Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 10:06 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Even banks treat cash as digital numbers in the end anyhow.
Money and currency are two different things. At the same time, there is none of either one in your checking or savings accounts. The bank has taken it all and used it for its own purposes. All you have is notional balances based on the bank's IOU promising to give you some money back if you ask for it and to honor any of your checks that may be presented for payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 10:09 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
Cash is one of the last vestiges of semi-privacy remaining. I believe that privacy is a need.

Zoo animals used to live for days or weeks as a rule. They had no privacy. When given privacy, their longevity expanded into months and, more often, years.

We feel unsafe, we feel vulnerable, when predators can stare at us 24/7. Government is the alpha predator who can't deliver letters with reliability. Yet they have all the bombs. And you want to give them even more power?

Old 07-15-2015, 10:14 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Cards are a hidden tax on the economy, payable to the banks. Aldi's, for example, only takes cash or cash equivalent as part of the way they keep grocery prices at a minimum. Besides, cash is the only safe way to buy off a politician.
We are now accepting credit card payments in all our stores. So there are more ways to pay for the quality and value that you've come to expect from Aldi. Aldi, in store, accepts cash, Visa Debit and credit, Maestro, Delta and Electron and MasterCard credit cards only. No cheques.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/about-aldi/in...card-in-store/

Old 07-15-2015, 11:14 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Privacy

Old 07-15-2015, 11:17 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Because anything other than cash leaves a written or cyber-record, leaves one's financial assets prey to hackers, and might one day tell Big Brother where to look. Any questions?

Old 07-15-2015, 11:59 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Just because you don't use cash anymore doesn't mean we all should. For a lot of people, cash is the only way they can control their spending habits. Swiping the card doesn't hurt nearly as much as handing over cash.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I would be fine with eliminating checks, haven't used one in years.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:40 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
I would think the eventual conversion to a cashless society is certain. The actual question is when.

Cash certainly has its own costs. Actually greater than that of the non cash alternative.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Cash seems to be a mixed blessing. Used to play an important role. But nowadays we tend to make payouts etc with various accounts and cards.

So why not just do away with it.

For simple transactions requiring making change and such we could print money locally of limited life. Maybe a month or two. Basically a script that pays using a data base to validate the individual notes.

It would certainly make it difficult to run an off the books business. You probably could find a way to do it but you would leave foot prints all over the place.

I am not even sure it costs anything. You remove the cash management function and all the clerical duties connected there to. And no more armored cars.

Won't really stop ripoffs but moves them to the cyber domain. And the financial community is pretty good at that. Been moving large sums around for many years with lttle trouble. Can it be dropped to a lower level of function.

Would you prefer a chip under your skin?

And you want to eliminate more jobs? Brilliant.

I have been in a few stores now where their systems are down and they can only accept cash, not credit, debit, or EBT. I remember one time the man behind me whining as he had no money on him. He was old enough to know better to at least walk around with some cash on you.

Also in the event of a natural disaster or some other event, good idea to have some cash on hand. You can't go to the ATM or run a debit/credit card if the grid is down.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Just because you don't use cash anymore doesn't mean we all should. For a lot of people, cash is the only way they can control their spending habits. Swiping the card doesn't hurt nearly as much as handing over cash.
Excellent point. I notice this with a lot of younger people, swiping the card for even $2 purchases. I highly doubt they track carefully where they go and what they spend.

If you want to budget your money, take a certain amount out of the ATM and when you see it starting to dwindle you're more careful about what you're spending. You can say I have $200 for the week and that's it.

If you're just swiping a card throughout the day, it's very easy to lose track of what your spending vs. opening a wallet and looking at what you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics