Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:03 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,191,826 times

Advertisements

A significant portion of high yield bonds (junk bonds) are compromised of energy bonds. The dramatic drop in crude prices have affected oil producer's ability to repay their debt; thus, increasing the risk of default. In addition to that, there is a lack of liquidity in high yield bonds, especially in the energy sector, which means investors will find themselves without the ability to get out in the event of a default.

The size of the high yield bond market is approximately $1.47 Trillion, which represents roughly 15% of all corporate bonds. Some estimates have placed the energy sector component of high yield bonds as high as $500 Billion, which adds a significant risk variable to the entire high yield bond market.

The volatility of this market probably plays a substantial role in determining whether or not to raise short term interest rates. This is a major concern, especially since it is estimated that 29% of high yield bond investors are insurance companies, 13% are mutual funds, and 28% are pension funds.

The price of crude will likely play a major role in the financial health of the entire market. If oil prices don't rise soon, many companies will likely default, which could result in the entire high yield bond market collapsing.

However, if oil prices rise too rapidly, it could also start a recession or at least invoke a panic in the market whereby a massive selloff ensues. The fact that the economy has very little momentum, even in the midst of low oil prices, is very disconcerting. Even worse, the same low interest rate utilized by the federal reserve to promote growth is what contributed to this mess because investors had to take higher risks in order to gain greater returns on their investments.

This means that the Federal Reserve may be powerless to stop this. What can they do?

Last edited by Jobster; 10-05-2015 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 06:25 PM

128 posts, read 116,179 times
As I have been saying on here repeatedly, the bond market (especially the "high yield"/junk) is the next big crash. We can revisit the thread within the next couple of years when it happens. Anyone buying this junk is going to wiped out just like the junk mortgage products back in '08. Watch and see.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Money View Post
As I have been saying on here repeatedly, the bond market (especially the "high yield"/junk) is the next big crash. We can revisit the thread within the next couple of years when it happens. Anyone buying this junk is going to wiped out just like the junk mortgage products back in '08. Watch and see.
It appears to be that way; however, I think the energy market is the sector that is struggling the most. If oil prices rebound to a reasonable rate that benefits both consumers and oil producers, I believe the market to be recoverable.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:11 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,561,102 times
And the worst part is people believe there is liquidity in this market.

Overall market is more than 2 trillions.

As you said mostly energy companies are there.

This is the only window for them to finance their costly operations.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:19 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
the high yield market is not very liquid at all . it can be hard to sell off some paper .

Old 10-06-2015, 11:31 AM

105 posts, read 113,827 times
You guys need to stop, your paranoid bubble talk is making me more bullish.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Pont View Post
Proceed at your own risk.

Saudi Arabia Cuts Oil Prices Amid OPEC Price War - WSJ

Old 10-06-2015, 07:58 PM

128 posts, read 116,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Pont View Post
Then you should buy some junk bonds. Load up in the bond market. We can fact check who was correct on the call. I say bonds are the next bubble to pop. Bullish on equities, and very bearish on bonds.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:44 PM

Even more disconcerting news about the present situation in the high yield bond market. There is also the possibility of contagion in markets with less risk exposure.

U.S. Junk Bonds See Highest Distressed Ratio Since '09, S&P Says - Bloomberg Business

Old 12-06-2015, 01:36 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,561,102 times
I love junk food and junk bonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics