Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 12:41 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Whatever it is, it's again of much higher quality than what you are providing.

And don't we have a lot of those here! But like it or not, Subway, Pizza Hut, Pollo Loco, and the like all offer a positive nutritional alternative for the urban poor and elderly who lack a place or means to purchase, store, and prepare meals for themselves.

You haven't accomplished as much as that as far as I have seen, Name-calling and nonsense-spewing don't really amount to much in my book.
I apologize. We must admire the Government Flunkies who suggest that the poor eat Ketchup and Pizza for a nutriticious diet. Was it Marie Antoinette who said "Let them eat cake!" while feasting in the royal palace (Washington D.C.)?

What poor need are good jobs and nutritious food not some silly SNAP program designed to feed Walmart and Pizza Hut with money.

Royalty changes form but the essence never changes.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:44 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,264 times
I love the sound of babbling hysteria in the afternoon.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:05 PM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Since I worked at a food bank, I can safely say that you are once again totally, unequivocally wrong. But that's what happens when one tries to understand real life by reading government propaganda sheets.
We volunteer at our food bank and we offer fresh fruits and vegetables. There are organizations set up that help funnel fresh food to participating food banks.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We volunteer at our food bank and we offer fresh fruits and vegetables. There are organizations set up that help funnel fresh food to participating food banks.
I worked at one of the largest in Chicago and never saw anything coming close to fresh. On the contrary we use to go through cans throwing out anything that was six months past expiration.

As I said, most food could be classified as life-sustaining or junk.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:19 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
I worked at one of the largest in Chicago and never saw anything coming close to fresh. On the contrary we use to go through cans throwing out anything that was six months past expiration.

As I said, most food could be classified as life-sustaining or junk.
How long ago was this?

Most food banks now try and distribute fresh fruit and vegetables. I've volunteered at the largest food bank in my area and one of the jobs I did was help sort and bag apples and other fresh fruit and vegetables.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
How long ago was this?

Most food banks now try and distribute fresh fruit and vegetables. I've volunteered at the largest food bank in my area and one of the jobs I did was help sort and bag apples and other fresh fruit and vegetables.
About two years ago. But I would pass by often and sometimes go in and didn't notice any fresh food at all. Mostly peanut butter, canned beans, canned corn, macaroni and cheese and bread. For the most part I would call the food nominally life-sustaining but ultimately unhealthy.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:44 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
About two years ago. But I would pass by often and sometimes go in and didn't notice any fresh food at all. Mostly peanut butter, canned beans, canned corn, macaroni and cheese and bread. For the most part I would call the food nominally life-sustaining but ultimately unhealthy.
Well the fresh food has a short shelf life so they probably tried to distribute it quickly to the extent they had any.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:24 PM

6,761 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What's your reasoning? Is it that only people who receive SNAP benefits have crappy diets, or is it that since the program is funded by taxes we have a right to decide what they should eat? If you use any one of a number of deductions in order to reduce the amount you pay for income tax, you are in essence depriving the government of revenue that could be used for something else, so does that convey a right for the government to impose restrictions on the kinds of food that you can buy?
I see, everything is the property of the government. They are just being nice and letting us working stiffs keep a bit of our paycheck?!

Old 11-06-2015, 02:28 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,264 times
The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived...

Old 11-06-2015, 02:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I see, everything is the property of the government. They are just being nice and letting us working stiffs keep a bit of our paycheck?!
How did you get that from what I said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics