Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 09:17 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Exactly ^^^

When I started my company, I worked night shift at my job, came home and worked on my company. I took out a huge loan and risked it all, did without, ran on very little sleep, no time with family, no social life and for some idiot politicians to say I didn't build that?

It's a damn shame the taxes I have to pay. I considered investing more of my money and hiring more people to grow but for what? I take the risk, and responsibility, all so I become a government slave? Democrats don't understand human nature.

No thank you. Let the poor employ the poor.
When I started a career in research science, I worked two or three jobs, came home and worked on my homework. I sacrificed a huge amount of potential earnings, did without a car (still do), no time with friends or family, no social life, for some idiot politicians to say, we won't fund your research, because we want low taxes?

It's a damn shame the research I can't do because of lack of funding. I considered investing more time into an academic career, but for what? I take REAL RISK. And for what, so I can find out yet again that there is no research funding, because people like you refuse to chip in?

Again, as in other threads, you are looking at only one side of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 09:19 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Did you take the risk? Or did the bank that loaned you all that money take the risk?
LOL, I took the risk. If my company failed I would be responsible for paying it back. Of course I am the type to keep my word and would have worked past retirement to do so. No, I wasn't a risk for them.

Nice try though.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I live in the U.S. And I work for MY money. Work for your own money.

Higher taxes won't hurt "rich" people. Their money is already in the bank. But you are ensuring that people in the middle class will never become rich.
Not true. People in the middle class have plenty of room to become millionaires in tax protected retirement accounts, if they max them out early.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
LOL, I took the risk. If my company failed I would be responsible for paying it back. Of course I am the type to keep my word and would have worked past retirement to do so. No, I wasn't a risk for them.

Nice try though.

If more people were like you we never would have had the mortgage crisis.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
When I started a career in research science, I worked two or three jobs, came home and worked on my homework. I sacrificed a huge amount of potential earnings, did without a car (still do), no time with friends or family, no social life, for some idiot politicians to say, we won't fund your research, because we want low taxes?

It's a damn shame the research I can't do because of lack of funding. I considered investing more time into an academic career, but for what? I take REAL RISK. And for what, so I can find out yet again that there is no research funding, because people like you refuse to chip in?

Again, as in other threads, you are looking at only one side of the story.
aaahh so there's you're take. You want me to pay high taxes so you can research.

Either way, I am not investing, hiring more people to fund your research. Let the poor hire the poor so they can pay taxes to fund your research.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
aaahh so there's you're take. You want me to pay high taxes so you can research.

Either way, I am not investing, hiring more people to fund your research. Let the poor hire the poor so they can pay taxes to fund your research.
Either way, I'm not going into academia, to give you better technology in 20 years. You'll just have to suck up the slow progress. Let the greedy hire the greedy to leave some room for the non-greedy to work for you in the future under slave conditions.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:25 PM

50 posts, read 47,697 times
Quote:
There are always going to be net winners and net losers for any policy. To counter your tale, people getting government funding for science research in many cases spent many years building themselves up in their career...only to have the funding snatched away because people would rather lose our nation's edge in science than pay an extra few bucks each year in taxes.

The "I worked so hard and lost it all because of [decisions made in Washington]" argument cuts both ways.
A few extra bucks here, a few extra bucks there....

All is well and fine until working class people just don't have any more EXTRA bucks. That's what people can't seem to get though their heads. No matter how exceptional a government funded program is, there comes a point when working middle-class money just WILL NOT be there for the taking any longer. Simple math.

Idealism is a wonderful thing, but it's financed by realism. And financial realism is indisputable - just look at the spending figures; they're staggering, with no end in sight. Tax Freedom Day gets pushed back further and further each year, yet all we hear about are budget shortfalls and see an ever-increasing debt load.

Why is this? Lack of funds? No. Lack of responsible spending? Yes.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMunster View Post

All is well and fine until working class people just don't have any more EXTRA bucks. That's what people can't seem to get though their heads. No matter how exceptional a government funded program is, there comes a point when working middle-class money just WILL NOT be there for the taking any longer. Simple math.

Idealism is a wonderful thing, but it's financed by realism. And financial realism is indisputable - just look at the spending figures; they're staggering, with no end in sight. Tax Freedom Day gets pushed back further and further each year, yet all we hear about are budget shortfalls and see an ever-increasing debt load.

And when in the year is tax freedom day for most EU countries?

Old 02-27-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
If more people were like you we never would have had the mortgage crisis.
That's right.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMunster View Post

Be grateful you own your home; taxes are higher on rental property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics