Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:07 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
(FORTUNE Small Business) -- Ever since eBay (EBAY, Fortune 500) announced changes to its feedback rules and fee structure last week, sellers have been irate, exploding onto message boards and blogs with discussions about how the new policies will affect their businesses. But when the idea of a strike was floated, some sellers and buyers decided to get more organized about expressing their displeasure.
Outraged eBay sellers plot strike week - Feb. 7, 2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:46 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Millions of people buy and sell on eBay every day. A couple thousand 'strikers' are not going to affect anything.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
It will have an affect. But sellers are going to sell where buyers do the most buying. I for one and sick of being worried about leaving negative feedback for a bad experience and getting a negative in reply. On my old account which I forgot the pswd and lost the email addy so couldnt achieve I had two negatives.

One, I paid immediately for a product to come from NY. I paid immediately as I watched the bidding. It took two weeks for him to even ship it. I had to convince the fool that New Mexico was in the USA and no Mexico and I HAD paid enough for US shipping. You wouldnt believe the emails that I had to send him. Even a map of the US and he wouldnt believe me. So I got a negative cause he was dumb.

The other one was a wrong product was sent and it took me2 months to get the correct one. I leave a negative rep and got one in retalliation. I did pay immediately with that one too. I think its a good move on eBay's part.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Millions of people buy and sell on eBay every day. A couple thousand 'strikers' are not going to affect anything.
I agree. Some opportunists will probably do more listings than usual that week to take advantage of the absence of some competitors.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:15 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,510 times
If i was a seller this would be good news for me, less competition.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:30 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
If i was a seller this would be good news for me, less competition.
Hike your prices sellers!

btw, what IS the new rate structure? I never saw anything in any article about what was changed...

Old 02-12-2008, 03:31 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
I think that the sellers have a right to know of dead-beat buyers, but I've always wondered why, when I pay for an item minutes after the close, I still get no feedback from the seller until I put one in for him, sometimes weeks later when the item arrives. Are they waiting to see whether I give negative or not? Maybe, as they can't see who rates their shipping rates, speed, communications... they should not see who gives the feedback, and the feedback should be put in as a group, perhaps once per month.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Hike your prices sellers!

btw, what IS the new rate structure? I never saw anything in any article about what was changed...
One of the news articles stated the fee went from 10% to 12% of sales. (plus of course the paypal.com fees.

I stopped using ebay a long, long time ago and have moved elsewhere.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Well IMO ebay is just trying to cover their losses from all the unsavory (and vast majority) of sellers who up the cost of shipping and "handling", to avoid paying ebay the fees they are due. So many list the item for $5.99, but want $20 S&H for a child's size 5 sweater. Not all sellers do this... not the ones I bid with anyway.

The feedback change is great. Back when I first signed up on ebay, you bid, paid, the seller left feedback, you received your item, then left feedback for the seller. Now the sellers hold feedback for buyers hostage and often send emails requesting feedback, reminding buyers that if you neg them, they'll neg you back even if you do nothing wrong. I always reply that although I finished my end of the transaction X number of days ago, I still haven't received feedback from them. When and if they leave me feedback, I will return the favor. I go on to say that if they truly just want to know that I got my item alright, I will shoot them an email, but that blackmail doesn't work on me.

My feedback score is 85, although I've done literally HUNDREDS of transactions on ebay... but most of mine are from 2001 and before. That's about when ebay "changed".

When's that strike again? I'll be sure to be actively bidding on that day(s).

Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
I think the "feedback" system on ebay has long been broken.

I bought a car from a fellow with excellent feedback, and over a hundred cars sold. When I got my car, which was delayed four months by the seller, it was almost a total piece of junk, with blown head gaskets and almost none of the features (ABS, Cruise, A/C, Central Locking, SRS, heated seats, block heater) working. The brakes were rusted away to a non-functional state. Seller refused to do anything about the misrepresentation and fraud, or the $1,500 in shipping charges for junk.

I contacted twenty of his prior buyers (I know, that's not within ebay rules) and asked how their cars were. Every one of them had similar problems, although not all as bad as mine. All were afraid to post negative feedback because they didn't want to get negative from the seller.

Many people lost a lot of money because nobody would report the truth about the seller.

Turned out the seller was under investigation by the Fed's for odometer fraud, and was convicted of over 24 counts of odo roll-backs. Sentenced to 18 months in fed prison, plus heavy fines.

I had another seller with a ebay clothing store, 1000's of items, 98% rating, no negatives. I purchased a new name brand article and he shipped a used, damaged, soiled, 2nd of that name brand. I asked him for a return authorization and refund, and he demanded that I pay the freight on it both ways. Once back to him, he sent a partial refund check which he stopped payment on before he mailed it to me. Again, I contacted several of his other buyers, and about half had received 2nd's instead of top quality merchandise. All were afraid to post negative feedback, all posted good feedback even if they'd been ripped off.

I recently bought a car technical manual from another seller. His ad said nothing about his service and handling fees for shipping, and did say he'd ship USPS Media Mail. I knew that the postage would be about $1.85, and an envelope another $1.00. After the auction, the seller wanted $15.00 to mail my $5.00 manual. I told him I wouldn't pay him that kind of money to send something in the mail ... and refused to complete the deal. Upon closer reading of his feedback, I found that many others had the same experience, and were unhappy ... but still gave him positive feedback. When the seller tried to get me under ebay's non-payment policy, I forwarded them the emails that the seller and I had prior to my bidding on the item. Ebay removed the non-payment complaint and the unfounded negative rating on me from the seller, and my negative rating for him still stands. Unethical to demand an outrageous handling fee only after an auction is completed. If you're going to make shipping and handling a profit center, then at least be upfront about it so a buyer can decide to do business with you.

I had another seller realize after I'd won a item on his auction that his automated software had listed an item (he'd had 10 each to sell) which he'd sold out of because he'd replaced a defective unit to a prior buyer. But instead of promptly refunding my immediate PayPal payment, he dragged me around for two months. Claimed that if I'd purchased the optional USPS Insurance, that they'd have paid the claim. Only he had no USPS proof of mailing the item, which he had admitted he couldn't have mailed because he didn't have it to ship. So, USPS would not have paid a claim because they'd never had the item to lose or damaage. Another bullsh** seller ... worthy of my negative rating, but the seller dragged the refund process out so long that I couldn't post the negative.

I have a number of similar experiences with other unethical or fraud sellers. All with positive ratings in the high 90's.

Much as I like the ebay forum and have bought a lot of merchandise there, ebay is wide open right now to other online auction companies that will have better buyer protection. I'd leave ebay in a heartbeat to try somebody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics