Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 03:01 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable!!

I can not believe this

Quote:
The U.S. put economies including China, Japan and Germany on a new currency watch list, saying that their foreign-exchange practices bear close monitoring to gauge if they provide an unfair trade advantage over America.

The inaugural list also includes South Korea and Taiwan, the Treasury said Friday in a revamped version of its semi-annual report on the foreign-exchange policies of major U.S. trading partners. The five economies met two of three of the criteria used to judge unfair practices under a February law that seeks to enforce U.S. trade interests. Meeting all three would trigger action by the president to enter discussions with the country and seek potential penalties.
U.S. Puts China, Japan on New Watch List for Unfair FX Practices - Bloomberg

They are doing basically everything Donald said, hope it's not too late.

If they try anything with their currencies we're gonna put the screws to them

Obviously we should target countries with large surpluses.

And i mean just look at this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

We almost have deficit with every country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 06:07 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Interesting that Germany is on that list. Are they worried that the EU engages in unfair trading practices? I personally don't think we should try to anger the EU, trade between the US and the EU has been fairly even over time. Germany just has a large trade surplus because its economy is so much better than the rest of the Eurozone. China is probably the only one on that list with blatant currency manipulation.

I agree that more regulations should be put on China. However putting huge tariffs on all of our trade partners will hurt the economy more than it helps it. For example Boeing would have to move large portions of its production outside the United States in order to avoid the tariffs. Airbus has recently moved one of their factories to the US while Boeing planes are still being exported from the US to the EU. Companies like Ryanair and Norwegian Air have hundreds of Boeing planes on order ready to be exported from the EU to the US. Examples like this show that the US trade policies haven't been total failures and its not all doom and gloom like Trump tries to portray it.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Interesting that Germany is on that list. Are they worried that the EU engages in unfair trading practices? I personally don't think we should try to anger the EU, trade between the US and the EU has been fairly even over time. Germany just has a large trade surplus because its economy is so much better than the rest of the Eurozone. China is probably the only one on that list with blatant currency manipulation.

I agree that more regulations should be put on China. However putting huge tariffs on all of our trade partners will hurt the economy more than it helps it. For example Boeing would have to move large portions of its production outside the United States in order to avoid the tariffs. Airbus has recently moved one of their factories to the US while Boeing planes are still being exported from the US to the EU. Companies like Ryanair and Norwegian Air have hundreds of Boeing planes on order ready to be exported from the EU to the US. Examples like this show that the US trade policies haven't been total failures and its not all doom and gloom like Trump tries to portray it.
Euro is depreciating at an unprecedented rate recently.

And many expect it will move below parity.

Now if this happens we have a very scary situation.

Japan is the same.

But recently all of their efforts backfired

Old 04-30-2016, 06:31 PM

True the Euro has been depreciating recently. The reason for this is because the US economy has been doing better than the Eurozone economy in the past year. I'd rather have a higher valued currency with a good economy than a devalued currency and a recession. There are certainly positives and negatives to free trade and we could spend all day arguing about them haha. And the Euro did fall below parity in 2000-2001 so the current exchange rates aren't unprecedented.

One thing I agree with you on is China's unfair trade practices. The TPP is basically a trade agreement that says FU to china so it will be interesting to see the details on how that will play out. Free trade with countries like Vietnam might hurt Chinese jobs more than it hurts American jobs.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
True the Euro has been depreciating recently. The reason for this is because the US economy has been doing better than the Eurozone economy in the past year. I'd rather have a higher valued currency with a good economy than a devalued currency and a recession. There are certainly positives and negatives to free trade and we could spend all day arguing about them haha. And the Euro did fall below parity in 2000-2001 so the current exchange rates aren't unprecedented.

One thing I agree with you on is China's unfair trade practices. The TPP is basically a trade agreement that says FU to china so it will be interesting to see the details on how that will play out. Free trade with countries like Vietnam might hurt Chinese jobs more than it hurts American jobs.
I wish i could believe that.

It may hurt China but it'll totally destroy our job market.

This thing will be 10x NAFTA!!

Free trade with these countries is basically saying bye bye to our manufacturing jobs.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I wish i could believe that.

It may hurt China but it'll totally destroy our job market.

This thing will be 10x NAFTA!!

Free trade with these countries is basically saying bye bye to our manufacturing jobs.
I agree with you the TPP might not be the best idea. I'm more in favor of the TTIP, there are a lot more fords driving around in Europe than in Japan. Also I would love to see better harmonization of US EU standards so more European only cars could enter our shores but that's just me being selfish .

Old 05-01-2016, 07:43 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
So the Treasury Department has put together a list of countries that manipulate currency values. I don't think I need to hold my hat. Starting at home, are there any countries that do not manipulate currency values?

Old 05-01-2016, 08:14 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Based on this description of currency manipulation: Infographic: How China Manipulates Its Currency - The Atlantic

...I don't see the problem. If we were running a surplus with China, would we really be okay with their currency being used in general circulation here?

...maybe there is more to it that I don't inderstand?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:23 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Based on this description of currency manipulation: Infographic: How China Manipulates Its Currency - The Atlantic

...I don't see the problem. If we were running a surplus with China, would we really be okay with their currency being used in general circulation here?

...maybe there is more to it that I don't inderstand?
So far China has severely restricted the export and use of yuan in most of the world. Today it would be of no use in the USA. But that is finally changing, and maybe in a decade or a generation of time we will have the opportunity to gain with yuan based investments.

Our trade with China is done in USD not yuan.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
So far China has severely restricted the export and use of yuan in most of the world. Today it would be of no use in the USA. But that is finally changing, and maybe in a decade or a generation of time we will have the opportunity to gain with yuan based investments.

Our trade with China is done in USD not yuan.
And for the better, All we have to do is write them a check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics