Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:19 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
About 1/3 of the houses in the U.S. are paid for and have no mortgage.
Yup but don't let a fact interfere with an odd rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 08:19 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Not everyone wants to rent for the rest of their lives. If Bay Area houses weren't stupid expensive I'd have my own 1200 square foot tract home.
Maybe one day you can leave the area and afford to own.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:20 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
One issue is past generations were happy in more modest homes. I am in my early 50s, when I was growing up their was an area just north of the then country club that was were the rich lived. There were two distinct portions to it, the mansion district where the manufacturing magnets lived and then the other good are where the Doctors, Lawyers and CEO types lived. This latter area was mostly very well made brick ranches (built in the 50s and 60s) and Cape Codes. Most were two bedroom 1 bath homes and a few three bedroom 1 bath, very little in the way of 2 bath homes back then. This was the place my parents drove us through on Sundays to see how the rick lived. It was a place to aspire to.

So, a few decades later I bought a one of the ranches in the area. By then the doctors and lawyers were gone and most of the houses were owned by teachers, policemen, and firemen. Now they are gone an ethnic minorities are moving in. The area is still very nice, but what has happened is people simply moved a bit west to newer constructions, 4 bedroom 3 bath homes with 2-3 car garages. Along with that increase in home size came an increase in expenditures. Bu that is where you now find the policemen, firemen and teachers. The Doctors and Lawyers, they moved out to a new community with much higher average incomes and housing prices. As I know the finances of many of these folks, I'll just say they may have a large house but not a lot else in terms of assets or equity in their home.

The point is you can pretty much chalk it up to conspicuous consumption. What was good enough for a doctor or lawyer 40 years ago is not even good enough for teacher or police officer today.
I wish neighborhoods like that exists in the Bay Area. Nowadays it's 500 grand for a former lower middle class neighborhood in the ghetto.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:20 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Would the proceeds of the sale be enough to pay off your current house? just curious...
why does it matter? I have no problems paying my mortgage. and they aren't my property to sell for my own benefit.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:21 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,018 times
Quote:
Maybe one day you can leave the area and afford to own.
Sorry. I will die in summers above 90 degrees. I can't leave. It's a health problem.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:22 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
why does it matter? I have no problems paying my mortgage. and they aren't my property to sell for my own benefit.
your ability to pay the mortgage has no impact on the question that was asked of you

Old 06-19-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I am just wondering why so many people still have mortgage/rent payments "by necessity" if they're able to inherit paid-for houses from the previous generations. Why can't they sell the last generation's houses to pay off their own?

Old 06-19-2016, 08:26 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,637 times
Quote:
Not what I said. I said honobob seems to think that you can have a net worth of $200 with a paid off mortgage, thus, I concluded he must think net worth is something other than assets - liabilities...
I DID say you can have a PAID off house and a net worth of $200. But I CORRECTLY state that net worth is A - L. It is sad that you and lowerexpectations have almost 2,100 posts between you and CAN NOT figure this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Sorry. I will die in summers above 90 degrees. I can't leave. It's a health problem.
Then try a cheaper place on the immediate West Coast, their summers are just as cool, like Oregon or Washington coasts?

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
I am just wondering why so many people still have mortgage/rent payments "by necessity" if they're able to inherit paid-for houses from the previous generations. Why can't they sell the last generation's houses to pay off their own?
Not everyone inherits anything much less a paid for house. And if you do, you might be splitting proceeds with siblings and receiving much less than the value of the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics