Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 07:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In 15 years have you built up even for a down payment on property?

We have a number of friends and neighbors who are getting $700 to $800/month from SSI or SSDI. They are predominately homeowners.

??? Making $15K a year and paying half for shelter, plus student loan payments and I'm supposed to save up how much?

How do people on SSI buy homes? I know people on SSDI who own homes but they bought long before they became disabled, so they had low locked in mortgage payments lower than my room rent..

Old 08-18-2016, 09:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Submariner has posted that Maine Real Estate can be very inexpensive depending on area.

I think we had this same discussion years back and I posted a dozen single family homes in Detroit under $6k...

I appreciate a good discussion... what I have found is the discussion isn't about home ownership as much as it is not being able to afford the location/home desired.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:27 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
here in nyc in 2008-2009 we did not see rents come down but we did see perks offered like 1 free month
My rent came down from $3250 to $2950....for a Manhattan loft studio (which some people would call a one bedroom). Not a great bargain at either price. It was a second home so I let it go when I retired in '09.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:59 AM

106,735 posts, read 108,937,910 times
you were lucky but for the most part the name of the game was just perks . we actually had rents go up in 2008-2009 both our own and on the co-ops we rent out in the city .

right now in nyc 2017 will be the 2nd year in a row for zero rent increases on 1/2 the entire housing stock in manhattan and the boroughs and millions of people escaped increases . our building owners where we live were shrewd , no rent increase so they jacked up the indoor parking spots to 200 bucks a month which was a 40.00 increase .

Old 08-19-2016, 07:23 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Submariner has posted that Maine Real Estate can be very inexpensive depending on area.

I think we had this same discussion years back and I posted a dozen single family homes in Detroit under $6k...

I appreciate a good discussion... what I have found is the discussion isn't about home ownership as much as it is not being able to afford the location/home desired.
Or a place that doesn't have a 20% unemployment rate?

Old 08-19-2016, 07:35 AM

co-ops can be very reasonable here in nyc . depending on area they can be a fraction of the cost of a house or condo and still provide the benefits of ownership.

we can afford a home but if we buy anything next year it will be another co-op . my daughter bought a co-op in a nice area in howard beach queens for about 150k and that is a two bedroom . 1 bedrooms are cheaper .

Old 08-19-2016, 11:36 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Co-ops are often very exclusionary as my High School friend found out...

He is very accomplished in the theater business... acting, producing, original scores, etc... we have caught several of his productions when they left New York and opened in San Francisco...

He has twice been turned down my co-op members where he wanted to buy in...

Hard to believe because one he was paying cash and is a really good guy and straight shooter.. the reason given is he was not a family person and would be away for months at a time so not a good fit for the community.

True New Yorker in that he doesn't even own a car...

Old 08-19-2016, 11:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Or a place that doesn't have a 20% unemployment rate?
Where is that? Even Detroit is only at 10.2%.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:45 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
Quote:

Yeah but jobs there are like winning the lottery. When I lived in Boston I looked for jobs up in Maine for months. If people get a job there they hold onto it with a kung-fu grip.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Co-ops are often very exclusionary as my High School friend found out...

He is very accomplished in the theater business... acting, producing, original scores, etc... we have caught several of his productions when they left New York and opened in San Francisco...

He has twice been turned down my co-op members where he wanted to buy in...

Hard to believe because one he was paying cash and is a really good guy and straight shooter.. the reason given is he was not a family person and would be away for months at a time so not a good fit for the community.

True New Yorker in that he doesn't even own a car...
most co-ops not at the high end are really not choosy at all . as long as you meet the financial criteria generally you are good to go .

but they can be strict on that since if you don't pay your maintenance everyone else has to pony up until they foreclose on the apartment .

in the non high end apartments if you are turned down there is generally a pretty good reason .

our kids all owned co-op's as their first apartments with no problems at all . in fact they were just starting out and did not even have long term credit history's yet

we are thinking of buying one next year and no job's are fine with them as long as you have assets . in many high end buildings that is not the case ..

the co-op structure lends itself well to people with lower incomes and assets .

because many buildings have their own piece of the apartment price held by the building mortgage your bank is only on the hook for a piece of the apartment . another bank and loan is holding the rest of your purchase price .

the banks are more inclined to loan you money when they are not on the hook for so much .

if the building was condo maybe you would need a mortgage for 400k . but structured as a co-op ,maybe you need only a 250k mortgage and the rest is held by the building and is included in your maintenance fee .

this structure was favorable when landlords took rentals co-op and they needed tenants to be able to buy in order to make the conversion happen .

banks tended to be more willing to loan smaller amounts to the less wealthy tenants .

since landlords needed a light at the end of the tunnel to get out from under rent stabilization because politicians duped them and this was a perfect way .

generally co-ops are popular in areas with some form of rent stabilization .

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-20-2016 at 03:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics