Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 07:13 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times

Advertisements

Jobs will never come back as long as we have open-door immigration and a Big Government that serves Big Business. So, until the U.S. completely collapses, there will be no job growth to create a demand for workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 02:45 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
.....So, until the U.S. completely collapses, there will be no job growth to create a demand for workers.
The only way back to a truly 'organic' economy (one that is able to grow, mature, bear fruit, and then decay into depression - which is the inevitable cycle) is through the hell of higher interest rates, default, and bankruptcy. That's right, we have to go thru the Dark Forest first.

Protecting old debt, bed debt, the over-leveraged individuals and businesess only means continued denial of reality and the horrible moral lesson of 'borrow, borrow, borrow' because economic growth is perpetual and we will always be richer, always generate more income than our debts require us to pay. This is a lie, of course. Bad loans, heavy indebtedness, and insolvent banks are suffocating the capital system. We desperately need de-leveraging, even if it's painful. This 'avoid pain at any cost' philosophy is what got us into this problem.

Protecting the status quo in history leads to a financial and social tsunami. Japan is trying to protect the old men who run their world, the one's who stand to lose their empire if rates go up and bad loans (as both creditors and as debtors) are flushed out and exposed. It's the same in America. I say flush them out - let's get on with history. What are we waiting for? The next generation to have to do it for us?

Old 10-07-2016, 03:56 AM

193 posts, read 183,374 times
I keep seeing this commercial that Wal-Mart is investing $250 billion in u.s. manufacturing. That should help right?

Old 10-10-2016, 10:53 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maraging View Post
I keep seeing this commercial that Wal-Mart is investing $250 billion in u.s. manufacturing. That should help right?
I suppose it may help the folks collecting the money from the commercial.

Would not regard the words too highly.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maraging View Post
I suppose it depends on how they define "US manufacturing. We were looking at TVs there a couple of years ago, and one had a big red burst on the box with large letters that said "Built in the USA" but there was very small print below it that said "from parts made in China."

Old 10-13-2016, 12:40 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I suppose it depends on how they define "US manufacturing. We were looking at TVs there a couple of years ago, and one had a big red burst on the box with large letters that said "Built in the USA" but there was very small print below it that said "from parts made in China."
I was wondering why so many items now are saying built in USA instead of made in USA. What a shame!!!

Old 10-13-2016, 02:27 AM

123 posts, read 104,018 times
I see jobs all around me. Everyone that I know is employed. I'm in my 20s and make 6 figures. The economy seems pretty great to me.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:31 AM

123 posts, read 104,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Manufacturing is way cheaper in China. I run a small side business. I have all of my products made and designed in China. I'd love to have it made in America, but my margins wouldn't support that. As it is, I'm getting robbed blind by small business taxes. Very few businesses would be sustainable if they employed primarily American workers.

And, as it has been said in many other threads, millennials are extremely lazy. Even if I hired American workers, I can't be sure that the jobs would ever get done or if they would even show up.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:12 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,020,173 times
There was once a large textile manufacturing industry centered in New England because there was abundant water power there to run the mills. As other energy sources became viable, textiles moved to the South to take advantage of lower labor costs. Then they went off to Mexico. Then they went to China. Now they are in Bangladesh and Vietnam. This is where they belong today. The US needs to focus on what others cannot do just as well as we can while doing it more cheaply.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:23 AM

35,080 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianapolis Jones View Post
I see jobs all around me. Everyone that I know is employed. I'm in my 20s and make 6 figures. The economy seems pretty great to me.
Are you actually in Indianapolis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics