Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 07:15 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,020,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't particularly like Elizabeth Warren or agree with everything she said in the book. But the fact is, most 2 income couples DO buy a house based on both incomes. I don't think it's smart. But it is a fact.
Buying a house and having a family are what most young couples have been about for a long time. In mortgage terms, what difference would it make if their combined incomes were 100% from X versus 50% from each of X and Y? Unless one is irrationally cowering in a corner over fears of impending attack by the Divorce Bunny, it would be NOT putting total resources to use that would make no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The book was called "The Two Income Trap". While Warren does play the victim card a bit too often for my liking, it did have a lot of practical information in it. The odd thing was that I pretty much figured this stuff out when I was 20 years old circa 1990 that 2 income couples just inflated the cost of housing because they bought based on 2 incomes. I thought this was self evident to everyone and was surprised anyone needed someone to write a book to tell them that. But I've learned as I've gotten older I am the oddball in these matters.
Let's consider in the 1970's stagnating paychecks in the face of accelerating inflation from too much Vietnam and two oil shocks. Let's consider also that women have at last made their way into higher education and are now poised and eager with their new degrees for full-time employment. Warren notes in her book the utility of a non-working spouse in being available to work as circumstances might warrant. She cites a time in her own family history when her Dad was laid off and her Mom was able to take a department store job to help tide them all over. Why in the world would young couples since not face the same sorts of challenges by doing the same sorts of thing?

Old 11-10-2016, 07:35 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Buying a house and having a family are what most young couples have been about for a long time. In mortgage terms, what difference would it make if their combined incomes were 100% from X versus 50% from each of X and Y? Unless one is irrationally cowering in a corner over fears of impending attack by the Divorce Bunny, it would be NOT putting total resources to use that would make no sense.

Let's consider in the 1970's stagnating paychecks in the face of accelerating inflation from too much Vietnam and two oil shocks. Let's consider also that women have at last made their way into higher education and are now poised and eager with their new degrees for full-time employment. Warren notes in her book the utility of a non-working spouse in being available to work as circumstances might warrant. She cites a time in her own family history when her Dad was laid off and her Mom was able to take a department store job to help tide them all over. Why in the world would young couples since not face the same sorts of challenges by doing the same sorts of thing?
If the man is making 100% of income why would he need the wife except for minuscule tax benefits?He could just buy the house by himself and live a playboy lifestyle like Howard Hughes/Hugh Hefner. It definitely doesn't match the rate of risk from divorce + alimony

Old 11-10-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
If the man is making 100% of income why would he need the wife except for minuscule tax benefits?He could just buy the house by himself and live a playboy lifestyle like Howard Hughes/Hugh Hefner. It definitely doesn't match the rate of risk from divorce + alimony
I would suggest that you are definitely not understanding the dynamics at work here. Start with an assumption that everything should be monetized.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:06 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I'm cohabiting but we'd be better off married for tax purposes. Also it would be nice to carry him on my health insurance. Plus, if something happens to one of us, our kids could cause problems, not that they would.

I think senior citizens on fixed incomes can lose some benefit$ if they get married.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
The book titled the Millionaire Next Door cited a "Good First Marriage" as a common shared trait...

No doubt a bad marriage can leave Nuclear devastation...

Old 11-10-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I would suggest that you are definitely not understanding the dynamics at work here. Start with an assumption that everything should be monetized.
You can quantify the risk of alimony and child support

Old 11-10-2016, 03:22 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm cohabiting but we'd be better off married for tax purposes. Also it would be nice to carry him on my health insurance. Plus, if something happens to one of us, our kids could cause problems, not that they would.
The dynamics of marriage vs. cohabitation are considerably affected by the advent of children. Really, the operative question is whether two child-free single professionals ought to marry or to continue cohabitation, and to what extent this question is financially-driven.

Quote:
The point, I think, is that not all of the elations or travails of life can be assigned a monetary value, or reduced to mere calculation.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
You can also minimize it by not being or behaving like a boor. I'm already 46 years happily hitched myself, and if I had it to do over, that''s where I'd start off once again. It's amazing what the payoffs are in life simply for not being a jerk.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The dynamics of marriage vs. cohabitation are considerably affected by the advent of children. Really, the operative question is whether two child-free single professionals ought to marry or to continue cohabitation, and to what extent this question is financially-driven.

The point, I think, is that not all of the elations or travails of life can be assigned a monetary value, or reduced to mere calculation.
Isn't that why dumb hipster metrosexual techies who got really lucky with their private start up stock pay 1 million dollars + for a 3 bedroom 1 bath 1200 square foot ranch home in a subdivision that was built for the middle class on the SF Bay Area peninsula? Benefits that can't be assigned a monetary value??

Old 11-10-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
You can also minimize it by not being or behaving like a boor. I'm already 46 years happily hitched myself, and if I had it to do over, that''s where I'd start off once again. It's amazing what the payoffs are in life simply for not being a jerk.
Until the woman leaves you because she's bored and takes half your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics