Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 12:05 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
You are NOT lucky at all, you actually made a huge financial mistake and financial suicide. You took a low interest rates mortgage on overpriced house in speculative market = Phoenix. When interest rates go up your house value is going to deflate.

Why would you take a mortgage @ 3.25% for 30 years when you know that interest rates can't go any lower and are actually going higher??????????????? When buying a house the goal is to lock LOW PURCHASING PRICE and not low interest rate. It is better to buy a house when interest rates are higher then when interest rates are low. You will secure low purchasing price because when interest rates are high purchasing price is lower. Then when interest rates are lowered again you finance and lower your payment + gain some home equity. You did everything wrong, you were lured by low interest rates and you signed a mortgage for overinflated and overpriced house.

Lower interest rates = higher housing prices
Higher interest rates = lower housing prices.

Good Luck to you friend, you will need it in next few years!!!!
Generally speaking, you are correct. It does depend on the specific market though. Some markets will be able to absorb a slow rise in rates. Others like Phoenix will be decimated. I totally agree that a low purchase price should be the target, not the mortgage rate. Buyers these days are too focused on the payment amount.

Personally, I'm hoping rates skyrocket. We've been on the sidelines preparing for the right buying opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 01:24 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
I have lived through three red hot housing markets and they were all at different interest rates. The first was when rates were in the teens and my house nearly doubled in two years. There are so many different which go into determining prices that you cannot single out just one or two. Nevertheless, a major factor is the cultural propensity people have to want to own their home and which means that they will make every effort and many sacrifices to do so. We are not a nation of renters.

In terms of property values, in the two very different markets where I own houses (Arizona and Massachusetts), values have not yet recovered to 2007-2008 prices and it is quite possible to buy a nice home in the $200,000 - $350,000 range. Where we are in Arizona, property does not sell especially fast. In Massachusetts it is much better.

For myself, I am four years in to a 15 years fixed at 3.125%. An increase in interest rates would be very good for my savings and investments. I welcome one.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:55 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It was not a mansion either. It was 2800 sqft with about 1/4 acres.
Pretty big. Let me guess Newport Beach? Anaheim hills?

Old 11-24-2016, 04:01 PM

106,735 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Note to files: Interest rates and asset prices are inversely related.

That's all in this post, but that's not all in the real world. Out there, many other factors can also come into play.
except the last 45 years every time the fed raised short term rates 1% or more the intermediate term bonds went up in value that year . the only exception was 1994 when bonds fell as short term rates went up .

so there is more to your story too then just a flat out rule .

the left is how much rates went up on the short end . the right is how much an intermediate bond went up that year .

Old 11-24-2016, 04:13 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,022,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
so there is more to your story too then just a flat out rule .
Exactly as I said. The rule is still a rule however, even when it is some part of a choir and not the featured soloist.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:17 PM

nope it ain't a rule . stocks still go up when rates go up too . so do home prices . in fact study's show stocks are not as effected by rates going up as they are to the speed that rates go up . slow gradual rises have been fine and assets still go up .. the level of rates also determines if yields and stocks are correlated or not .

if anything it shows there is no rule .

Old 11-24-2016, 05:39 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nope it ain't a rule . stocks still go up when rates go up too . so do home prices . in fact study's show stocks are not as effected by rates going up as they are to the speed that rates go up . slow gradual rises have been fine and assets still go up .. the level of rates also determines if yields and stocks are correlated or not .

if anything it shows there is no rule .

Too bad bay area real estate has outperformed stocks with rental dividends factored in since 1958.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:44 PM

who cares , it has nothing to do with this discussion .

Old 11-24-2016, 07:10 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,224,796 times
My dear friends, the real underlying questions is: are interest rates going up? If so, stocks, housing/real estate, gold all become less attractive. Also, interest rates rising suggests US Dollar strength. It is my view that the US Dollar, when strong, is a Global Deflation Machine. So higher interest rates and strong US dollar will CRUSH Real Estate Market, will cut those phony and overinflated prices in half and more.

What about real estate speculators and wanna be slumlords who bought two-three additional properties besides their own primary residence? A strong Dollar will crucify them, will flush them thru the sewage system.

We are in a very bad place. Our leaders have engineered a Great Global Debt Mirage. Debt makes you think the economy is growing. But, as the song says: "It aint necessarily so." Strong US Dollar + Higher Interest rates = very bad combination for Real Estate Prices and Valuations!!!!

Good Luck, because many of you are going to need it. Especially if you bought a house or two in the last few years during this fake hype!!!!

Old 11-24-2016, 07:23 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Pretty big. Let me guess Newport Beach? Anaheim hills?
No, Laguna Niguel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics