Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:58 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
unless those 15 million are youngin's and not part of the labor force .
Some. And lots of older people. 11 million more of them are 65+ who mostly don't work in 2014 than 2000. My 90-year-old grandmother, such a slacker for not having a job.
2000-2010 saw a very modest growth in under 18 population, so mostly it's that there's a lot more older people rather than a lot of children who should be in the sweat shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 02:13 PM

587 posts, read 305,259 times
Seasonal hiring,

Election Year,

Also I could grab any bum off a street corner and have him throw 10 trillion into the economy,

And yeah its gonna get better.

Obamas secret.

Sooner or later you gotta pay piper

Old 12-04-2016, 03:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
See a big jump in hiring in November. It happens every year no matter what.

Remember there are a lot of people hired part time and some full time for the Holiday period. This all counts as new hires. January 10, and the big majority of them are laid off. Happens every year. When people get excited due to big jumps in hiring in November, it shows they have never been around doing the hiring for the holiday period and really don't know what is going on in the employment picture. And the majority of those November new hires will be for low pay jobs, not the ones that take care of a family.

The ones hiring, will be restaurants, retail, delivery services, warehouses, and other low paid jobs. A lot of people that have no future with the company. I know when in the retail field, I hired a lot of people for a couple of months, and as soon as business fell of back to normal or below normal due to winter weather conditions slowing down business, l laid them off as soon as business did it's natural decline. Just as the employers do today.

A lot of those hired, were not in the normal employment picture as they were housewives, retired men and woman, college students, etc., who wanted to earn a little money for Christmas.

Getting excited about a big bunch of people being hired in November and thinks that good jobs are opening up again, is kind of silly.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
Too bad most of them pay nothing and have no benefits or insurance. It will take decent jobs to get the country back on track and get an engaged workforce.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,592,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

Remember there are a lot of people hired part time and some full time for the Holiday period. This all counts as new hires. January 10, and the big majority of them are laid off. Happens every year. When people get excited due to big jumps in hiring in November, it shows they have never been around doing the hiring for the holiday period and really don't know what is going on in the employment picture. And the majority of those November new hires will be for low pay jobs, not the ones that take care of a family.

The ones hiring, will be restaurants, retail, delivery services, warehouses, and other low paid jobs. A lot of people that have no future with the company. I know when in the retail field, I hired a lot of people for a couple of months, and as soon as business fell of back to normal or below normal due to winter weather conditions slowing down business, l laid them off as soon as business did it's natural decline. Just as the employers do today.

A lot of those hired, were not in the normal employment picture as they were housewives, retired men and woman, college students, etc., who wanted to earn a little money for Christmas.

Getting excited about a big bunch of people being hired in November and thinks that good jobs are opening up again, is kind of silly.

It's kind of silly to think that a job doesn't Trump not having a job , (November 2016) is better than all (Novembers since 2007) see the glass as half full instead half empty.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:33 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,849,003 times
Quote:

The 178k number is a seasonally adjusted number. The non seasonally adjusted number is 479k.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:08 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,599,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
The 178k number is a seasonally adjusted number. The non seasonally adjusted number is 479k.
That's good info. That means the seasonal adjustment was 301k. An error in that can have a big effect on the adjusted employment number.

Last edited by rruff; 12-04-2016 at 10:42 PM..

Old 12-05-2016, 12:52 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I always question these stats....Of course they are likely seasonal due to the holidays.

I know from my own son that when unemployment runs out, that person is no longer counted in the total of unemployed Americans.

Sad situation.
Actually, I don't believe the last part is true. The unemployment survey is separate from unemployment insurance benefits.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:17 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
I think higher minimum wage and automation explains the 16 to 24 drop in employment rate. Higher minimum wage benefits the best service sector workers who keep a job but hurts those who were barely employable to begin with.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:35 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,022,611 times
Quote:
Remember there are a lot of people hired part time and some full time for the Holiday period. This all counts as new hires.
Not in seasonally adjusted data. Unless the current year's blip is larger than usual. Things like school graduation and holiday hiring are major reasons why we have seasonally adjusted data, SA is your friend...use it.

Quote:
The ones hiring, will be restaurants, retail, delivery services, warehouses, and other low paid jobs.
Hmmm. According to BLS (in whom I personally put quite a bit more faith)...,

Employment in professional and business services rose by 63,000 in November and has risen by 571,000 over the year. Over the month, accounting and bookkeeping services added 18,000 jobs. Employment continued to trend up in administrative and support services (+36,000), computer systems design and related services (+5,000), and management and technical consulting services (+4,000).

Health care employment rose by 28,000 in November. Within the industry, employment growth occurred in ambulatory health care services (+22,000). Over the past 12 months, health care has added 407,000 jobs.

Employment in construction continued on its recent upward trend in November (+19,000), with a gain in residential specialty trade contractors (+15,000). Over the past 3 months, construction has added 59,000 jobs, largely in residential construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics