Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 08:53 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,022,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
That's good info. That means the seasonal adjustment was 301k. An error in that can have a big effect on the adjusted employment number.
Seasonal adjustment factors are done in depth and at regular intervals. The results are then statistically aggregated to higher levels. All this is done by teams of highly trained and experienced social statisticians. You know...experts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Actually, I don't believe the last part is true. The unemployment survey is separate from unemployment insurance benefits.
Let's recap. The unemployment rate of 4.6% came from last month's responses to the so-called household survey (Current Population Survey). It covers more than 60,000 households and about 110,000 individuals each month. The jobs number of +178,000 came from last month's responses to the so-called establishment survey (Current Employment Survey). It covers some 145,000 firms and 620,000 job sites each month.

Data regarding unemployment insurance claims or beneficiaries come from the states and are not used in production of either number noted above. Some historical data from UI world are however used in developing new seasonal adjustment factors for the household survey data.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:43 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Most people I know here in Tennessee are employed, but many are making just $10-$15/hr. There hasn't been in sort of boom here or much recovery in professional level work.

I just moved back from Indianapolis and there were more jobs there than people to fill them.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:55 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,599,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Seasonal adjustment factors are done in depth and at regular intervals. The results are then statistically aggregated to higher levels. All this is done by teams of highly trained and experienced social statisticians. You know...experts.
Yes, I'm sure they do the best job they can. But when the seasonal adjustment is nearly 2x the resulting job #, there is a large potential source of error. They can't know the seasonal effects precisely.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,690,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That is not the "real" unemployment rate, and it is hilarious that author references all the BLS definitions and statistics then mixes in her own pet definition of "real" as if it were some commonly accepted idea that U-6 is any more real or significant than U-3.
Even if it is the "real" unemployment rate, back when the employment rate was healthy by government standards, it was still unhealthy then as it is today. Everything is relative. So even if the government's measurement method is not accurate, it has always been inaccurate. It's still a benchmark for measuring unemployment! That's why I kind of laugh at the whistle blowers who say that things are bad.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:11 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,256,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
178,000 jobs were added in November. More than since 2007, I read. Unemployment down to 4.6%. Sweet.

And only 95 million out of the labor market.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Yes, I'm sure they do the best job they can. But when the seasonal adjustment is nearly 2x the resulting job #, there is a large potential source of error. They can't know the seasonal effects precisely.
LOL! Nobody is throwing darts. Seasonality is teased out of time series data by intricate mathematical analyses, often X11 or X12-type programs that the Census Bureau has created. You can introduce yourself to some of them here...

Seasonally Adjusting Data -- FRB Dallas

Old 12-05-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
And only 95 million out of the labor market.
The labor force consists of employed people plus unemployed people. Everybody else is just watching. By choice.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:44 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
Looks like more of the same to me. We've been getting labor reports with similar numbers for almost 2 years. Decent... at least we're not backsliding, but we're not fixing our structural problems either.

Basically, all the data show that we have not improved the economy significantly for the majority of Americans since about the year 2000. We have improved it for select populations only. It was as if general economic progress stopped then.

I will be very interested to see if things get better when Trump becomes president.

Last edited by redguard57; 12-05-2016 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-05-2016, 02:24 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,581,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think higher minimum wage and automation explains the 16 to 24 drop in employment rate. Higher minimum wage benefits the best service sector workers who keep a job but hurts those who were barely employable to begin with.
It's mostly due to going back to school for girls 16 to 20 and some boys 16 to 20. About 85% of the NOT IN LABOR FORCE was under the age of 20. From my recollection from the historical tables, that category doesn't seasonally adjust much (BLS uses a funky method called concurrent seasonal adjustment which tries to catch trend changes rather than focus solely on historical seasonality). All of the changes to the NOT IN LABOR FORCE counts occur in one or two months each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics