Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,849,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
There have been a few articles in recent days that touched on the newly recognized "presidential tweet risk" that investors and public companies now face. I guess this is another approach that companies might be taking to address it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-trump-meeting
Along those lines from Rometty's USA Today piece:

We need to fill 'new collar' jobs that employers demand: IBM's Rometty

At IBM alone, we have thousands of open positions at any given moment, and we intend to hire about 25,000 professionals in the next four years in the United States, 6,000 of those in 2017.

If you read the article it seems pretty clear that 25k in hires were already in the works before the election. If you are a CEO why wouldn't you spin your current actions in a way to curry favor from the President-Elect.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:31 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
I find it a little suspicious when all of a sudden companies are coming out with these huge hiring waves in the US. I think they are trying to just get Trump off their backs. They figure nobody is going to follow up and they can quietly keep doing what they have ben doing. It won't work. Trump has been around too long to see through this. When Tim Cook visits Trump Tower today, Trump should ask him once again why he can't make the iPhone in this country.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:33 AM

777 posts, read 882,228 times
When Donald Trump has all of his products manufactured in the
USA I will take him seriously. Why would he expect others to do
what he does not do himself?

Old 12-14-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Along those lines from Rometty's USA Today piece:

We need to fill 'new collar' jobs that employers demand: IBM's Rometty

At IBM alone, we have thousands of open positions at any given moment, and we intend to hire about 25,000 professionals in the next four years in the United States, 6,000 of those in 2017.

If you read the article it seems pretty clear that 25k in hires were already in the works before the election. If you are a CEO why wouldn't you spin your current actions in a way to curry favor from the President-Elect.

I don't have to rely on PR releases because my son is a computer science graduate from a reputable school. You would think he, as a US citizen which they claim they can't find, would be a shoo-in at IBM.Wrong! They say they are hiring 25,000 people but when that one hire shows up they put him through the wringer and say no in the end.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
When Donald Trump has all of his products manufactured in the
USA I will take him seriously. Why would he expect others to do
what he does not do himself?
An argument either has merit or it doesn't. If your doctor smokes and advises you not to, do you wait for him to quit before you do? BTW, CNN reported Trump is not making ANY merchandise anymore, here or in China.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:42 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I don't have to rely on PR releases because my son is a computer science graduate from a reputable school. You would think he, as a US citizen which they claim they can't find, would be a shoo-in at IBM.Wrong! They say they are hiring 25,000 people but when that one hire shows up they put him through the wringer and say no in the end.
My daughter has an offer from IBM which she is turning down, IBM is the lowest offer, but she turned it down because it's not innovative enough. I'm surprised that they are hiring, they laid off a lot of people last year.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:48 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I read the article out of curiosity to see exactly what IBM is making/doing these days. I haven't seen or heard about them since the mainframe 4341 went away 20 years ago. Unfortunately there were no clues given, so I did further research and found this. They added 70,000 people in the last year, mostly through acquisitions, but lost more than that.

IBM added and lost 70,000 people - Business Insider
That's probably exactly the sort of scenario we'll be looking at.

They might hire 25k, but they'll likely get rid of just as many, if not more. Or they won't hire them at all - IBM is rather notorious for posting jobs that they never fill.

Until evidence otherwise is presented, I'll assume that IBM's history is a pretty good indication of future behavior and this will really amount to shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic.

But let's say they actually do expand their US workforce by 25,000. How does that help the uneducated former factory and mine workers in Appalachia and the rust belt who voted for Trump? Exactly none of those people are going to get hired to do cloud computing or AI research or quantum computing.

If there is an actual expansion (which is highly unlikely), those jobs will go to highly educated Americans and highly educated immigrants. Nothing really changes - people with education and skills do okay and people who have neither education nor skills are out of luck.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:54 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,849,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
My anecdotal experience is that almost exclusively the US hires were I work are recent graduates from the top tech schools. Its rare that anyone is hired who isn't a recent graduate; the exceptions usually involve someone who had some connection to the group prior to being hired.

25K for a company the size of IBM over 4 years would seem to be something they would be doing just from routine business.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My daughter has an offer from IBM which she is turning down, IBM is the lowest offer, but she turned it down because it's not innovative enough. I'm surprised that they are hiring, they laid off a lot of people last year.
They have some interesting stuff going on. I know there are a few people from my undergrad alma mater working on Watson. I've sat in on a few academic and business presentations from that group and they're doing some pretty cool things.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:54 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
They have some interesting stuff going on. I know there are a few people from my undergrad alma mater working on Watson. I've sat in on a few academic and business presentations from that group and they're doing some pretty cool things.
She was offered something in Cambridge, MA. I googled it and it has something with Watson and healthcare but people on Quora who used to work at IBM said to stay away from IBM. I think the low pay and the location didn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics