Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 11:05 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,174,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
No matter how many times the facts are repeated, there remains a large, and completely delusional clientele who cannot understand that: (1) Social Security is little more than a Ponzi scheme; (2) that the end of American dominance of a global economy means that wages in many industries will be depressed, and (3) a heavier burden is falling on a diminishing number of younger workers.
All it takes is a modest increase in the Soc Sec payroll tax and raising the taxable cap of $118,500 to a higher number. Do that and Soc Sec is solvent for decades. The only reason Soc Sec is under stress is because the Republicans refuse to do anything that involves a tax increase.

And no, Soc Sec is not a Ponzi scheme, it is a government-run insurance program. Ponzi schemes fraudulently claim that new capital represents investment returns. Soc Sec does not make that claim, they have never said your money is squirreled away for 40 years until you are old. My insurance company doesn't keep my premiums in a bucket waiting for me to make a claim, they use it to pay other claims, which is fine as long as they pay me when I have a claim.

The "diminishing number of younger workers" is a temporary problem. Out past 2035 or so the number of Baby Boomers on the Social Security rolls will rapidly fall off as mortality takes its toll. Again, if Congress would just do its job, Soc Sec can be funded to get through the Baby Boomer wave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 04:31 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,349,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
All it takes is a modest increase in the Soc Sec payroll tax and raising the taxable cap of $118,500 to a higher number. Do that and Soc Sec is solvent for decades. The only reason Soc Sec is under stress is because the Republicans refuse to do anything that involves a tax increase.

And no, Soc Sec is not a Ponzi scheme, it is a government-run insurance program. Ponzi schemes fraudulently claim that new capital represents investment returns. Soc Sec does not make that claim, they have never said your money is squirreled away for 40 years until you are old. My insurance company doesn't keep my premiums in a bucket waiting for me to make a claim, they use it to pay other claims, which is fine as long as they pay me when I have a claim.

The "diminishing number of younger workers" is a temporary problem. Out past 2035 or so the number of Baby Boomers on the Social Security rolls will rapidly fall off as mortality takes its toll. Again, if Congress would just do its job, Soc Sec can be funded to get through the Baby Boomer wave.
Social Security was never intended to be a retirement staple; it was an anchor upon which responsible adults were expected to add their own efforts; and between longer life expectancies and the growth in potential retirement careers in a mature, service-based economy, there aren't many excuses left for failing to do so. Sill, we all have to understand that a certain percentage of people will "fall through the cracks", often through no fault of their own, and for them, SSI (which comes out of general funding rather than payroll deductions), is the proper remedy.

Moderator cut: partisan politics

From a wider perspective, the American economy is entering relatively-uncharted territory. De-industrialization "creates jobs" but these "careers" are the sort of thing no one wants his son or daughter to take up, or marry into; so the lure of SSI and or premature retirement is always there. We've already enacted a few reforms for the more motivated, such as complete removal of the "earnings cap" for those who delay retirement until the prescribed age -- but there will always be fools looking for the easy way out; you'l get no sympathy from me if the whip eventually has to be cracked.

Last edited by toosie; 01-08-2017 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: dont add to polarization here

Old 01-08-2017, 05:12 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,585,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
those are typical down turns . . no biggie
A 40% drop in the stock market over three years is typical and no biggie?

Hah.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
From a wider perspective, the American economy is entering relatively-uncharted territory.
Same can be said at any point in time in this nation's history, the "this time it's different" thing is a poor crutch to lean on for projecting financial future.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:36 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,775,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

Hah.
I didn't think so. That's huge.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:12 AM

106,773 posts, read 108,997,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

Hah.
a crash is not just a drop . a crash is a sudden dramatic drop in a short period of time , not over years . that is a plain ole bear market .

some stats

. Since 1929, the U.S. stock market has experienced 25 bear markets

7.. Those 25 bear markets lasted, on average, for 10 months.

8. Also like earthquakes, bear markets can be relatively mild or quite harsh. The average bear-market loss was 35%. The smallest loss was 21% in 1949; the worst was a drop of 62% from November 1931 to June 1932.

9. Many of today's investors have lived through two fairly nasty bears: a decline of 58% from 2000 to 2002 and a 57% plunge from 2007 to 2009.

22 things you should know about bear markets - MarketWatch

Old 01-09-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a crash is not just a drop . a crash is a sudden dramatic drop in a short period of time , not over years . that is a plain ole bear market .
Five worst weeks in the stock market

1. Week of 10/06/2008, -18.2%
2. Week of 07/17/1933, -15.6%
3. Week of 09/10/2001, -14.3%
4. Week of 05/13/1940, -14.2%
5. Week of 11/04/1929, -13.5%

Old 01-09-2017, 02:28 AM

106,773 posts, read 108,997,702 times
we really have had very few crashes especially in most of our lifetime but everyone keeps using that word as if it is all to common . sure we have had some hefty drops in bear markets but that is normal . 35% is the average . crashes are rare .

Old 01-09-2017, 06:26 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The most frequent reasons given by people who to this point have not saved enough for retirement are low wages, student loans, and the need to save for a child's education.
I don't have the link to cite but I think I read more than once that the growing reason why more people are filing for bankruptcy lies with overwhelming medical bills...
Mainly because in cases where people had jobs/insurance and lost that employment, couldn't afford to carry COBRA coverage or couldn't find new work...
So I think your list needs to take into account the growing role of medical debt as well as broken periods of unemployment or drops in income/earnings...
Most people in today's work culture don't have a single employer--with a dependable increasing income stream

Old 01-09-2017, 06:41 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,023,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don't have the link to cite but I think I read more than once that the growing reason why more people are filing for bankruptcy lies with overwhelming medical bills...
The topic was actually falling behind in saving for retirement. That's a different thing from filing for bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics