Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 08:39 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
The point has every basis in reality. Just because the law doesn't allow children to work there, doesn't mean the children don't have the skill to do it.
I believe the recent claim was actually made re "toddlers," not "children". Why did you try to swap the term out like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
That's a round about way of saying, that unskilled labor is a interchangeable commodity with very little value added. So easy, that pretty much anyone can do it.
Low-wage labor IS a commodity. But being a commodity says nothing at all about value. As was noted earlier, such labor is a part of a great many production functions, and those will often enough break down and yield system-wide collapses if it is not in place and functioning reliably. How valuable is failure?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:44 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
But the system isn't going to break down without them, and McDonald's isn't going to fail. So what's your point?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:47 AM

There were several points. I tried to make them obvious.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:50 AM

I just saw a bunch of random fluff.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:57 AM

I suspect that many people were able to make more sense out of it than that.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:01 AM

No, I would imagine they actually can't. You rarely respond to things people actually say. You then go off on some random explanation of something else easily understood by all and think you added something.

A prime example is right here where you say a car can't function without wheels. Well yeah. Everyone knows this. But then, you won't answer the question why a car manufacturer dominates the supplier arrangement with a tire manufacturer (which I suspect we would find if we did a porter 5 forces analysis). The eventual overallvalue creation of the car relies very little on the tire. An interchangeable commodity. Which is the opposite of what you think. "It creates tins of value because the car won't work without it"

Or explaining that babies don't work...
Or that McDonald's has value created in its chain outside of McDonald's.

Gee Wilikers mr. Thanks!!

Last edited by Thatsright19; 07-07-2017 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 09:11 AM

Toddlers are not children, low-wage labor is a commodity, wages are not based on something called "value creation."

Old 07-07-2017, 09:28 AM

Of course wages are linked to value creation.

Just as a company who took in capital, and Created value for society made a profit, a company who lost money actually destroyed value. The society would be better off had someone else took over the business or if it didn't exist at all. Investors give up their capital for a lower price to companies that create more value. This faith is measured in their access to capital markets everyday. Companies who create more value get acccess to better terms.

An employee, who takes a wage and creates many many multiples of that for their employer will have a better chance of staying employed and being compensated more. If you tr to extract more pay without creating more value (see auto unions and fast food workers) the equation starts to change. Employers give up their capital to employees who are rewarded in the form of higher compensation for creating more multiples of value. The opportunity and pay available to you is measured by who actually wants or needs your services. The job market is your own personal stock market in a sense.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:32 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think your attitude is the one that will doom this country. In the meantime, if you think that the American people will be content with handing you a monthly check for simply breathing, then you are smoking crack.

Get out of your mom's basement and acquire some skills and a work ethic.
I see. If anyone posts things you don't like, you make up a story about them and call them names. Very mature.

I'm likely a lot wealthier and certainly more intelligent than you. A BI will absolutely cost me money. I'm not proposing this for my personal financial benefit, but for the benefit of our society and country.

The pervasive narcissistic, selfish attitude will spell our doom. "Screw everyone else, I'm getting mine!". But eventually you will suffer the same fate.

And the "skills gap" article, totally bogus. If there was a shortage, then wages would be taking off, and they aren't. Back when I started my career 35 years ago, scientists and engineers were in high demand also, but companies didn't complain about a "skills gap". They did whatever they had to do, like send kids through school and training. And salaries increased, reflecting supply and demand.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:58 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The concept itself had already existed for centuries, but it was Oldsmobile that developed and patented the automotive assembly line a decade before Henry Ford came to copy the idea.
One for the history books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Imagine digging up and reading the history. It's easy if you try.
My googling isn't what it used to be. Although now that you mentioned it, if it's that easy, you should've been able to do the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics