Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 09:37 AM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times

Advertisements

We have lived in Florida for a total of 30 years, Irma was the first hurricane that we experienced. Our lights blinked 3 times and then stayed on and for one day the tap water was unusable. We had a supply of water, so we managed. Others were less fortunate. Power outages at the grocery stores and gas stations made fuel and food a problem but we managed. We live on high ground and have no plans to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 09:38 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Considering ranch houses are almost 100% protected against earthquakes due to their flexible wood frames I'm not too worried.
This is painted with a very broad brush.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:39 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
This is painted with a very broad brush.
Well sure if your house is in horrible shape you'll be in trouble but if it's been even slightly maintained it'll
Be ok.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:46 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Perhaps you should live in a place where the land is so valuable that the houses themselves are like 1/10th or less the value.

If my home was destroyed my homeowners would cover rebuilding. After Irma I was shocked at the mess left behind. If I hadn't already bought my house I would definitely have considered moving out of Florida altogether and I've lived here on and off for 50 years.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If my home was destroyed my homeowners would cover rebuilding. After Irma I was shocked at the mess left behind. If I hadn't already bought my house I would definitely have considered moving out of Florida altogether and I've lived here on and off for 50 years.
At least you get a new condo every 2-3 years.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:55 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
This thread is an excellent example of how people have troubles thinking hypothetically.

If all our everything was destroyed, we'd rely on family for a little while. If we didn't have family, probably get into an extended stay hotel for the short term while finding an apartment or small house to buy. Luckily have enough money to do so.

If something unforeseen happened that took away all the money, we're sufficiently knowledgeable about wilderness survival to create a makeshift tent or lean-to from debris etc. and camp out. We'd have to loot food somehow in a situation where EVERYTHING was destroyed and there was no help (again, no clue what would cause that).

Old 10-01-2017, 11:25 AM

36 posts, read 25,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Harvey, Irma and Maria cut a terrible swath through the US and our US territories. As the news trickled out many reporters interviewed devastated people who lost everything – houses, cars, possessions, and jobs. In Puerto Rico, many lost more than that, basically all the resources of a modern life such as power, communication, stores, hospitals, and transport. “But at least we’re alive!” so many said.

It’s shallow of me but I am so devoutly thankful it wasn’t me. Still, I’m haunted by the question “How do you start over when you have lost absolutely everything? “Hopefully, there’s aid from the government, churches, NGOs, etc. but …. what would you do if that aid is not soon enough and not enough enough? Some people have money in the bank (if they can get to it), others are blessed with true family and friends who will help them, but some people live lives of desperation paycheck to paycheck.

So, I'm asking the question – what steps would you undertake to rebuild a life for you and your family from scratch with little aid or money? No snark please, it’s simple to toss off a flip answer, but this is a serious question.
Best to not have anything.

We have lost everything maybe 20 times now.

It's just things. Best not to have them.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:52 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinindiana View Post

Ok I'll bite
How did you lose everything 20 times

Old 10-01-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinindiana View Post

Maybe you should move somewhere with less natural disasters

Old 10-01-2017, 01:01 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Depends a lot on the disaster. If I lose everything in a fire, for example, I'd still have access to the savings account I now have.

It would be harder if the disaster was a serious earthquake, because I may not be able to access my money then. So my other options in that case would be to go to the nearest Red Cross center and stay there.

If nothing else, I have my car and I might, maybe be able to count on my mom helping out (a very little) or even having a place to live again if I drive back to her house. But I wouldn't count on either of those things.

If I were able to live in my car, though, I'd take the time to go through all the options available to me from social services, like a cell phone and blankets and clothes, places to take a shower, things like that.

One thing that is totally different now than it was 3 months ago: I now have my SSDI coming in every month and that makes a world of difference. If I didn't, things would be very difficult. I also have the money from the first disbursement check in savings, and that makes a world of difference, too. It gives me many more options.

Of course, I'd miss my things and I could never afford to replace them all, but most of them aren't worth a great deal anyway.

So with the SSDI check coming in and living in my car, I could save up quite a bit of money over the next year while I figured out where to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics