Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 09:55 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Hahaha! Where are things so much better than that? After all, SF is only tied for worst in per-driver average annual hours spent in congested traffic with all of Los Angeles, Washington D.C., New York City, Atlanta, and Miami. Things are tough all over, dude. It's not just some grand conspiracy against Perma Bear.
I’m just saying it’s easier to commute in other places so it’s possibke to buy a house in Say baltimore but work in dc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 10:01 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I would live like it was 1964 if it meant I didn’t have to live in poverty and could own a home. That’s worth more than all the smart phones in the world. I even have a circa 1964 push button phone.
I kept my 1990s-style flip phone until last year. I finally got a smart phone and ditched the land line, as if I were 20-something.

That's how you feel, but a lot of people regard the computer, especially a customizable hand-held one, as a reflection of their own mind, as if looking in a mirror, only deeper. Most people find that most interesting, and not a few view that as a form of freedom.

Many people even value cars, freedom of transport, over houses: I've always noticed people living in dilapidated houses with brand new shiny cars crowding the front yard.

Personally I live in a condo in a liquid market that I could probably sell in a matter of weeks and move on if the situation arises, not an albatross.

This irrational home ownership craze, especially the single-family home, and mismanagement of financing it, is what caused the crash last time around.

Maybe all this mobility that many of us enjoy nowadays has contributed to postponing the next one.

But I understand the OP's point: while many people have adequately kept pace, many people have been left behind, certainly uncomfortable and stressful for them and a lurking uneasiness for others, wishing for some magical policy formula that could alleviate it all.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:36 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Adjusted for inflation giant mansions were cheaper to build than crappy condos today.
You are probably correct. But the average worker couldn't have afforded to build that giant mansion, no matter the adjustment. And since condos didn't exist then, it's a moot point.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:39 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
In 1960 houses were I am were 10-15k. My money would be a little over 20k adjusted for inflation. That would leave me enough to buy the house and a brand new 60 cadillac coupe deville corvette. Do the math.
Not in a high cost area. Which the bay area is now.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Not in a high cost area. Which the bay area is now.
The Bay Area was still high cost, merely a few percentage points higher than the rest of the country. There wasn’t an insane 5-10x premium.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You are probably correct. But the average worker couldn't have afforded to build that giant mansion, no matter the adjustment. And since condos didn't exist then, it's a moot point.
We can build tiny computers but I guess all those geniuses in Silicon Valley are too stupid to build housing cheaper than a bunch of “primitives” from the 50s.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:00 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
And you know what? I’d still live like a hermit with a **** poor quality of life.
You make your choices and rely on irrational logic to justify them, so your life is a result of you, not the value of the US dollar.

Quote:
Without a home I’d literally have nothing of note to my name.
You're the one has been constantly bragging about your net worth which is quite high for someone your age, so you need to find a dictionary and look up the word "literally" then come back and try again.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You make your choices and rely on irrational logic to justify them, so your life is a result of you, not the value of the US dollar.

You're the one has been constantly bragging about your net worth which is quite high for someone your age, so you need to find a dictionary and look up the word "literally" then come back and try again.
Does money matter when a pregnant teen mom working at a diner in the Midwest is closer to buying a home than me?

Old 11-12-2017, 12:09 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Does money matter when a pregnant teen mom working at a diner in the Midwest is closer to buying a home than me?
Does it? Would you rather live in the Midwest with a house or in the Bay Area with no house?

Old 11-12-2017, 12:23 PM

698 posts, read 568,118 times
Quote:
I’m just saying it’s easier to commute in other places so it’s possibke to buy a house in Say baltimore but work in dc
The financials you have posted would leave you short of being able to buy a nice house or condo in Baltimore. You would not be able to commute from Baltimore to DC in 40 minutes either. What you imagine does not exist out east anymore than it does out west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics