Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 11:51 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I always have told my parents to enjoy their money. They worked hard for it.
Me too. Never wanted or expected any of it. Good thing - because my sister wants and expects all of it...:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I find this paragraph fascinating. Can you cite any the terms (e.g. clerisy, coastal and heartland classes)? Someone else, another articulate poster, described a similar class as the clerisy, but labeled it as the techno-something or another.. maybe it was "technocrat", but I don't think so. It definitely contained the same sort of upper middle class professionals that you are describing. The Bourgeoisie class.
One time while I was serving onboard my second boat, my wife and I had just returned from serving over-seas and we were in the process of buying a new home. My boat was preparing to go out to sea, and my wife needed a Power-Of-Attorney written with very specific language in it to allow her to sign the mortgage on this new property. My Department Head was a notary, so I went to him to notarize my POA.

Then he gave me an hour long lecture. That he was an aristocrat and I was a peasant. Truly wealthy people never dirty their hands with the details of handling money. and if I ever discussed buying or selling properties again in front of him, he was going to cancel my security clearances [which would effectively toss me out of the Navy]. I said my 'Yes, sir, yes sir' and I never mentioned my assets to him again.

Now as background, every 'home' that my wife and I purchased, they were all Multi-Family-Residences [Triplex, Four-plex, Five-plex apartment buildings]. They provided my family with a home and each of them had tenants that paid us to cover the mortgage and expenses.

Later while still serving on that same boat, when tax time came around. I was sent to an IRS school and came back certified to file taxes for all our crewmen. I filed that Department Head's taxes, and I was pleased to see that as an 'aristocrat' his Net Worth was a tiny fraction of this peasant's Net Worth.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:57 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It's a matter of relative standards, and perception of different outcomes for the same effort.

Suppose that you and I both buy lottery tickets, at the same time, at the same gas station. I get lucky, and win $500. You get even luckier, and win the Powerball jackpot. Your winnings haven't diminished my winnings in absolute terms; we both won. Yet compared to you, I've done enormously worse, and I'm going to grumble, that it's woefully unfair, that you've done so much better than me.
So we are both wealthier than we were before.

How is this different from 'jealousy'?

Could we say that buy only winning $500 you are jealous of someone who won $1Million?

Should all lotteries be required to only make exactly equal payouts? Everyone who gambles $1 will receive 95-cents in return.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:30 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So we are both wealthier than we were before.

How is this different from 'jealousy'?

Could we say that buy only winning $500 you are jealous of someone who won $1Million?

Should all lotteries be required to only make exactly equal payouts? Everyone who gambles $1 will receive 95-cents in return.
another example, if I walked into a room, and randomly gave out $1,$5,$10,$100 etc. is it unfair because you didn't get the $100 instead of the $1? but it wasn't your money to begin with, why should you decide how "fair" I should be when I give it out?

this is what I think people don't realize when they complain about jobs. you aren't there to hold out your hand and hope for a good lottery draw. what you can offer impacts what someone is willing to give to you

what people should want most is not to be excluded, not that they didn't get the same as everyone else

"fairness" is not real, even from your own home, do you eat the exact same amount as your family members? if not, why do you not force feed the toddler the same amount as the adult so the kid can get the same fair amount? or withhold food from the adult so he isn't getting an unfair amount?

it's laughable that the people who cry income inequality talk about fairness, is there a reason they think the world needs to be based on "fairness"?

Old 12-20-2017, 12:54 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
Quote:
It is a very tiny percentage of estates that are large enough to be taxed, currently.
A small number of estates, yes, but not a small amount of money. And in my mind it's not so much about the taxes that could be raised, but rather a way to encourage wealthy people to do something constructive with their money while they are alive. Tackle the eradication of a disease, space travel, energy efficiency, etc. Corporations today are less willing to do fundamental research than in the past, and this could be a way to encourage that sort of effort without getting governments directly involved.

Inherited money will more likely be spent on vacations, expensive cars, estates costing 8 or 9 figures, etc.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
This is the type of head start we should eliminate. But it won’t happen.

So you are suggesting we should all be kicked out of the house at 18, naked and penniless and expected to "fend for ourselves"? That's the ultimate in self sufficiency.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:57 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
Nothing can be done as long as Republicans run things...

Old 12-20-2017, 01:04 PM

13,658 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
... as an 'aristocrat' his Net Worth was a tiny fraction of this peasant's Net Worth.
This often happens... which is why I keep reiterating, that "class" transcends mere money... which of course is not to insinuate that your ex-superior-officer was somehow an aristocrat. Mind you, "peasant" is part of my handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
So you are suggesting we should all be kicked out of the house at 18, naked and penniless and expected to "fend for ourselves"? That's the ultimate in self sufficiency.
In a sense, this would be the most fair. But then again, it would be most unfair. Fairness is, as it were, unfair... which is why absolute fairness is impossible.

Where's John Rawls, when we most need him?

Old 12-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
In a sense, this would be the most fair. But then again, it would be most unfair. Fairness is, as it were, unfair... which is why absolute fairness is impossible.

I will have to consider this one after some alcohol.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:45 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Poverty starts with lousy parents. Recall Obama's famous Chicago Father's Day speech before his first Presidential election. There are tons of immigrants who come to the United States with nothing but the shirt on their back who have children in our elite universities. The top schools have unspoken quotas or their entering classes would be mostly Asian/Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics