Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2017, 01:04 AM

1,067 posts, read 625,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
This "spending problem" babble is right-wing propaganda ginned up to further the fairy tale meme that the wealthy are unfairly burdened by taxation. In fact, taxes do not affect the lifestyles of the wealthy to any significant degree at all. They have giant piles of money sitting around both before and after taxes. They have to spend time thinking up things to do with all that cash, so no need to feel sorry for them on any other account.
At what level of income and/or net worth do you consider someone to be wealthy? How much should this wealthy person be taxed? Quantify that for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 03:40 AM

510 posts, read 371,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So seems our taxes are going to go up for the middle class and down for the rich.. So with that said, lets fix the welfare system. Here is my thoughts on what to do.

Work 20 hour week min job at any location. Get on some program to prevent further births of unattended accidents. Random drug and drink tests. Max you can stay on the welfare system and housing is 2 years. By then you should be able to gain enough experience in the work force to get full time and better housing.

So any ideas on what to do next? Think if you slap some pretty good restrictions on these programs, it will help our economics in jobs.?

Definition of welfare? Do food stamps count? 50 million are said to find food unaffordable, so they get food stamps. Should they just get a Ramen noodles coupon and not be allowed to eat anything else?

Alcohol is a legal drug, but illegal to use food stamps for alcohol or tobacco.

Random drug and drink tests would likely push up costs. Cannabis ("marijuana") actually reduces sickness and days absent from work. In 1 state they drug tested, the drug tests cost a small fortune and few were using drugs. The real purpose of the drug tests was to enrich the drug testing company, which was owned by the governor. Cannabis typically costs about $5,000 a lb at retail, yet gov't prefers it be sold by people on the street that don't pay tax. About 85% of users have jobs, and millions use it for medicine. Smoking or vaporizing it doesn't kill, unlike alcohol, prescription pills, tobacco, and food chemicals.

I remember long ago in newspapers it said welfare would be increased by $4 billion. Later I read the gov't employees got 74% of that, as in costing $2,000 of gov't labor to send out a $700 check. So, even if they found a few people suspected of receiving unneeded welfare, it wouldn't offset the pay the gov't workers got. If they get $2,000 for sending out a $700 check, what incentive would they have to cut anyone off?

Also, what if a person is permanently disabled, in the body, brain, or both?

I've heard of many who got a 4 year college degree, applied for hundreds of jobs with no luck. Some were "lucky" enough to get a part-time job at minimum wage. The gov't might not get loans repaid.

Also, many can't afford apt rent let alone buy a house. Part of the problem is building code nonsense and gov't wanting a monopoly in subsidized rent. Keeps many employed.

We've spent trillions on wars that have killed millions over the decades, and disabled many more. Our gov't is trillions in debt, but life is good for those in the upper 1%. I recently read 30 families own 52% of the land in the USA. Best wishes, all.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:56 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
Also, many can't afford apt rent let alone buy a house. Part of the problem is building code nonsense and gov't wanting a monopoly in subsidized rent. Keeps many employed.

We've spent trillions on wars that have killed millions over the decades, and disabled many more. Our gov't is trillions in debt, but life is good for those in the upper 1%. I recently read 30 families own 52% of the land in the USA. Best wishes, all.

That;s a feature, not a bug. As you described, government likes to grow itself.

Plus, homeowners are generally happy with their neighborhoods as they are, and don't want any MORE housing, or any MORE AFFORDABLE housing, in their neighborhoods, and their local governments typically write their zoning and density rules to accommodate homeowner preferences.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:22 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
as they should ! you better believe if i make an investment in a property that i care about what goes on and what is approved or not in that area . renters may live in an area but they have little or no skin in the game .

if an area becomes undesirable and over crowded and values fall it may even be a positive for a renter. rents can fall as an area deteriorates . we saw that in monroe county in the pocono's as it saturated . real estate taxes soared because of all the additional infrastructure needed to support the growth and over crowding . homeowners took a beating .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-30-2017 at 05:34 AM..

Old 12-30-2017, 06:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as they should ! you better believe if i make an investment in a property that i care about what goes on and what is approved or not in that area . renters may live in an area but they have little or no skin in the game .

if an area becomes undesirable and over crowded and values fall it may even be a positive for a renter. rents can fall as an area deteriorates . we saw that in monroe county in the pocono's as it saturated . real estate taxes soared because of all the additional infrastructure needed to support the growth and over crowding . homeowners took a beating .
Then shouldn't a municipality with a renter majority write its zoning and density rules for the renter majority? Or are homeowners somehow special and deserving of getting their way?

Old 12-30-2017, 07:59 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
So seems our taxes are going to go up for the middle class and down for the rich.. So with that said, lets fix the welfare system. Here is my thoughts on what to do.

Work 20 hour week min job at any location. Get on some program to prevent further births of unattended accidents. Random drug and drink tests. Max you can stay on the welfare system and housing is 2 years. By then you should be able to gain enough experience in the work force to get full time and better housing.

So any ideas on what to do next? Think if you slap some pretty good restrictions on these programs, it will help our economics in jobs.?
The "rich" as you seem ro resent, pay virtually all of the Federal taxes collected. Those same "rich" own most of the small businesses that likely employ you. They deserve a break after years of punitive rates.

To your second point, those on public assistance should have to show "a good and substantial reason" for their assistance with wording exactly like the Cities that require the same "need" tests to carry a concealed weapon.
I can hear the screaming now!

Before approving any assistance, the recipient shall be interviewed in person, and the home inspected for need. That's how it used to be. You'd see a 80% drop in approvals!

Personally I think this is coming back. Taxpayers are sick of slackers. Especially pregnant slackers!

Happy New year!

Old 12-30-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Then shouldn't a municipality with a renter majority write its zoning and density rules for the renter majority? Or are homeowners somehow special and deserving of getting their way?
Renters generally don't have ties to the community. Here's a hint: Renters dont pay Property Taxes. Municipalities listen to those whose names are on deeds.

Renters are just passing through. Show me an apartment complex where the tenants are there more than a couple of years.

Budgets can't be shaped by those here today and gone tomorrow.

BTW, I was once a drifter.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:13 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Quote:
Universal healthcare coverage will go a long way, in practical terms, to achieve this.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
At what level of income and/or net worth do you consider someone to be wealthy? How much should this wealthy person be taxed? Quantify that for us.
In Northern Virginia (Fairfax/Loudoun Counties) a couple making $120K is barely "comfortable".

Old 12-30-2017, 08:17 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
If they didn’t give so much to the welfare system than maybe that money could be used for universal healthcare or college like other countries have! I understand people get in binds and things happen, but our welfare system here gives too much IMHO and there are too many scammers taking advantage of it as well! I know too many people who scam off the system and it’s sickening! Only people who truly need it should be getting it but the government doesn’t do a good enough job to weed out the scammers. The system needs a complete overhaul!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics