Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 02:27 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Why in the world would we have universal daycare?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It’s a civilized thing to do to provide universls daycare for children?
Yes, it is. That way parents don't have to choose between working OR having care for their children, when the cost of daycare cancels out their salary. It's a sad reality for many parents these days, especially single parents, and "universal" (or at least AFFORDABLE) daycare is a civilized solution to that. But then, the same folks who'd complain about this would also complain if that parent stayed home, then had to collect WIC/SNAP/etc to cover expenses since they're not working. 'Murica!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
No, it's a civilized thing to do to provide a system of safe, affordable daycare for working parents. As most civilized countries do.

But we're all wearing MY GUNS PROTECTED BY DARWIN t-shirts here.
Tried to rep you, but I have to spread the love first.

Gotta love our country, where guns and fetuses are more protected than living humans/children. Not to get political, but I'd say our priorities are all out of whack - and I'm not just referring to one side of the fence, either, since it happens on both ends (just with different subjects). Examples: Don't work, you're a bum. Work and put your kid in daycare, you're a bad parent. Have an abortion, you're going to Hell. Have the child despite not being able to afford it, you're a selfish hussy. Can't win here, unless you happen to be in the 1%.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:08 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Quote:
No. Prices are high in high COL regions because the supply of housing in towns with good school systems commutable to the job centers is very scarce. People pay an enormous premium to live there. If you're willing to live in a war zone with a failed school system, you can find relatively inexpensive housing near those job centers. The same is true for the trendy urban areas. There is a limited amount of trendy in most cities. Most places, you can find something for pennies on the dollar a few miles away but you'll have to put bars on the windows and you're not going to have trendy places to walk to
I disagree that the inexpensive areas are war zones needing gated windows. But you are spot on that people will pay a premium for the trendy neighborhood. I wonder if they ever calculate how many uber rides that extra rent would buy.

Schools is the biggie. Some cities have magnet schools but parents may be nervous about facing a lottery. I've seen kids graduate from low ranked schools go on to great things but they have parents who are very involved. Plus you can't tell at age 3 if the kid will develop good diplomacy and be able to avoid bad influences. I have wondered about the strategy to buy a low cost house then rent in a better school district if the need arises. Bingo: you have a paid for house when the nest is empty.

This won't work in cities like Nashville and Portland where everything is expensive.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:31 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Because it's a civilized thing to do. Which explains why the US doesn't have it.
Everyone to have their kids raised by strangers. What a delightful idea

Old 01-25-2018, 03:20 AM

2,300 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I'm 36 with no kids and my total "wealth" is about 550K. Funny thing is, I'm not a homeowner. It's all in investments. I think the idea of a home being a key wealth generator is uniquely American. And probably what got us in, at least in large part, to the subprime housing crisis of 2007-8.
It is even more so in Australia and I am fairly sure in New Zealand and also the UK and Canada. So perhaps an Anglo thing but then home ownership rates in Italy are high too. And many other countries.
The subprime crisis was, I thought, more about uncontrolled lending than property being a wealth generator. Our mortgages are a lot more restrictive and we did not have a recession.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:41 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
It is even more so in Australia and I am fairly sure in New Zealand and also the UK and Canada. So perhaps an Anglo thing but then home ownership rates in Italy are high too. And many other countries.
The subprime crisis was, I thought, more about uncontrolled lending than property being a wealth generator. Our mortgages are a lot more restrictive and we did not have a recession.
Yep, the Aussie average house price is more than double the US average even after converting to USD. Australia has been unique in that they haven't had a recession in decades and it's kept the housing market stable and rising steadily. However, if you had a serious economic downturn in Oz, that huge housing bubble is going to pop big time.

Right what caused the financial crisis was lending large amounts to people that shouldn't have qualified and then when prices fell and people started losing jobs, all hell broke out.

I've worked all over the world for the last 15 years and I think Americans think about their house as a wealth generator less then most countries with the exception of places like Silicon Valley, SF, and Seattle that have had huge jumps.

I don't think of my house I live in as a wealth generator but I do think of my 4 rental houses that way because that's all they are to provide income and generate wealth.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:39 AM

294 posts, read 264,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Tried to rep you, but I have to spread the love first.

Gotta love our country, where guns and fetuses are more protected than living humans/children. Not to get political, but I'd say our priorities are all out of whack - and I'm not just referring to one side of the fence, either, since it happens on both ends (just with different subjects). Examples: Don't work, you're a bum. Work and put your kid in daycare, you're a bad parent. Have an abortion, you're going to Hell. Have the child despite not being able to afford it, you're a selfish hussy. Can't win here, unless you happen to be in the 1%.
Had to rep this!

Old 01-25-2018, 10:06 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
No one said anything of the kind.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Sending your kid to daycare while you work isn't having them "raised by strangers." It's no different from sending them to school 5 days/week - just what you do before they're old enough for full-time school. And some folks don't have the luxury of staying home for 5-6 years until then, nor do they have family members or friends who can babysit 40 hours/week for free. Welcome to the real world, buddy.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-25-2018 at 02:13 PM..

Old 01-25-2018, 02:08 PM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
many of these day cares today are amazing and the kids learn so much more as well as get far better social environment skills .

when i was a parent we wouldn't think of putting our kids in day care but then again they were nothing like they are today .

all 5 of our grand kids were communicating via sign language they learned in day care before they were even 1 year old and could speak .

spending a few hours 5 days a week in a good day care setting has so many plus's to it . the kids have all kinds of experiences we could not give them at home as well as the social aspect of it . there are Montessori day cares where the little ones are already learning things they would in preschool but far younger .

only negative we have seen is they tend to get sick more being around the other children but i highly recommend these better day cares today and that is a big change of hats for us .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics