Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 01:47 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
https://www.economist.com/news/busin...spree-americas

No, you're just ignorant. Only in America can you have a successful industry at almost 0% interest rates and the lowest oil prices you'll ever see again in your lifetime, that loses money hand over fist.

You know nothing of your oil industry. Look at the decline rates. It doesn't matter. People on this forum don't read.
You know nothing about business. That's pretty obvious. Oh, and since you like moving targets another huge oil field was discovered in Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 01:47 PM

635 posts, read 784,039 times
I never see anyone talk about taking personal responsibility for one's actions (about everything). Everyone is also very negative. I read so much hate by people about President Trump. I think Democrats want our system to fail. Cloward and Piven stuff.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:58 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I never see anyone talk about taking personal responsibility for one's actions (about everything). Everyone is also very negative. I read so much hate by people about President Trump. I think Democrats want our system to fail. Cloward and Piven stuff.
Well, maybe if Trump would take some personal responsibility for his actions...

Old 01-28-2018, 02:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
That's your opinion based on, as you put it, "skimming" his essay. I suspect you call his writing "dumb" because (a) you don't agree with it, and (b) he says things that you as an American (assuming from your handle) don't want to hear. Whether you want to hear it nor not doesn't make his factual assertions less true. We do have a higher rate of mass shootings than any other country; we do have an opioid crisis that doesn't occur anywhere else in the world, even in countries where the same opioids can be bought without a prescription (I didn't think that includes fentanyl, but apparently it does); and we're one of the few countries in the world where average life expectancy is declining.

I don't share his ultimate opinion, that these things are signs of an irreversible collapse of American society. But when we say "We're number 1!" I doubt that we're thinking about school shootings, opioid use, and decline in life expectancy. But maybe I'm wrong about you, and these are things that make you proud to be an American.
i am not proud of the piece of dirt that i live on. i do not support the existence of national governments. i dont get upset when someone badmouths murica. but when someone is a dramaqueen crybaby and says dumb stuff, ill point it out.

the guy throws in some facts and exaggerations and bad analysis. its a bunch of garbage.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:43 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The author's point that the opiod crisis is highly correlated with a badly broken health care system is a good one.
This is neither the first opioid epidemic, nor the first drug epidemic in the US. The author displays both gross ignorance and a total absence of knowledge of US History.

Inside the Story of America’s 19th-Century Opiate Addiction

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ion-180967673/

Old 01-28-2018, 07:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
I don't think Americans have any idea what's around the corner.

Not only do Japanese and European central banks plan on liquiditating their US equity holdings in 2018

Furthermore, China is working hard to take the place of the Petro-Dollar by using gold backed futures and will begin large scale purchases of crude in March.

You are due for an oil shock. It will be devastating to your economy. Real estate prices will crash. The stock market will crash. There will be no relief because the dollar will not be desirable.
Thank you so much for foretelling doom and gloom just around the corner as opposed to some future decade. It means we won't have to wait very long for you to look like a fool. Post bookmarked. Lol.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:28 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The young and well-to-do are doing the opposite of what the boomers did. They are migrating back to the cities and gentrifying them. The poor, minorities, and everyone else are being pushed out to the burbs and beyond.
That's the trend that is most visible.

Behind the yuppies, guppies, and buppies is a wave of upwardly mobile immigrants who are moving to the big city (if not SF and Seattle, then Chicago, Dallas, Houston, etc.). And every ambitious kid growing up in Toledo or Dayton is trying to figure out how to move to Chicago or New York; every ambitious kid in Birmingham wants to move to Atlanta or Houston.

We're becoming more urban all the time. (Suburbs are part of cities.)

Old 01-28-2018, 07:33 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,776 times
Default Bad bad essay full of sound and fury and four ...

Quote:
I thought this was a great short essay. It really describes America today. I think a lot of people will be able to relate to what this essay is talking about.

It's very sad.

https://eand.co/why-were-underestima...e-be04d9e55235

...adjectives before the noun subject matter of the sentence. This was a self conscious attempt to get noticed by someone who is not acculturated. Meaning the American Experience is a big mystery and really bad to this geek.

Dribble, dribble, dribble. dribble, dribble, dribble.

On a scale of 0 to 100 I'd give this one a minus 25.

Darn u for wasting my time.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:22 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
A conspiracy theory is that there is a "secret society" in the FBI, or a "deep state" or wiretaps in Trump Tower, etc.
Many of the conspiracy theories are conspiracy fact. The evidence is overwhelming. Do you think Bohemian Grove is just a fun party for rich folks? Are the elites at the Bilderberg Group meetings just looking out for the common people of their respective nations?

Old 01-30-2018, 03:23 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I agree of the power of the individual. But when the individual has total autonomy. i.e. no rule or laws, you have anarchy. See Somalia.
We're hardly in danger of no rule or no laws. We're actually drowning in laws. So it's absolutely absurd to make such a comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics