Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 10:42 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times

Advertisements

I look over credit card statements when they come in, and keep old bills for a year. I do occasionally need to check something on old bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 10:55 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleamingobscenereader View Post
Is it worth it to save credit card statements?

How should the statements be saved? As in, just printed? Save it on flash drive? Any other forms?
I don't, unless there's a reason to save a particular statement. When I do, I save it as a pdf on my computer.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:02 PM

384 posts, read 272,765 times
I keep my statements and record my credit card purchases on an old-fashioned ledger sheet. Helps you keep track of spending easier and how much you're getting charged in interest for carrying a balance.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:31 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
I don't get it with the ledger, doesn't your bank have online tools to see your purchases? Mine even attempts to put them in spending categories that it gets right about 90% of the time gas, groceries, restaurant, utilities, etc. It also lets me make custom categories to put stuff in and learns so I don't have to repeat it, like if I buy bait and put it in a custom category "fishing" then next time I buy from that shop it'll automatically be categorized as fishing.

Then at end of year tracking spending is far better than handwritten, can generate basic reports for spending by category, make pretty pie graphs, and download the data to a spreadsheet.

Also good idea is to have it text you for any credit card purchase. My wife hates this component of it but if someone swipes my card and uses it to buy something I'd know in about 3 seconds.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:41 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Not everyone goes back 5 years online. Your big banks do, and many provide a year end summary account. I only print the statements with activity, then they get bagged with my taxes.

Credit unions are a different business model and typically only have a year or two.

I once had a dispute with an authorized user and had 5 years of statements sent to me from Discover.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:39 AM

745 posts, read 480,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleamingobscenereader View Post
Is it worth it to save credit card statements?

How should the statements be saved? As in, just printed? Save it on flash drive? Any other forms?
I download them from the bank and save them on my computer hard drive and every so often I back them up elsewhere.

The main reason I save them is that for one, they take up very little disk space. Two, every once in a while I want to remember what I paid for something or where I bought something from, and I have the statements to refer back to.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:47 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Mine are all online, I pay online and I look at them online, I didn't need hard copies until I was "randomly" selected for the IRS Research Audit.

I was required to have hard copies of all financial statements of any type of account for the audit year (2 years earlier) plus the month before and after. Most were easily found online. Some didn't go back that far and required a phone call.

Not a big deal. It was the only time I ever needed statements.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:51 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
No--it's all online. I got tired of shredding so much paper, and stopped receiving any and all paper statements. Receiving paper statements also increases the possibility of identity theft.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:33 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Several years ago I went digital. I receive nothing by mail; notifications of new statements are sent by email. I log into my account and pay online with free bill pay. Your bank should offer it for free, if not you need to change banks. I keep a record of every credit card transaction (date, amount, merchant, and sometimes what was purchased if it was an important purchase), as I do every check transaction, on my computer. If I need statements (credit card or checking), I download them and keep them on my computer.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:29 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I keep my receipts until I get the bill and see they match up. I might keep one with a warranty and keep pharmacy ones, stapled to the appropriate paperwork and filed elsewhere. At the beginning of every year, I pull out all the statements (and other bills) and put them in order and keep them with that year's taxes. I keep all the extraneous paperwork for about 7 years since it's just 7 file folders, then I ditch all the paper and just keep copies of the forms. I asked my accountant and he said to keep them for 10 years, so I do. I suppose I could scan them, or do what my father did and stick them in a box in the attic. Still wondering what I'm going to do with that box full of his financial life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics