Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 12:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

I realize this about statements...

Just got me thinking... I had Midas put in a lifetime muffler in my car 35 years ago... that receipt sure has come in handy over the years... did the same with the JC Penny lifetime Battery but there are no more JCP auto centers.

One of my friends when through the Oakland Hills Fire... she still misses some family things handed down... but she said she never keeps anything anymore... it was a fresh start for her and it helped she was well insured.

When Dad Passed I culled the files... got several grocery bags of paper to shred... I did not touch the house and property folders...

My Statements often have mixed use... things I have to buy for the job and put in for reimbursement... not as much as before but it still happens... I can go back to my notes on the CC Statement and know exactly what each charge was for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 12:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
credit card statements = tax records

I have been audited by the IRS 3 times. I learned my lessons.

This is not true.
In my experience, credit cards statements and bank statements are not what the IRS or state is looking for. They want the actual receipt. I've been through an audit as well.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Not true. They need to cross check. They required hard copies of monthly statements of every credit card and bank account so they could match receipts to the actual payments.
That wasn't my experience. They wanted the actual receipts. They didn't want statements.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:59 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That wasn't my experience. They wanted the actual receipts. They didn't want statements.
I’m not saying they wouldn’t accept statements but a statement wouldn’t in a lot of cases narrow down what you purchased.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:26 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
I shred everything except the month's current one. That's just me.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:13 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
I love getting my statements in the mail! Every time I decline the online statement view setup, I get a quiet joy. Why? Because When each year they up the interest and add fees I figure that 52 cents to mail it came from my monthly 'admin' fee .

I have my items scanned into a software and stored online .
Sure I can just download it from the cc site. But that would defeat my cause

I keep records for ten years . Particularly when a third party collection tries to come after me for a debt that was paid and closed. I do not give them that info though . I let them do the work

Old 02-11-2018, 07:36 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I love getting my statements in the mail! Every time I decline the online statement view setup, I get a quiet joy. Why? Because When each year they up the interest and add fees I figure that 52 cents to mail it came from my monthly 'admin' fee .

I have my items scanned into a software and stored online .
Sure I can just download it from the cc site. But that would defeat my cause

I keep records for ten years . Particularly when a third party collection tries to come after me for a debt that was paid and closed. I do not give them that info though . I let them do the work
So naive and foolish.

You really think you're going to get the better of thecredit card companies and cut into their profits by increasing their admin expenses? Maybe that's why your interest rate gets upped in the first place.

And when a debt collector comes after you (does this happen to you often?), it's because it's been turned over to them by the creditor and it gets reported to the credit bureaus if you don't pay it or prove it inaccurate. They don't need or care about your "records". The burden is on you to get it cleared.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:45 PM

384 posts, read 272,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I don't get it with the ledger, doesn't your bank have online tools to see your purchases? Mine even attempts to put them in spending categories that it gets right about 90% of the time gas, groceries, restaurant, utilities, etc. It also lets me make custom categories to put stuff in and learns so I don't have to repeat it, like if I buy bait and put it in a custom category "fishing" then next time I buy from that shop it'll automatically be categorized as fishing.

Then at end of year tracking spending is far better than handwritten, can generate basic reports for spending by category, make pretty pie graphs, and download the data to a spreadsheet.

Also good idea is to have it text you for any credit card purchase. My wife hates this component of it but if someone swipes my card and uses it to buy something I'd know in about 3 seconds.
By writing it down, I remember the numbers and it makes me realize how much I spent in a given day at a given store. Also, I don't like communicating by text. I know. I'm old fashioned.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:56 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleamingobscenereader View Post
Is it worth it to save credit card statements?

How should the statements be saved? As in, just printed? Save it on flash drive? Any other forms?
Save as PDF, or my credit card company sends an annual e-statement, so I save that now.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
I don't understand the need to save statements more than 3 months old. If I need to save financial documents, I'll keep them on my computer while backing them up to DropBox or my Amazon Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics