Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 02:53 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
??? There are millions of 500K houses around. Nothing special or unusual about that these days. In fact, if he's such a tycoon he could just as easily choose to live in a McMansion. He doesn't. A house of that value isn't extravagant. .

You don't know where the OP lives, and very likely, a 500K house in his area IS a McMansion and something out of the ordinary. The median home price in the US is a little over 200K, and of course that means half of all houses are selling for LESS than that, in a lot of cases, much less than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 02:59 PM

1,063 posts, read 697,110 times
I would be pitching him a business idea related to the puppy breeding or anything else. Sounds like he has some money to spare, likes the pups and you need money. Get buddy buddy with him as much as possible.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:20 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
When I transferred to my area, I did so at the top. There's a saying that it's lonely at the top, and there's a reason for that. I became friends with some order entry clerks. I went over to their modest apartment and we had dinner a couple of times, and had drinks a couple of times. Later I started to get invites to staff events. I was usually the only white collar worker, usually the only white guy but we were all people looking for a nice weekend. It was fun.

It was seen negatively by my boss when inevitable rumors got to him, but I honestly didn't care. I wasn't dating anyone. I wasn't pulling favors, and I also wasn't narcing on what employees did in their spare time. I just explained that I wasn't the boss outside of work. We were all just people.

I wouldn't dwell on the economic reality any more than you need to. If someone wants to play those games, and some do, you can just walk by a person's car. It can be an old car, but you can look into it and see if they take care of it or not.

Just show your boss the pups, and see if he'd like one. Give some advice on how to raise the puppies to show that in this area, you're the boss, but do it in a friendly way. Your boss will likely want to buy one, if for no other reason, to dispel any thought that there's a favor or something occurring. It's ok to charge. Act as you normally would. A facade will come off as rigid and unnatural.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:24 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Well I have people coming at 530 today & I'm mortified. And no; there is no piles of dirty laundry strewn around & no dishes in the sink.

But I live in a construction zone, moved into an unfinished house almost 4 years ago that I didn’t want to move into but was moved anyway. And no; I have no say.

I left work to caregive so he could go to work & now all the income is his, tucked away in accounts I’m not joint on. “He” is a hoarder & doesn’t finish anything he starts so the walls crumble into dust around me, I’m forced to clean unsealed bathrooms & kitchen, safeguard disabled child from exposed outlets where the switches hang out of the wall 5-6 inches from wires, tiles that have never been sealed that slip out from underneath your feet & try to appear tidy in a house that has not one closet door. Not one.

I’m going to smile while my soul dies a little more & pray that nobody has to use a restroom. Since both guests are in their 70’s; I can anticipate a huge embarrassment & hopefully not injured guests (The doorway is unfinished, with a closet right next to it I hide with a bookshelf & the seat is not bolted onto the toilet. You have to put it on every time you use it & hope it doesn’t slide).

I lost it here!! just cant imagin this and not laugh.. I thought using a close hanger as the toilet handle was red neck enough for me, you just pass me up..lol. thanks i needed a good laugh, but i get your situation.

yes he wants to see the pups in person before i can wing them so he can get first option. He been looking for a girl for his wife bday coming up in aug and my dog having pups made it perfect timing. He did ask if he can come over and pick one out, and im not going to be rude and say no> faster i can get rid of them better happy i will be.

He was looking at some local breeders but non are having pups anytime soon, so just by luck mine did. I dont breed, and wasnt looking to get her pregnate. She cant get fixed due to medical issues, so we have to watch her a few times a year and one day we forgot she was in heat and we was out of town for few hours and left her outside, and well.. nature happen.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:37 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Here's my guess: He doesn't really want to come over. He is just being folksy with his underlings. That's how he became successful in his career and business.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:44 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Lab/retiver ( non akc) but has parents that are.

mom Black lab-parents AKC
daddy Golden Retriever.

I just have standards, and see things what they are. Kinda sting a little when wife said she doesnt see us as being poor, when she doesnt realized were a job lost away from being homeless. Thats when you know your poor. I am the half glass empty guy..
Internet rule #378 - Once you start talking about puppies you are required to post a picture!

Seriously though, I understand where you are coming from. I live in a very small house in a rural area and am perfectly content with living here. My perception is others may consider my home a "poor mans home"; BUT I don't worry about it. My needs are different than others; I do not need a lot of space to live being a single guy.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:55 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Quote:
Yea we are clean and maintenance pays the mowers twice a week to mow, and any maintenance is fixed in 24 hours. Just hate having classy visitors coming over and a home that is over 30 years old and got that old age smell that you cant get rid. Some of you know what i mean.. lol.. Feel emberresed more then anything else. Like the idea on what the salaries they pay us gets us, but then you will get that well manage your money right attitude.

anybody been in this situation.. ( not for vising pups) just to come and visit. I mean this guy never invited anybody to his house and he asking to come and visit mine. Guess he feels that inviting the poor man over seems like he rubbing his money in our face.. ( if you work harder you can obtain this attitude). To me, if you pay me more then i could be my response. lol.. but back to the advice.
You never know, he may have started out poor and risen up or married well, etc. He is no better than you simply because he's rich. I used to do electrical work for a wealthy customer whose old money went back generations. He had all the style and class of a rich man but none of the snobbiness. We talked about every subject under the sun. Maybe he just hasn't had any reason to invite people to his house yet and do you know for a fact he never has with anyone, or just yourself?

Have him over and show him the puppies. You may actually like him.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:08 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
I am curious too about the mix. Short hair or long hair? Golden, black, brown, or tan? Patches of color? Mellow or hyper?
Internet Rule #378.
You have dogs; He needs a dog. I'd be honored for the visit.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:13 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
So my dog recently had pups, and my boss who is a CFO of a mulit million dollar company, was interested in our pups. This guy lives in a 500k house and drives a tesla. So he is pretty set for life.. He wants to come and visit me and the dogs, and here im the poor man living in a 75 single wide trailer, in a trailer park.. as some might call us trailer park trash. .But we are the cleanest community around. yards mowed, trailers are kept clean and updated. Just doesnt feel right or comfortable. Wife got mad at me for downgrading us, as we arent "poor" by her standards, but my standards is yea ,were poor.. one step up from being homeless, or one job lost away from living on the streets poor. Any advice? Put this in economics as this about it at personal level.
He is coming to see the dogs. He isn't coming over to see how you live. You said he is the CFO, that is a Chief Financial Officer. Which means he knows what you're being paid. He isn't expecting you to live in a McMansion, if that's your concern.

He's coming to see the dogs. He sounds like a nice guy being interested in the dogs. I suggest you focus on that. I remember when we went to visit a dog breeder at their home to get our dog, all I remember from the trip was the dogs. I couldn't tell you where the kitchen was in that house from memory, although I'm sure it had a kitchen and don't remember a single thing about the decor. That's because people who love dogs are focused on the dogs.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:19 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Yea we are clean and maintenance pays the mowers twice a week to mow, and any maintenance is fixed in 24 hours. Just hate having classy visitors coming over and a home that is over 30 years old and got that old age smell that you cant get rid. Some of you know what i mean.. lol.. Feel emberresed more then anything else. Like the idea on what the salaries they pay us gets us, but then you will get that well manage your money right attitude.

anybody been in this situation.. ( not for vising pups) just to come and visit. I mean this guy never invited anybody to his house and he asking to come and visit mine. Guess he feels that inviting the poor man over seems like he rubbing his money in our face.. ( if you work harder you can obtain this attitude). To me, if you pay me more then i could be my response. lol.. but back to the advice.
He's asking to come visit yours to make it easier for you. That's the way it should be. It would be a burden to expect you to load up all the pups and bring them to his house. A request like that actually sounds pretentious. After this you might get an invitation to visit his home too, you don't know.

I wouldn't get all hung-up on what you perceive to be a problem. I think he is being kind and respectful, and isn't making any demands on your because you work there. You got the pups, he is interested, that makes him a good guy until you have a reason to believe otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics