Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:34 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I'm calling it now.

Worth noting (and I may get bashed) but it may not be a textbook definition of 2 consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth but we'll see higher unemployment, under-employment, more defaults on the typical debts, higher interest rates, and using savings to live.

Housing very high in many places, bad health care system, financial markets very high for a long time, a job market with stagnant and declining wages.

Source: basic economic articles.

If you agree or disagree, please discuss.

I won't be bashing you on this. In fact I agree. Guggenheim Investments began predicting a recession for 19 into 20 two months ago. The treasury yield curve is almost flat and the stock market just fell 1500 points. Good call.

Hopefully you are out of the market by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 10:22 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
If anyone accurately predicted the next recession they'd be rich or better. We were supposed to be in a recession already according to some "experts". Technically we were in one over 2 years ago. https://upfina.com/2016-was-a-recession/

Not saying we won't or will get one by then, but it's not certain it'll be a depression or as bad as 2008.

Wage growth hit 2.9, the highest it's been since 2009. It can continue if illegal immigration has been fully addressed and the factory jobs(which pay well above the minimum wage) continue to increase.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:01 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
If anyone accurately predicted the next recession they'd be rich or better. We were supposed to be in a recession already according to some "experts". Technically we were in one over 2 years ago. https://upfina.com/2016-was-a-recession/

Not saying we won't or will get one by then, but it's not certain it'll be a depression or as bad as 2008.

Wage growth hit 2.9, the highest it's been since 2009. It can continue if illegal immigration has been fully addressed and the factory jobs(which pay well above the minimum wage) continue to increase.
We were not technically in recession two years ago. A few people saying so does not count.

ETA - Here's a list of all recessions since 1850.
http://www.nber.org/cycles.html

Last edited by EDS_; 10-12-2018 at 11:29 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 11:03 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I won't be bashing you on this. In fact I agree. Guggenheim Investments began predicting a recession for 19 into 20 two months ago. The treasury yield curve is almost flat and the stock market just fell 1500 points. Good call.

You know getting in and out of markets is a near guaranteed way to leave lots of wealth on the table.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
There seems to be a mindset that good times have a set limit in duration. I see good times as going to continue until emerging events kill them. You can't predict the killing events.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:54 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
I'm calling it now.

Worth noting (and I may get bashed) but it may not be a textbook definition of 2 consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth but we'll see higher unemployment, under-employment, more defaults on the typical debts, higher interest rates, and using savings to live.

Housing very high in many places, bad health care system, financial markets very high for a long time, a job market with stagnant and declining wages.

Well, if the Democrats regain control of the House and/or the Senate during the forthcoming Mid-Term elections, you could well be right.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Well, if the Democrats regain control of the House and/or the Senate during the forthcoming Mid-Term elections, you could well be right.
I always hedge my predictions based upon no change of administration until 2020 at earliest. I see the economy as inexorably linked to politics. Sadly, politics has become totally crazy the last few years

It appears that Democrats want the economy to fail in order to gain power. DT's success is in the way of their thirst for control.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:51 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
I'm calling it now.

As humans, we push limits, leverage what we can while riding waves that temporarily magnify our income and thus purchasing power, crash with those waves as what's unsustainable consumes us, and roll with the tide as we're brought back to shore. The view is amazing from that tall wave, though. And we swim right back out as soon as the water is no longer pushing us inland.

We forget, however, that at least on the east coast, the magnificent sunset on the horizon is inland, why are we trying to swim away from it?

Market prices are nothing more than one idiot outbidding the other because he wants it more and has the resources to do so. I've said in a previous thread, many moons ago, that bidding a $500K house to $1M doesn't bring it any closer to the water or add a 5th bedroom. As property taxes rise proportionate to the assessed value, or as I call it, the permanent idiot tax, it prompts homeowners to rethink staying another year and will spike growth in the suburbs and so-called exurbs.

Despite how smart or prepared or shrewd any one individual can be, so many more comprise the bulk of civilization that DOES respond to online articles, television, and the town crier.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:29 PM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post

Cheers, Tony.

The US Financial Markets have been too high for too long and a lot of the recent upward movement has been because of optimism - which is not a good thing. (I remember the late 90s when most people did not have stop-loss accounts and paid the price). But those that rode that bubble and got out before the turn set themselves up well.

I've had long funds in Vanguard, T. Row Price and Nueberger. Old IRAs and some regular mutual funds.

Sold some stock a long time ago. (Not my thing.)

I've been just putting cash in the bank and waiting for a dip to buy more into the Vanguard Stock Market Index Fund.

I'm not very savvy in investing but I know the basics.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:30 PM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post

Yeah, I see it the same way, Marv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics