Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 09:39 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,990,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Corporations make money off of consumer spending, how exactly are they creating wealth again?

Also I don’t want to start a commune.
They create value.

If I walk into your trading and bartering society and show you a vial of liquid that is proven to cure cancer, it has been researched and developed by Cancer Cures Inc., are you saying there isn't any value in that?

Your communist cooperative wouldn't want to buy at least a dozen vials?

Old 01-22-2019, 10:34 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
They create value.

If I walk into your trading and bartering society and show you a vial of liquid that is proven to cure cancer, it has been researched and developed by Cancer Cures Inc., are you saying there isn't any value in that?

Only if they could trade the chickens for them.
Throughout this thread I think we realize there is some kind of disconect going on.
It’s like the op wants to talk about algebra and we oblige with the understanding that all parties agree 2+2=4.
However to the op the answer is not 4, it’s 5 so what we all think makes sense, it doesn’t to him.
Then a few posts later he thinks the answer is now not 5, it’s 76. We all still think it’s 4
You can’t have a logical discussion with someone whose beliefs don’t agree with everyone else’s.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:54 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
Quote:
1. This is nonsense, no one said we have to go back to trading like in the ancient era, trade can consist of many things.

2. People can work cooperatively to own more land, but individually people can only own the amount of land they operate by.
1. Yes YOU did. You said in one single sentence..."No, universities would still exist, and people will still barter and trade with personal property and services. "

So which personal property or service would I trade to my history professor at the university?? How many students does he have? How many "personal properties and services" does he need, and how will he ever keep track of them all? This is why currencies were invented, to simplify trade. Barter works fine for a while, but after a time you need a system of credits and debits to handle the numerous transactions people make, and the sequence that they need to use them.

2. And how much land is that? If they have a tractor it could be many, many acres, while the guy without a tractor can only work a couple acres, even with a horse and plow, there are limits. I don't know what you are saying by the phrase "the amount of land they operate by". Please define "operate by". Maybe I "operate by" 3000 acres.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:20 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,990,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Throughout this thread I think we realize there is some kind of disconect going on.
It’s like the op wants to talk about algebra and we oblige with the understanding that all parties agree 2+2=4.
However to the op the answer is not 4, it’s 5 so what we all think makes sense, it doesn’t to him.
Then a few posts later he thinks the answer is now not 5, it’s 76. We all still think it’s 4
You can’t have a logical discussion with someone whose beliefs don’t agree with everyone else’s.
But it's even more disconnected than that.

If someone says "Hey aslowdodge, why don't you go underwater, say 1000 feet without any breathing equipment. You can just breath underwater, you'll be fine."

You reply, "No, I'll die. Human lungs cannot get oxygen from processing water. You need gills. That's how nature is."

Then you get replies like "Well fish have been doing this for millions of years. If we only tried to be like fish, it would work."

There is literally no logic, or anything resembling an educated opinion coming from the other side.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:02 PM

603 posts, read 443,358 times
Quote:

Then you get replies like "Well fish have been doing this for millions of years. If we only tried to be like fish, it would work."

ROTFLMAO

What’s also hilarious is how he makes these sweeping statements using words that make no sense like “predicts the prices” lol !

This is a uneducated lunatic who has got his ideas from some looney bin corner of the internet.

I’ve been been too busy actually working with my “capital” and making these terrible profits to take much notice of this thread for the past few days but it’s always hilarious to come and have a look at his latest crazy butchering of basic logic

Old 01-23-2019, 06:05 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,436,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
1. Yes YOU did. You said in one single sentence..."No, universities would still exist, and people will still barter and trade with personal property and services. "

So which personal property or service would I trade to my history professor at the university?? How many students does he have? How many "personal properties and services" does he need, and how will he ever keep track of them all? This is why currencies were invented, to simplify trade. Barter works fine for a while, but after a time you need a system of credits and debits to handle the numerous transactions people make, and the sequence that they need to use them.

2. And how much land is that? If they have a tractor it could be many, many acres, while the guy without a tractor can only work a couple acres, even with a horse and plow, there are limits. I don't know what you are saying by the phrase "the amount of land they operate by". Please define "operate by". Maybe I "operate by" 3000 acres.
1. Universities accept students off of their academic skills, not financial capital. The service if you will is that of comprehension or ability, not financial trade.

/. Whatever amount of land you work on. If you work with others then you share that land. If, by myself, I am growing an acre of crops, then for that duration of time I have a monopoly on the land. But only for that duration.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
They create value.

Do you really think function is the source of value by itself in a market system?

No, value is used as an investment tool, and a means to accumulate wealth. A cure for cancer would have functional value only insofar as the demand for it exists.

A block of gold is not valued by its function by the buyer, and not even the price of oil as that value (function) is not given to the person who buys stock in oil, but it is bought for the sale of the value itself.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
When you don’t even have a basic understanding of your own system, this can be the affect.

For your friends, they still can not grasp that value is not gained by function itself in a capitalist system, and ignore the value of investment in real estate, gold, or even artwork.

The investment does not come from a need of function, but from a growth in wealth. When value can not be stored in goods to increase over time, then the trade of goods would be based on function.

Please try to understand this simple concept.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
ROTFLMAO

What’s also hilarious is how he makes these sweeping statements using words that make no sense like “predicts the prices” lol !

This is a uneducated lunatic who has got his ideas from some looney bin corner of the internet.

I’ve been been too busy actually working with my “capital” and making these terrible profits to take much notice of this thread for the past few days but it’s always hilarious to come and have a look at his latest crazy butchering of basic logic
Lunacy comes from those who don’t want to think. We keep harping on the fact that value is only used for function, which is a delusional statement.

If people believe that then there is no hope for them. Furthermore investing in capital and using it are two different things.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:00 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Lunacy comes from those who don’t want to think.
It's pretty funny that you're responding to people saying you tend to make things up and draw poor conclusions from your fanciful notions... by making something else up.

There is no correlation between lunacy and people not wanting to think, if anything many people with mental health issues tend to overthink. Who taught you that whatever pops into your head must be a fact, regardless of whether you have any education or experience on the subject?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics