Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 10:02 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,782,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I asked you about who defines "worth", why and how they got there, why that someone tolerates being branded with a price sticker. Those are not trivial questions. You treat "worth" as a constant of nature, it is not.
so forget "worth" and go with a more common term "fair market value" price paid between a willing buyer and willing seller. Individuals brand themselves with a price sticker by selling their labor to a willing buyer for a price both parties deem to be fair market value.

If they feel their labor is worth more, they should find that willing buyer to complete that sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 11:03 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
so forget "worth" and go with a more common term "fair market value" price paid between a willing buyer and willing seller. Individuals brand themselves with a price sticker by selling their labor to a willing buyer for a price both parties deem to be fair market value.

If they feel their labor is worth more, they should find that willing buyer to complete that sale.
Since "market value" is ultimately linked with expropriation of means of subsistence from a good chunk of the market players and wage slavery for those at the bottom there is nothing fair about it. Free people do not brand themselves and do not sell their lives at a great discount no matter what you think of their worth. "Willing" applies only if both parties deal at equal terms. When one party has survival threats hanging above his head and the other does not, "willing" is a hollow sound. This sort of unequal dealing cannot be traced to the Big Bang, it took thousands of years and mountains of corpses to set up this sort of market place we take for granted.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Since "market value" is ultimately linked with expropriation of means of subsistence from a good chunk of the market players and wage slavery for those at the bottom there is nothing fair about it. Free people do not brand themselves and do not sell their lives at a great discount no matter what you think of their worth. "Willing" applies only if both parties deal at equal terms. When one party has survival threats hanging above his head and the other does not, "willing" is a hollow sound. This sort of unequal dealing cannot be traced to the Big Bang, it took thousands of years and mountains of corpses to set up this sort of market place we take for granted.
I love the persecution complex. Handy excuse for all that ails you in life, it's always someone else's fault.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:28 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
I asked you about who defines "worth", why and how they got there, why that someone tolerates being branded with a price sticker. Those are not trivial questions. You treat "worth" as a constant of nature, it is not.
You do. It is the basic underlying principle in your “1:10000 labor exchange” bit.

Every individual defines worth for themselves. Some people believe that owning a BMW is “worth it” and some people don’t. This is a pretty simple concept.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I love the persecution complex. Handy excuse for all that ails you in life, it's always someone else's fault.
I love when Econ 101 fans in this thread carpet bomb me with psychobabble labels (deemed to be insulting within current social paradigm) hoping that something will get under my skin.

Immediate survival anxiety among a good chunk of market participants is essential for the free market to assign value to this or that, including market participants themselves. And not just survival but survival in an artificial human environment. Those who control society, control the extent of survival anxiety and thus market values and ultimately inequality. It is a simple train of thought unrelated to my persona.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I love when Econ 101 fans...
I love how you consider anyone who challenges or disagrees with you to be an Econ 101 fan.

The persecution complex continues.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:18 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
I love how you consider anyone who challenges or disagrees with you to be an Econ 101 fan.

He is not wrong, the invisible hand seeks to make people as insecure as possible about their own survival so they will take wages FAR below what they believe they are worth so they dont starve or die of exposure.

The powers that be diliberatly ensure that people do not have access to basic human needs like food and shelter without paying a steep premium, that allows the cycle to continue.

People cant ask for what they are worth because they don't have the means to hold out for those wages. When one side is worried about their survival and the other side is not it is not even close to an equitable negotiation.

Why do you think there are so many entities vying for nuclear weapons, because it provides leverage to forcibly level the playing field. If I think that you are trying to take advantage of me and I dont like it I can leverage the deployment of nuclear weapons. As smaller and smaller groups are able to attain them pretty soon there will be no one to retaliate against because them will be us. Its easy when you have nice neat political boarders separated by oceans to fire weapons back and forth at each other (and so thus it never occurs). But what about when the nuke is delivered via box truck ....

Old 02-18-2019, 03:42 AM

603 posts, read 442,904 times
All these threads really do is make me laugh at how crazy these communists are and then think how we really can’t afford to laugh at them because they are actually quite dangerous ( look at what happened to California! ) and really we need to actively eradicate these verminous ideals wherever they are found.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:

There are at least three kinds of disagreements. Factual, value based and self interest based disagreements. It takes mighty intense mental equilibristics to deny that old fashioned coercion is a must for a market based economy as we know it to function. What "value" or self interest of yours is so powerful it propels you to deny reality? You attempt to turn it personal using cheap manipulative tricks I've overgrown long time ago. Try harder. I really do not care what people without "persecution" complex you allege should think or do.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:30 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
All these threads really do is make me laugh at how crazy these communists are and then think how we really can’t afford to laugh at them because they are actually quite dangerous ( look at what happened to California! ) and really we need to actively eradicate these verminous ideals wherever they are found.
Very few groups have nuclear weapons so I’m not sure how dangerous anything is right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics