Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 04:37 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times

Advertisements

What kind of mpg do the vehicles get? How much do you drive in a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 05:25 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisnow92 View Post
Hey guys! I am kind of struggling with trying to choose a reliable vehicle. It’s got to be a Toyota or Honda. So I can get a 1996 Tacoma low miles (139,000) and 4X4 5 speed xtra cab with a 4 cylinder (very very reliable and known to last years) it’s been inspected by a shop and they said it’s perfect and gave me the green light. No frame rust anywhere. It’s $6000 but if you look around you’ll see rusted out Tacoma’s or 4runners from that era that are 270,000 miles asking the same amount. They hold their value very well cause they last. I’ve seen 400,000 to a million miles on these. The plan with the Tacoma is to run it into the ground so I can save up for a duplex or triplex or even just a single home of my own and once property is bought buy a corolla or Camry to daily drive and have the truck for truck stuff and blizzards. I need a 4x4 or AWD where I live and do multiple trips to the family cabin through brutal conditions. The other option is to buy a newer, safer, 4runner. It’s a 2007 with 121,000 miles. It’s 13,300. I’d like that instead but money’s tight and I feel like it would be more to maintain than the bare bones Tacoma. All though it can seat 4 and presents a better image to outsiders.

So a bit about my money.

Make about $800 a week gross
Really early in my career
Have about $17,500 cash saved up
Kind of hard to build that kind of cash up with my income.
I have a Roth IRA that I contribute to monthly for my retirement I started at 24 (26 now)

So spend 13,300 and have $4200 left
Or spend $6000 and have a stil reliable as heck but older truck and have $11,500 left over.

Let me know what your thoughts are. I’m looking for answers of people who have been through a similar fork in the road.
How long are you thinking of taking to save up the house down payment? If you are going to be keeping that car for a while I'd suggest going with a more compact car with under 100k miles for the same price. Otherwise you raise the effective cost of your mountain biking hobby to $2,000+ per year. Is it worth that much to you?

Old 02-24-2019, 08:34 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
And why do you need a truck exactly?
It is not frugal, an average person doesn't need a truck for anything and you can't even pick up chicks with that make and age. Also anything that old develops fatigue of metals, the thing can just break in the middle of not rusted frame.
Yeah, I see them all the time, shower of sparks flying from the rocker panels.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:12 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
And why do you need a truck exactly?
It is not frugal, an average person doesn't need a truck for anything and you can't even pick up chicks with that make and age. Also anything that old develops fatigue of metals, the thing can just break in the middle of not rusted frame.

THIS^^^.

I have a 2018 Yaris IA coupe. It was inexpensive. The gas millage is phenomenal, it's sporty and peppy.
http://thedrive.com/new-cars/21348/2...ar-you-can-buy

I'd get a new car rather than an old one. In the long run, that's the better choice.

RememberMee makes some good points.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:44 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
THIS^^^.

I have a 2018 Yaris IA coupe. It was inexpensive. The gas millage is phenomenal, it's sporty and peppy.
2018 Toyota Yaris iA Review: Probably the Best Cheap New Car You Can Buy - The Drive

I'd get a new car rather than an old one. In the long run, that's the better choice.

RememberMee makes some good points.
ROTFL

What the heck is this guy going to do with a Yaris?
Why do so many people over-think the car buying process?

Old 02-25-2019, 09:22 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisnow92 View Post
The fact that you even had to bring the motor in to be taken apart into pieces drives me away from Subaru’s. Yes cars break but that story with Subaru is much more common than it should be.
Not so with a Subaru of similar vintage as the Tacoma. The mid to late 90's Subaru have the 2.2 engine that is dead reliable, maybe more so than the Toyota truck you're coveting. Avoid the Subaru 2.4.

The old Subarus don't get great MPG, not much better than the Tacoma, but they're generally much cheaper to buy and maintain. I'd still go with the Tacoma though. That's a good deal.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:21 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
Get the truck. It's an awesome deal. There is a reason used Tacoma's are expensive. You can't kill them. It's going to outlast your plan.

Good luck in your savings and getting the new house!

Old 02-25-2019, 10:43 AM

577 posts, read 494,720 times
I owned a used 1997 Toyota Tacoma ext cab, 4 x 4 auto transmission with 67 K miles on it, back in 2000. Great little truck.

Have to watch out for frame rust on the older Toyota trucks though. I saw a 1997 TTEC 4x4 auto just like mine, that had 180K miles on it the other day in very good condition for sale. $9K. Wow. The old Toyota trucks in good condition, have good resale and are in big demand in my state.

The only reason I sold mine was I could never get the seat adjusted to where it would not hurt my back. I even looked in to custom seats for it, but finally gave up and traded it to a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:51 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
I would skip on the Taco mainly because it is too old to be your daily driver. Also, prior to 1999, light trucks including the Taco (under 8500 pounds) were not subject to Federal Safety passenger car rules. That means no airbags and no side impact capabilities. You should find something 10 years newer. Taco's always draw a premium.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:16 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
I would skip on the Taco mainly because it is too old to be your daily driver. Also, prior to 1999, light trucks including the Taco (under 8500 pounds) were not subject to Federal Safety passenger car rules. That means no airbags and no side impact capabilities. You should find something 10 years newer. Taco's always draw a premium.
Too old because....why? Remember he's in Alaska. Probably drives more than I do but not nearly as much as in lower 48. I drive about 3000 miles a year and have a 30 yr old vehicle that would no doubt outlive me if it weren't for frame rust progressing.

Lack of airbags means truck should be driven by no one-sent to junk yard or Cuba perhaps? That's not very frugal advice. Well, maybe if you calculate in hospital costs in the unlikely event a wreck occurred in truck that was more injurious than in a newer vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics