Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 05:21 PM

185 posts, read 143,502 times

Advertisements

So far, Twitter is blowing up with the results of working class tax returns. They're not good! I wonder how the average CD'r is doing? Myself, I'll most likely benefit (businesses, higher AMT exclusions, etc...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 07:00 PM

20,155 posts, read 9,049,040 times
Working class doesn't realize their tax cut is included in every paycheck.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times
The working class don't really pay much in tax to begin with, I should know - I are one!!

Ok, maybe not right now, but I was, and I didn't pay that much in taxes.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:14 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
I had a big pile of 1099 income with self employment tax. I knew my tax liability to the penny as I was earning the money and set it aside for quarterly estimated tax payments. I kind of roll my eyes at people who get to tax filing season without a clue what their tax liability is going to be. That should have all been something you worked out a year ago so you're withholding the correct amount.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:00 AM

Yes, the media is constantly harping the "withholding" line. However, Twitter users are suggesting the 'untalked' about 'other.' The deletion of decades long "working class" tax credits.

Their biggest complaint seems to follow: If my taxes are being lowered (as claimed) and the reduction of withholding rates (doesn't require legislation) - (enacted quickly to impact the 2018 election) are in line with the tax reduction, then why do they sometimes owe thousands more in taxes?

Remember when the Speaker (at the time) bragged how some teacher could now afford a CostCo membership because of her tax savings?? Some low amount of change like $20/month(??). That would be a tax 'savings' of $240/yr. So how does that teacher (who now gets no credit for buying teaching supplies) now get a tax 'bill' of $1500?? That isn't a 'withholding' issue (keep in mind, the working class was supposed to make 'more' so the reduction in withholding was essentially their tax savings).

Any comments or insights? #GOPTaxSCAMStories

Old 02-20-2019, 09:29 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE1SG View Post
Yes, the media is constantly harping the "withholding" line. However, Twitter users are suggesting the 'untalked' about 'other.' The deletion of decades long "working class" tax credits.

Their biggest complaint seems to follow: If my taxes are being lowered (as claimed) and the reduction of withholding rates (doesn't require legislation) - (enacted quickly to impact the 2018 election) are in line with the tax reduction, then why do they sometimes owe thousands more in taxes?

Remember when the Speaker (at the time) bragged how some teacher could now afford a CostCo membership because of her tax savings?? Some low amount of change like $20/month(??). That would be a tax 'savings' of $240/yr. So how does that teacher (who now gets no credit for buying teaching supplies) now get a tax 'bill' of $1500?? That isn't a 'withholding' issue (keep in mind, the working class was supposed to make 'more' so the reduction in withholding was essentially their tax savings).

Any comments or insights? #GOPTaxSCAMStories

This is kind of nonsense. Let's say that "working class" has a $50K AGI cutoff. $25/hour. Filing single and taking the standard deduction, that's $4,375 in Federal income taxes. Your effective tax rate is less than 9%. Married, an AGI of $100K has the same numbers. You're still in the 12% bracket. The working class hardly pays any Federal income tax at all.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:36 AM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
The media is clueless. Anyone with any common sense knew to check their withholdings.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 AM

Cheesie,

The point is..... this was sold as a "TAX CUT."

So if your withholdings went "down" $20 per month for a total of $240 for the year, then wouldn't that equal the "tax cut?"

Yet, a lot of people are seeing a "tax INCREASE" because they're paying MORE (taxes) than last year.

Their argument is that #1: Their pay didn't change. #2: Their withholding dropped $20 (SOLD AS THEIR NEW TAX CUT) then....... their return should be the same as last year. #3 Its NOT! Its FAR LESS. So they're saying, yes their tax was cut, but it was their tax "REFUND" that was cut. And that "CUT" in refund FAR EXCEEDED what they 'SAVED' in withholding cuts.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:02 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Cheesie,

So if your withholdings went "down" $20 per month for a total of $240 for the year, then wouldn't that equal the "tax cut?"

Yet, a lot of people are seeing a "tax INCREASE" because they're paying MORE (taxes) than last year.

Their argument is that #1: Their pay didn't change. #2: Their withholding dropped $20 (SOLD AS THEIR NEW TAX CUT) then....... their return should be the same as last year. #3 Its NOT! Its FAR LESS. So they're saying, yes their tax was cut, but it was their tax "REFUND" that was cut. And that "CUT" in refund FAR EXCEEDED what they 'SAVED' in withholding cuts.
If it was sold as a “ tax cut” I guess I didn’t read the brochure. I read that I needed to check my withholdings to make sure I was having enough taxes withheld. My taxes did not increase. From 2017 to 2018, my income increased 4K, and my federal tax liability decreased by $500.

And no...if my withholding goes down...that certainly does not mean there has been a tax cut. It means the tax tables have been revised. Jeez. How do people not understand this?

Old 02-20-2019, 12:26 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times
Quote:
Cheesie,

The data doesn't support your view. You're pretty much just making numbers up out of thin air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics