Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 08:59 AM

812 posts, read 796,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Move. No reason not too. You can't sit and wait for the world economy to do its thing. You work at a call center, you aren't likely to do much worse by moving. Its not like you are planning a 30m capital expenditure and worried about demand.
I so agree with this. I don't know anything about your situation really, but if you hate where you live and you have a crappy job, why stay?

If you have no other compelling reason to stay where you are, now seems as good a time as any to try a new place. I don't know where you are looking to move, but call center jobs are pretty plentiful in a lot of towns. I know that isn't what you want to do, but if you can get a job lined up where you want to go, that will make the move easier. Then you can look at other options once you settle in your new home.

My DH and I moved to AZ in our late 20s (sight unseen for me), and it was the best thing we ever did. The economy was not exactly booming at that time, but we did fine. Being young and having few possessions helped. There wasn't a whole lot to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 12:40 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,989,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
LOL. That's preposterous.
This time it will be housing, student loans, autos, credit card, national/state deficit, pensions, unemployment, immigration, trade wars, and de-valuation of the $/stagflation all at the same time.

Get out your umbrella and rain boots!

Old 08-16-2019, 01:30 PM

27,599 posts, read 28,706,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In the meantime, another part of me trades the weekly, monthly and quarterly cycles, down and up, up and down, and makes money on it comin' and goin'.
There are no weekly, monthly or quarterly cycles in the stock market that will allow you to make money on a consistent basis.

You will get better results flipping a coin or going to an astrologer.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:30 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,497,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
This time it will be housing, student loans, autos, credit card, national/state deficit, pensions, unemployment, immigration, trade wars, and de-valuation of the $/stagflation all at the same time.

Get out your umbrella and rain boots!
Exactly.

Housing starts were touted as down in the spring. New permit issues were down. New car sales were down. Retailers are closing stores and/or going out of business all together.
Listed houses are selling for multiples of thousands less than listed or going off market.
Small businesses have suffered.
Cruise and vacations are down.
The stock market has been all over the map, only this time sharply up or down on "whims".

The worlds businesses and markets have suffered.

Major election coming up.

And as this poster quoted noted, rising debts everywhere.

All point to a recession sooner than later.

Good luck to all...

Old 08-16-2019, 02:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
Oh brother. There's always a recession coming. Even when one is leaving, another one is coming eventually. If everyone keeps saying it long enough, they'll eventually be right. Meanwhile, the market will sputter here and there but continue it's upward climb like it has for decades.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:12 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,989,562 times
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...of2&yptr=yahoo

Old 08-16-2019, 04:33 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,701,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Why do you think we are about to have a recession?
The deficit crows are about to come home to roost.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bo...ear-2018-01-16

Keep your powder dry.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:44 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,597,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It looks like the party is over and we are about to have a recession. Do you think this will be as bad as 2008? Will it be worse?

I'm currently stuck in a dead end call center job in a town I hate and was planning on moving in a few months to a larger city in hopes of finding a better job and better life, but now I'm having second thoughts.
I don't think it will be as bad as what started in 2007, since that was a Great Recession.

But it's coming. That was foreseeable as soon as the huge tax cut bill for the wealthy, that was unpaid for and added or will add $1.5 Trillion Dollars to the deficit, coupled with deregulation, occurred. That's a known recipe for a recession. It happened with the Great Depression, and again with the 2007 Great Recession.

I've read that so-called experts are looking for it to start end of 2020, while some say 2021, and some say they don't know, but soon.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:40 PM

8,077 posts, read 12,799,949 times
Americans are in over their heads again. Can the economy continue to grow while consumer debt is at an all time high?

Old 08-16-2019, 05:55 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,661,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
For the vast majority of people, there generally isn't much good investing advice other than to buy an S&P 500 ETF and keep adding to it for decades.
That's certainly good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Very few people will ever beat or outsmart the market over the long term.
I think I know what you intend to say. What you actually said, however, isn't quite right.

For EVERY SINGLE dollar invested that "beats the market," there is a corresponding dollar invested that "loses to the market" because arithmetically speaking adding together the returns both market-beating dollars invested and market-losing dollars adds up and averages to -- surprise -- the market. This is not fictional Lake Wobegon where everyone is above average.

There are plenty of people who attempt to beat or outsmart the market. By definition, some will beat the market and some will lose to the market.

Here's the thing: for people who beat the market, is it luck and hence irreproduceable? Or is it skill and hence reproduceable? For people who lose to the market, is it bad luck? Or is it bad skill?

The best study I'm aware of is that of professors Eugene Fama (University of Chicago Booth School of Business & Nobel Prize in Economics) and his long-time collaborate Ken French (Dartmouth). Here is their paper: http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/bespen...Skill-JF10.pdf Please note the above paper, which answers the "Luck vs. Skill" question, is pretty technical stuff. You need a bit of math and you need a fair understanding of modern portfolio theory.

Thankfully, there here is a summary intended for mere mortals (people not in a PhD program in Finance): https://famafrench.dimensional.com/e...rformance.aspx . Most of us on C-D in the Economics forum can read this summary and learn a thing or two.

TL;DR

The short answer is some pretty cool statistical analysis of mutual fund returns shows that the vast majority of "beat the market" returns are, indeed, explained by luck. There are a tiny sliver of market beaters who appear to do so from skill. In whole, once you take into account the fees charged by professional mutual fund managers, the fund managers win and the investors lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics