Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2019, 11:44 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Think about it, how many divorces are there? How many are due to people changing and not about the money?
I knew someone that lived in a 3 million dollar home, bought exotic cars like Lamborghinis, Bentley’s every 4 to 6 months. No shortage of money or financial problems. He mostly stayed at home, she worked, she left him. Yes they had kids.

He never saw it coming.
Ok so nothing new - a lot of people divorce. Are you telling everyone not to marry because it could hurt them financially? Well guess what...it can also help you...financially and otherwise.

My material needs a few - I COULD live on half my net worth.

All angle protection. Smart people do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 11:49 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Ok so nothing new - a lot of people divorce. Are you telling everyone not to marry because it could hurt them financially? Well guess what...it can also help you...financially and otherwise.

My material needs a few - I COULD live on half my net worth.

All angle protection. Smart people do it.
No I’m not saying that people shouldn’t marry. My response was to yours about being married. You think it’s 100% guaranteed she will stay. I’m telling you there’s a possibility she won’t, just as others have said.
No one knows if you can live on half your net worth since it changes all the time based on your responses.

Your right, all angles, smart people do it. You don’t look at all angels based on your post history which means you are not smart.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
No I’m not saying that people shouldn’t marry. My response was to yours about being married. You think it’s 100% guaranteed she will stay. I’m telling you there’s a possibility she won’t, just as others have said.
No one knows if you can live on half your net worth since it changes all the time based on your responses.

Your right, all angles, smart people do it. You don’t look at all angels based on your post history which means you are not smart.
There’s no guarantee about anything in life. Stop being a control freak.

Take the course that leads to more overall happiness...

BTW - I’ve said from day 1 that my living expenses are far less than my income.

You’ll need bulletproof arguments to approach me...I have all day to see angles.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:44 PM

654 posts, read 424,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Yeah until she is tired of working while you take it easy and you get served with big D papers and she takes half and you have to go back to work.
It's very possible she gets the hots for one of her hard-working productive coworkers, thinks about all the possibilities a dual income household would provide and makes the move. Trips to Europe, home renovations, private schools... the possibilities.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I've been thinking about that questions and started thinking how parents help their children besides paying for a degree/school. In some respects giving the child that money with clear guide lines until age 21 isn't a bad idea.

First it puts the onus on the recipient to learn how to manage money and also helps them mature/grow up. Instead of playing with mommy and daddy's money which is what many do in college they have to think every time they spend it. And suffer any consequences like taxes, interest, fines, penalties etc.

Also what I see too many parents do for their adult over 18 children other than give them money winds up enabling poor behavior and put themselves at risk. This includes co signing student and car loans or getting things for them in their name which leaves them open to all sorts of liability Letting the child on their car insurance policy is one of the most common mistakes I see wether it's an addiction issue or tough times issue. If somebody else is taking responsibility and paying for it the recipient/user doesn't have to take risk or make tough decisions-they get all the reward but suffer no penalties for their decisions. And if a parent wants or has to cut off these favors like drop them from an insurance policy not only is it administrative work it can cause consternation to say the least.

On one hand a 200K budget to start life could be considering enabling or the other it could wind up being the best teacher in the world.
You should not outright pay for your kids education. They need earn it themselves or find ways to pay for it. They need to develop the hunger to become successful through challenge.

Most disrupters and influencers did not come from a family that paid them through college. Most are from avg middle class families.

Elon Musk was the perfect example, he didn't grow up rich he had lots of ideas and similar to Steve Jobs he founded his 1st few companies and made millions off their first company then went on to bigger endeavors.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:01 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You should not outright pay for your kids education. They need earn it themselves or find ways to pay for it. They need to develop the hunger to become successful through challenge.

Most disrupters and influencers did not come from a family that paid them through college. Most are from avg middle class families.

Elon Musk was the perfect example, he didn't grow up rich he had lots of ideas and similar to Steve Jobs he founded his 1st few companies and made millions off their first company then went on to bigger endeavors.
The people you speak of are the exception, not the rule. The rule is that people trying to work full time and go to school full time are likely to be chronically sleep deprived and/or stressed, which reduces performance. A little pressure is good, too much is harmful and counterproductive.

Piling on more cherry picked anecdotes ( even if you are one of them) doesn’t change the basics of human psychology, such as the Yerkes-Dodson curve ( performance is best with moderate pressure, not high pressure).

Old 12-19-2019, 02:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If a parent has a spare $200,000 for each and every child in the family, those kids could get a useful college degree and come out without any debt and a lot of leftover money in an investment account.

College degrees are a good investment if the degree is carefully chosen and the child is level-headed and intelligent.

If the child is not level-headed and intelligent, it would be throwing $200,000 away to turn it over to that child at such a young age.

If the kid is a self-indulgent partier, then if a parent happened to have a spare $200,000 in cash laying around that they didn't want, it could be put into a trust fund for the kid and dole out a pittance of income every year until the kid discovered that JJ Wenthworth would give him a few pennies on the dollar to buy that trust fund from him. Then the money would be gone.
I agree with all of this!

Old 12-19-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The people you speak of are the exception, not the rule. The rule is that people trying to work full time and go to school full time are likely to be chronically sleep deprived and/or stressed, which reduces performance. A little pressure is good, too much is harmful and counterproductive.

Piling on more cherry picked anecdotes ( even if you are one of them) doesn’t change the basics of human psychology, such as the Yerkes-Dodson curve ( performance is best with moderate pressure, not high pressure).
Go to community college part time and work full time. Problem solved.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:37 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,025,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Go to community college part time and work full time. Problem solved.
Now this, or something like it, I can get behind. Simple solution for many.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Now this, or something like it, I can get behind. Simple solution for many.
If the goal is simply to retire very young...trade CC for a part time job. You probably won’t learn anything original there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics