Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 06:06 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times

Advertisements

I have a customer with a really old piece of equipment. The last 5 visits the technicians have recommended replacement. She refuses to do that. I have done a few free visits but we have reached the point that I have to bill her a service call for all calls we run now. It’s hard to help someone that won’t take the steps to help themselves.

The lady called to comply that we charged her. I explained that we can’t keep coming out for free. I have to cover labor, truck, materials etc. She thought I was being unreasonable. I gave her rock bottom price to refurbish existing, replace or remove it. She wants to do nothing that costs money.,She threatens to give bad reviews. Fine, without working for free, I can’t help her.

Well then the daughter called back. I explained it all to her. Daughter argues that it’s our equipment and I explained her parents bought the equipment 25 years ago. We just installed it but they definitely own it. Throughout the entire conversation she just kept repeating that her mother is 82 years old... finally I said I am not sure what her age has to do with this 25 year old piece of no longer functional. She is a ****ty tone said, “mam, she has a limited income”.

I have a limited income as well. Don’t we all have a limited x amount of money to work with? I know no one that has a endless supply of money growing on a tree they can pluck off whenever.

What is this mentality that just because you made it to 82, that nothing should cost money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 06:44 AM

5,997 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have a customer with a really old piece of equipment. The last 5 visits the technicians have recommended replacement. She refuses to do that. I have done a few free visits but we have reached the point that I have to bill her a service call for all calls we run now. It’s hard to help someone that won’t take the steps to help themselves.

The lady called to comply that we charged her. I explained that we can’t keep coming out for free. I have to cover labor, truck, materials etc. She thought I was being unreasonable. I gave her rock bottom price to refurbish existing, replace or remove it. She wants to do nothing that costs money.,She threatens to give bad reviews. Fine, without working for free, I can’t help her.

Well then the daughter called back. I explained it all to her. Daughter argues that it’s our equipment and I explained her parents bought the equipment 25 years ago. We just installed it but they definitely own it. Throughout the entire conversation she just kept repeating that her mother is 82 years old... finally I said I am not sure what her age has to do with this 25 year old piece of no longer functional. She is a ****ty tone said, “mam, she has a limited income”.

I have a limited income as well. Don’t we all have a limited x amount of money to work with? I know no one that has a endless supply of money growing on a tree they can pluck off whenever.

What is this mentality that just because you made it to 82, that nothing should cost money?
I understand your frustration and agree with you. Some people think that just because they have some "situation" that might be different from the average consumer, that automatically entitles them to a free handout from others.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:44 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
we like to dream up stereotypes .... like those words "living on a fixed income " which are supposed to conjure up visions of an old woman counting pennies out trying to buy groceries .

in the mean time those living on a fixed income are those working who don't get raises , at least social security increases with inflation .

so living on a fixed income really means little , you can be wealthy and living on fixed income from bonds ...

here in nyc the term living in a rent stabilized apartment stirs up visions of an old couple in an old hobble struggling to pay rent .

in the mean time stabilization has nothing to do with net worth .. it only has to do with the type of building and how long you lived there .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-24-2020 at 07:20 AM..

Old 01-24-2020, 07:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Reminds me of when I had a business for 16 years, and several times people from different local churches would come in and ask for a discount, because they were "non-profit." My response was that I was not non-profit, I was trying to raise a family on the profits from my sales.

As for the aged, I have noticed that those elderly complaining the most about high prices are those that have the most money. Many of them that truly struggle never complain, they just pay what they have to.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:44 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Reminds me of when I had a business for 16 years, and several times people from different local churches would come in and ask for a discount, because they were "non-profit." My response was that I was not non-profit, I was trying to raise a family on the profits from my sales.

As for the aged, I have noticed that those elderly complaining the most about high prices are those that have the most money.
One of the reasons they have more money is that they whine and carry on over every expense, pull on people's heart strings, guilt tripping and shaming. I grew up with a parent like this. Financially he was fine as he got older but you'd never know it. He'd try to convince everyone he was almost destitute. House was a mess. Dressed like a ragbag. His car ran, but there was some problem with the charging system so it stranded everyone regularly. Would he take it to a shop to find out why? No. He'd direct everyone to put it on a battery charger all night. He would either buy cheap crap that broke quickly and complain about it constantly. His house was littered with non functioning small appliances (when I cleaned it out I found no less than 23 broken phones).

For some reason I keep recalling a battle over a garbage disposal. Year after year the thing could handle less and less. The food chopping and shredding we had to do just to squeeze a few more uses out of the disposal grew longer and longer. Would he ever consider replacing it? No. Once while I was visiting I ended up creating a pile of vegetable trimmings most normal people would compost. He never composted anything. He told me to put them down the disposal, expecting it to handle it. The sink drain line clogged up to the point nothing would clear it. When he realized a plumber had to be called, he went ballistic. The plumber removed a mass of fibrous stinking junk and found that the disposal blades were worn down to nothing. It wouldn't have handled soggy cereal. He still refused to replace it and insisted the plumber put everything back as it was before. And called the poor guy to scream about the bill. And complained about the disposal for another few years.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:49 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
.......I have done a few free visits but we have reached the point that I have to bill her a service call for all calls we run now. .......
And why or why did you start this process of providing free service?

Old 01-24-2020, 03:51 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Quote:
Throughout the entire conversation she just kept repeating that her mother is 82 years old... finally I said I am not sure what her age has to do with this 25 year old piece of no longer functional. She is a ****ty tone said, “mam, she has a limited income”.

Old lady is emotionally attached to the object and wants you to fix it for free. Daughter mentions age because she wants you to feel sorry for an old lady and give her (old lady) a break. People won't see your side that you're running a business, only their own side.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:15 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
I know from my late grandmother older people don't like to spend money.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:06 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
I blame AARP. I'm 66 (almost 67) and they bombard me with e-mails about all the swell discounts I can get just because I'm Old. (I joined only because I wanted their Medicare supplement.) Then they bombard me with more e-mails urging me to call people in public office or sign petitions giving this or that to seniors.

Yes, there ARE many poor seniors, some due to bad luck and some due to bad decisions. I'm not one of them and I never ask for a senior discount. If one is offered I take it but if it's based on the assumption that seniors are poor, it's very wrong in my case. I'd rather it went to someone struggling to raise a young family and pay off student loans.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
this is an HVAC system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics