Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 03:27 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times

Advertisements

When I went to the store and found the toilet paper shelves empty, I just bought a bunch of paper towels. They work fine for me (I'm a hardass}. If they get used up before this all ends, my stack of old, historic newspapers might be in jeopardy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 03:54 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
I've been procrastinating on installing the bidet I picked up at that French novelties shop a few months ago. Maybe I should get on it.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:34 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Toilet paper manufacturers are in for a rough ride. I assume they are gearing up like crazy to try to meet the demand, but when this thing is over with, no one will be buying any toilet paper at all, because they already have 2 years worth at home to use up.
Some are, some aren't. Both P&G and Georgia Pacific (who control large part of consumer paper market), have said they either were running down existing inventory before ramping up production, and or only doing the latter to a certain point.

To be clear there isn't an increased need overall by American consumers for toilet or other consumer paper goods. Just that for reasons known only to themselves people are hoarding the stuff as if it was going to be discontinued or something.

What manufacturers fear, and what likely is to happen is a glut of TP both in stores or in people's homes that drives down demand. Thus any newly created extra inventory will sit in supply chain or warehouses resulting in prices going down to move it off shelves.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohn...lies-are-safe/

It is very easy to get humans into herd panic mode. Same sort of thing happens when a snow storm or other bad weather is predicted. People lose their minds going shopping to stockpile bread, eggs, milk, and god only knows what else until they have enough food and stuff for duration. This even though many already had plenty at home. Then when storm or whatever doesn't happen or isn't bad as predicted they are stuck with all that bread, eggs, milk......

Old 03-19-2020, 06:06 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Who needs TP when you have a Redneck Bidet.

https://twitter.com/BnzSales/status/1239512006052458499

Old 03-19-2020, 08:19 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Toilet paper manufacturers are in for a rough ride. I assume they are gearing up like crazy to try to meet the demand, but when this thing is over with, no one will be buying any toilet paper at all, because they already have 2 years worth at home to use up.
Sounds like you have a nice stash! If you think TP is flying off the shelves, you should see ammo!

Old 03-19-2020, 08:19 AM

654 posts, read 631,633 times
Yeah, thanks to the stupid, media believing sheep that panic bought and hoarded it. Baaaaa Baaa, be scared people be very scared..

Old 03-19-2020, 08:22 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I think people are stocking up on toilet paper for a couple of reasons. One is that many places have closed down schools and many people are working from home which means the toilet paper usage is going up in homes. Then, if this pandemic gets worse and we can't leave our houses at all folks want to make sure they have enough to get by for at least a month.

I went to Publix by me in Cape Coral and they were out of toilet paper, paper towels, bleach, alcohol, rice, bananas, many canned goods including tuna, frozen vegetables and some pet food. Fortunately I was able to get what I went there for but I was going to buy some toilet paper as I only have 4 rolls left. I ordered pet food on chewy.com and many items were out of stock and delivery is now 5-8 days instead of their normal next day delivery.

I have a little less than half a tank of gas so when I go out later to pick up a prescription I'm going to fill up "just in case". I'm sure others might be thinking the same way. I feel like I'm living through "The Walking Dead" only without zombies (yet). I have a feeling if this continues people are going to become more agitated and concerned for only themselves.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:06 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I think people are stocking up on toilet paper for a couple of reasons. One is that many places have closed down schools and many people are working from home which means the toilet paper usage is going up in homes. Then, if this pandemic gets worse and we can't leave our houses at all folks want to make sure they have enough to get by for at least a month.

The TP was gone before anything was shut down.

Quote:
I have a feeling if this continues people are going to become more agitated and concerned for only themselves.
Gun sales are up

Old 03-19-2020, 09:42 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Gun sales are up
Hard to believe such a shortage after the surge during the Obama years.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:43 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When I went to the store and found the toilet paper shelves empty, I just bought a bunch of paper towels. They work fine for me (I'm a hardass}. If they get used up before this all ends, my stack of old, historic newspapers might be in jeopardy.

They work if you're not on a septic. Otherwise I'd burn them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics