Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 10:08 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times

Advertisements

I keep saying that this will be worse than The Great Depression because able bodied Americans and people in other countries are forced to stay home and not work. Thus they are not contributing to the economy. So not only do we have sick people who are not contributing, the people who could are not contributing. This will inevitably lead to the collapse of individual American households and thousands of businesses. How will loans help if there are no customers? To make matters worse, we are not quarantining strictly, so the virus is continuing to spread rapidly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 10:43 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,460,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I keep saying that this will be worse than The Great Depression because able bodied Americans and people in other countries are forced to stay home and not work. Thus they are not contributing to the economy. So not only do we have sick people who are not contributing, the people who could are not contributing. This will inevitably lead to the collapse of individual American households and thousands of businesses. How will loans help if there are no customers? To make matters worse, we are not quarantining strictly, so the virus is continuing to spread rapidly.
I also think this will be far worse than the Great Depression because fundamentally, we are in much, much worse shape now financially than we were in the 30s.

The "misery index" (unemployment rate + inflation rate) will be massively greater this time. During the Great Depression, the COL fell sharply (and it would have fell even more if not for government meddling in the economy). In this Greater Depression, runaway currency debasement is going to make the cost of everything skyrocket. Pensioners are going to have to go back to work, and savers are going to be financially raped.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:59 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Forbes is forecasting a possible Great Depression 2.0...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnmau...t-a-recession/

I get his arguments but I feel it's going to be as bad as 2008 tops!! 2008 was pretty messed up so that is bad but Depression? I don't buy it.

I think a lot of people have forgotten how bad 2008 was, it was total carnage, people losing jobs and homes like flies!

When you learn to distinguish between work stoppage and a lack of work, perhaps we can have a fruitful discussion.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
I believe this is just an economic pause for 18 months because companies are sitting on billions of cash unlike any of the prior recessions.

Banks are not allowed to fail since the last 2 recessions they were expected to have reserves in place of major financial crisis. Those were the terms of the TARP that banks received free cash in exchange.

The other part is we have a digital economy today that is greater than our physical economy. There are millions of people that work without having to be at the office. That has already been in place for the last 2 decades. There are always people working from home doing legal work, your mortgage processor, recruiters, even medical workers can work from home with the right tools. Its the boomer generation that still requires workers to perform digital work on premise.

Yes, I'm a tech worker and many of us work from home everyday even before the crisis started.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:08 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
The Great Depression and then the 2008 crisis were peas in a pod. The same thing caused both of them - systemic instability inside the financial system (banks). Then it spread outward. First to go was the speculative financial economy (market), then the main-street banking system, then the main street economy.

This is the opposite. The main street economy is the one sick this time because we can't allow productive people to be productive for fear of everyone getting sick and overwhelming the health care system. What makes our economy run is not allowed to run because of nature.

That has affected the markets, although the main-street banking system seems fine and ironically is a source of comfort in a way. However, they will eventually feel a hit when millions of people can't afford their mortgage payments, etc...

Old 03-29-2020, 10:33 AM

30,169 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Full depression? I don't buy that now that the package was passed: like you I would put it more in the category of 2008-09

The big difference is in 2008-09 people were encouraged to go out and spend the stimulus money. Everything was open. Now you are not even suppose to leave your home and almost everything is closed. On top of that most of the world has shut down stopping international trade. Consumers are 70% of the economy and they are not consuming except for food and emergency supplies.

If we just had a bad downturn like 2008 I would agree. But the virus is a wildcard. We don't know how long it will take to get the all clear message. Is it going to peak in April, May? And we don't know if it will come back again full force later this year. If its 18 months or more to a vaccine will we get a repeat of this year early next year?

Old 03-29-2020, 11:15 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
Or this could be over in 2 months and things get back to normal rather quickly.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:17 AM

987 posts, read 780,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The Great Depression and then the 2008 crisis were peas in a pod. The same thing caused both of them - systemic instability inside the financial system (banks). Then it spread outward. First to go was the speculative financial economy (market), then the main-street banking system, then the main street economy.

This is the opposite. The main street economy is the one sick this time because we can't allow productive people to be productive for fear of everyone getting sick and overwhelming the health care system. What makes our economy run is not allowed to run because of nature.

That has affected the markets, although the main-street banking system seems fine and ironically is a source of comfort in a way. However, they will eventually feel a hit when millions of people can't afford their mortgage payments, etc...
This is why we should be staying home and not out co mingling with the world.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:35 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times
Debt economy is a house of cards. Oh we will get back to biz of some sort in two or three month, but think this maybe a fundamental change. Marginal biz isnt going to just switch on and lot of economy is service/luxury oriented. Many will go bankrupt and owner will have to start from scratch again if he/she decides to do so. You can make a personal living from small service biz, but its not a particularly lucrative one. Most people that open small restaurant or other small biz do it cause its possible to do on a shoestring. You dont start up a factory or even a traditional farm on a shoestring.

Definitely interesting times. Honest I prefer boring and comfortable, rocking chair and warm fire, but nobody asked me what I wanted. You get what you get. Like said before, least it isnt war and starvation.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:14 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Debt economy is a house of cards. Oh we will get back to biz of some sort in two or three month, but think this maybe a fundamental change. Marginal biz isnt going to just switch on and lot of economy is service/luxury oriented. Many will go bankrupt and owner will have to start from scratch again if he/she decides to do so. You can make a personal living from small service biz, but its not a particularly lucrative one. Most people that open small restaurant or other small biz do it cause its possible to do on a shoestring. You dont start up a factory or even a traditional farm on a shoestring.

Definitely interesting times. Honest I prefer boring and comfortable, rocking chair and warm fire, but nobody asked me what I wanted. You get what you get. Like said before, least it isnt war and starvation.
Yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics