Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should unemployment benefits exceed job pay?
Yes 18 13.43%
No 116 86.57%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 11:52 PM

6,346 posts, read 2,900,201 times

Advertisements

It looks like it's giving people a bad incentive and making it hard for employers.

Quote:
Potentially thousands of workers who were laid off from small businesses due to the coronavirus pandemic are declining to return to work because the combined income they are receiving from federal stimulus benefits and New York’s unemployment system is more than they made at their jobs.

The fallout also has hindered the ability of small business owners to meet the conditions of the federal Payment Protection Plan loans, which may be forgiven if the money is used to maintain employee payrolls....
“Many businesses have employees coming in and say ‘can you please furlough me,” Tully said. “It’s creating a major problem for companies that are in the limbo. ... We’re not like a restaurant or a diner where we’re completely shut down.”
NY workers opt for unemployment as benefits exceed job pay | News | oleantimesherald.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 01:55 AM

1,142 posts, read 579,213 times
Depends. Low income folks cannot last as long since they are always hanging by a thread anyhow yet we need them.

We need all jobs filled. I hope this isn't a thread to begrudge them this one grace.

Many large businesses are being granted much more $$... often quite undeservingly since they are not needing it

Old 04-22-2020, 05:54 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,096 times
It specifically should not exceed what you were previously making. That is just silly. You shouldn't be getting a raise just to sit around doing nothing lol.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:44 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
It specifically should not exceed what you were previously making. That is just silly. You shouldn't be getting a raise just to sit around doing nothing lol.
Unless of course there’s a world pandemic or something and the tax policy is intentionally trying to get people to stay home and provide social distancing or something.

If that were the case, it’s almost like it’s working exactly as intended.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:12 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Unless of course there’s a world pandemic or something and the tax policy is intentionally trying to get people to stay home and provide social distancing or something.

If that were the case, it’s almost like it’s working exactly as intended.
I understand that's the intention, but the potential pay bumps are just absurd. Here in NC, you can now end up with $950/week total on unemployment - the equivalent of $23.75/hour. That is a massive raise for some people and just a bit ridiculous if you were only making (for example) a wage in the $10-15/hour range while previously employed.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I understand that's the intention, but the potential pay bumps are just absurd. Here in NC, you can now end up with $950/week total on unemployment - the equivalent of $23.75/hour. That is a massive raise for some people and just a bit ridiculous if you were only making (for example) a wage in the $10-15/hour range while previously employed.
It's interesting you promote a thread begrudging people who contribute positively to society yet aren't as fortunate while the Go'vt is tossing huge amts of money to those who are extremely fortunate

Last edited by SaraR.; 04-22-2020 at 10:44 AM..

Old 04-22-2020, 09:46 AM

5,155 posts, read 3,762,104 times
Quote:

Yeah I don't think it makes any sense and I fall into the category you just mentioned. Unemployed but was really just working for pin money at this point.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:49 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
The current concept where it exceeds your prior pay is temporary, more temporary than unemployment payments itself. It’s purely another form of stimulus. That’s it

Old 04-22-2020, 09:53 AM

My husband and I have gotten in better physical shape thru cycling.
We are gaining 2500 feet in elevation at each ride only stopping twice to rest.
Within a week or so, we will not need to stop at all.
Most likely after this COVID, I will remain in shape since exercise has turned into an addition
I feel so good, loving the euphoria.
Sleeping better and eating better. Exercise seems to tone down my cravings for junk food.
My body is at that play dough stage.
It has substance
My entire body will be firm enough pretty quick.
My arms have definition
We were riding before yet not as hard and not long enough. it always hurt to ride (we always ride up hills)
We were in shape most of our lives so know the signs. There is a hump you get over then it's smooth sailing
This happened last ride.
One day you realize it doesn't hurt anymore, or hurts very little, and now it's an addiction.
This COVID has changed our lives.

I will be working more hours for now on after this, than I usually have overall in my life
Already in contact for a new job however it doesn't start for another 11 months. Pay is better too.

Many folks will have time to get their health in order.
Trying out various natural remedies during the lockdown.
Getting in shape
Sleeping better. Mental health will be better.
This is a positive thing for poor people. An opportunity they'll never have again
I could go on and on about the benefits my husband is also experiencing but will spare everyone

Last edited by SaraR.; 04-22-2020 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-22-2020, 10:00 AM

1,361 posts, read 553,056 times
Quote:
That's how I feel about it too. I've seen comments (some here at CD) from people talking about how they don't think it's worth going to work to make less... and others asking their employers for a layoff.

LOL

The wife and I are still working essential jobs (her in healthcare billing, me in food industry equipment manufacturing) and commuting together. Our combined income is about $130k. Washington max UI is $785 per week I believe. A ballpark figure of $600 a week x2 (it would probably be higher) plus the federal bonus thru 7/31 of $600 per week x 2... that's $2400 a week x 52 weeks = $124,800.

Where do we sign up?

Seriously though... you couldn't pay me to take a layoff. Glad to be working. Without question. We got snowed in last year and spent 5 days at home. I was going stir crazy. No thanks on a layoff. I have no problem with extending unemployment beyond the initial 26 weeks. It's been done before. The bonus $600 is a bit much and leads to no incentive to return to work. Even if jobs were plentiful how many people will be milking this till the end?

A whole lot. Still... as said upthread this bonus UI is only temporary and just another form of stimulus. Am I mad or jealous? Not at all. I'm still working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics