Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 05:34 AM

1,917 posts, read 1,279,709 times

Advertisements

I've always been somewhat cheap. Maybe my food bill has dropped a bit and car modifications. As far as clothing, I have 3 pairs of sneakers that are in good shape, good hiking boots, Levi's skinny jeans that seemingly last forever, and black t-shirts and hoodies. I rarely buy clothes. Even for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 12:06 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
With our dying planet ready to expire any day now, and with another virus sure to follow this virus, I'm spending more as if it's going to happen tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:49 PM

191 posts, read 91,416 times
I wouldn't say "slashing" but I'm spending less than before Covid even with a stable job.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
We have been slashing spending and paying down debt since last August. Nothing to do with Covid or worlkld events. we just had too much debt. We will continue to cut and budget carefully for the next seven years.

During the shut down I saved so much on gasoline, I bought myself a really nice cordless drill/driver set. I spent more on that than three months of my total budgeted spending money, So that certainly was not slashing.

Our biggest spending slshes have been through refinancing debt. Now we are looking at refinancing our house. that will be a major slash.

Other spending cuts were forced on us by the Covid shut down. gasoline savings, reduced car insurance premiums, almost no more eating out, no dry cleaning, less laundry, no flowers, trees or plants this spring. . . .

We do nto have much more intentaionl slashing that we can do. We could get rid of interent and us the library (but any savings gets eaaten up by gas and tolls for driving to the library. We could make little nicks at other budget items, but slashes are just not practical.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-20-2020 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-20-2020, 03:19 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have been slashing spending and paying down debt since last August. Nothing to do with Covid or worlkld events. we just had too much debt. We will continue to cut and budget carefully for the next seven years.

During the shut down I saved so much on gasoline, I bought myself a really nice cordless drill/driver set. I spent more on that than three months of my total budgeted spending money, So that certainly was not slashing.

Our biggest spending slshes have been through refinancing debt. Now we are looking at refinancing our house. that will be a major slash.

Other spending cuts were forced on us by the Covid shut down. gasoline savings, reduced car insurance premiums, almost no more eating out, no dry cleaning, less laundry, no flowers, trees or plants this spring. . . .

We do nto have much more intentaionl slashing that we can do. We could get rid of interent and us the library (but any savings gets eaaten up by gas and tolls for driving to the library. We could make little nicks at other budget items, but slashes are just not practical.
The library will be the first thing to close if they do more lockdowns.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:43 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,512 times
We don't really go out to eat, maybe once every couple of years anyway, so we are actually spending a bit more on food[where did the great discount specials go?] We are fairly low income and we always put $200 every month in savings.

We received a total of $2400 in stimulus checks, and though we ussually buy almost nothing, we spent a bit of it on friends, family and a food bank that needed it. The second half we bought more beehives, gardening supplies, canning jars, a few other things, AND everything we needed to put up a nice raised patio with a retaining wall and we bought an umbrella with LED lights for it, and it is about three quarters done and it's going to be beautiful. This was on our "if we ever get a windfall" list. At first, we were going to grow our savings, but we decided that wouldn't stimulate the economy.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:55 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I actually started the year (before coronavirus blew up) with the resolution to save $20K by the end of the year and focus on frugality. I'm more than halfway to my goal and will have a year's worth of expenses saved before long. My job is continuing as normal, and I might even get a nice bonus in September.

I haven't cut back on much. I started a diet, and i spend a lot less on "fun" food and delivery, so that's nice. But I've been donating when I can, and just generally keeping myself to a low-key lifestyle.

No manicures or eyebrow waxes, of course. But I'd just started getting manicures as I'd only recently stopped biting my nails, and my eyebrow waxes were just $20 even with a generous tip. So that's not a big change.

There's been some impulse buys on Amazon, but it's all been stuff that is useful and, if not necessary, an improvement on quality of life. (Like blue light blocking glasses so checking email at night won't mess with my sleep).

Old 05-20-2020, 06:39 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Not by choice, but yes. Commuting way down. Can't go to restaurants. Had tickets for a ball game that was cancelled, also trip reservations. A race I was registered to run in got cancelled as well. Used to go dancing and to concerts, can't do that either. Saving for when this all becomes possible. Did buy new shoes, though.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:40 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,279,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Diego Paradise View Post
I like this. k

Even though I miss my local watering hole for my social hours , I'm saving all that money by drinking at home. I might just have enough by the end of summer to get this decayed bridge replaced.
Same here. I don't know if the bars/local restaurants will ever recover from this. I even learned how to make some of my favorite dishes at home! Crazy.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:46 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't think I can afford a new car, but for those who can, this is a good time to buy a car, IF you need to buy a car, anyway.
You'd sure think so, but from what I can tell, not really, speaking specifically of new cars (not the purchase of a previously owned car). It's not a bad time; just don't expect any special deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics