Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 12:13 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo The One View Post
Do you ever actually provide any useful information or do you just post critical remarks about others?
His is an important point.

https://mythfighter.com/2009/11/24/f...ing-time-bomb/

The reason the the USD is no danger is because of world demands. And there is no other currency even on the horizon to supplant it. So it is not just the dollars that reside in the general circulation of the USA, but the USD's that reside in circulation all over the world, and moneys not in circulation in the USA and all over the world.

Thousands upon thousands of communities, cities, countries, banks, other financials and big businesses all over the world rely on the USD and USD denominated debt. Not to mention people of and in power, politicians, the rich and other crooks and thieves world over with their stashes.

It will take more than USD numbers alone in the world to collapse the currency. It would take an additional major global chaos. War, asteroid, physical national destruction of our productivity, war machine and rule of law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 12:24 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Crypto currencies are problematic for many, many reasons, but perhaps their biggest issue is the immensely complex and high-tech networks and infrastructure needed to sustain them. If things get very bad in this country those could easily fail, completely or partially.

All paper assets (including real-estate) will be devastated in this crisis. At this point, the precious metals are the only way to protect yourself from being financially raped. I think silver has tremendously more upside potential than gold. Yet it is completely neglected and unloved at the moment...
I worked in IT (design and programming) in my prior life and hadn't even thought about the fragility of cryptos as they are completely dependent on tech. But so are modern currencies.

National currencies, i.e. those required to pay taxes, usually collapse vis-à-vis other currencies, and since ALL currencies today are fiat and ALL Central Banks are ready, able and willing to create money endlessly I do not foresee a US$ collapse coming anytime soon.

But inflation? Likely. And evident now in assets such as RE, equities, ...you name it.
So despite (perhaps because of?) the massive quantitative easing by all the big players wealth will become even MORE unequal than it is today!

I believe the poor will be subsidized and bought off and become ever more dependent on governments.
Which will be controlled, for the most part, by the rich elites of all political and ethnic persuasions.

I hope I'm wrong.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:57 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo The One View Post
Then he should offer some useful commentary on why a collapse is not coming instead of just constantly going around saying critical remarks here without any substance. Disagree and then expand on why you disagree.
I never said a collapse was not coming, nor did I say it was coming.

I'm interested in when others think it's coming. A prediction of something coming some forever undefined time frame is pretty useless.
- I predict the Brewers will win the world series someday.
- I predict someday the Bewers will go 100 years without winning a single game.

[Mod cut: personal]

Last edited by elnina; 06-05-2020 at 09:27 AM..

Old 06-03-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
I worked in IT (design and programming) in my prior life and hadn't even thought about the fragility of cryptos as they are completely dependent on tech. But so are modern currencies.

National currencies, i.e. those required to pay taxes, usually collapse vis-à-vis other currencies, and since ALL currencies today are fiat and ALL Central Banks are ready, able and willing to create money endlessly I do not foresee a US$ collapse coming anytime soon.

But inflation? Likely. And evident now in assets such as RE, equities, ...you name it.
So despite (perhaps because of?) the massive quantitative easing by all the big players wealth will become even MORE unequal than it is today!

I believe the poor will be subsidized and bought off and become ever more dependent on governments.
Which will be controlled, for the most part, by the rich elites of all political and ethnic persuasions.

I hope I'm wrong.
In my long experience, you are correct on all counts!

Old 06-03-2020, 01:31 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
When?

Surely you have a date in mind since you're telling me to start preparing. We've had people in these forums saying currency collapse is around the corner for over a decade, so a wee bit jaded with the random someday horizon thing.
Don't be jaded. Have some patience, because when it does happen, it will be the biggest event in the history of man since the Great Flood.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:22 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Don't be jaded. Have some patience, because when it does happen, it will be the biggest event in the history of man since the Great Flood.
So... not interested in giving a date? Just have patience because someday something bad will happen?

Old 06-03-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
That biggest event would be the global catastrophe that caused physical destruction. And that would lead to a useless currency.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:48 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Can the Federal Reserve, at any time, just click a button and digitally add say $1 trillion to their account, and use it to purchase Treasuries, bonds, ETFs, etc.? Basically, can the Fed conjure-up any sum of money at their own whim?

Seems pretty crazy if they actually have that authority. Shouldn't (Is?) Congress be involved in controlling the nation's money supply? I guess as long as they avoid inflation I am fine with the arrangement we have, as most people probably would be.
yes

Old 06-04-2020, 07:33 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
It appears the central banks have taken a page from the WWE and started a round of tag-team monetary stimulus. The ECB announced a €1.4T bond purchase program in coordination with the Fed and BoJ’s ongoing debt purchases. It’s like the old
SNL skit with Hans and Frans...

The issue now is how the central banks will eventually unwind and sell all of these $trillions of bonds and loans without further disrupting financial markets. I know many see themselves as “momentum” investors and BTFD is their mantra, but it seems this latest action by the CBs makes a mockery of the whole concept of markets.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:21 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Can the Federal Reserve, at any time, just click a button and digitally add say $1 trillion to their account, and use it to purchase Treasuries, bonds, ETFs, etc.? Basically, can the Fed conjure-up any sum of money at their own whim?

Seems pretty crazy if they actually have that authority. Shouldn't (Is?) Congress be involved in controlling the nation's money supply? I guess as long as they avoid inflation I am fine with the arrangement we have, as most people probably would be.
Technically yes. Even banks can do it. Now after march, I think the fractional reserve requirements has been set to 0 after march . So even if they have 0, they can still lend some 100$ and make interest on it.

"Fractional reserve banking is a system in which only a fraction of bank deposits are backed by actual cash on hand and available for withdrawal. This is done to theoretically expand the economy by freeing capital for lending."

https://medium.com/navigating-life/w...l-c501432e9be6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics