Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 07:58 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times

Advertisements

We have a cash business plus accept Venmo. Every two weeks I go to the bank to deposit at least $200 in coins. The teller told me there was a coin shortage but it has been alleviated. Occasionally we hire a self-employed worker. They are willing to accept cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 09:10 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Right. Either way it's theft. The neighbor didn't know they were doing that until he was going through checkout and by then everything was bagged and totaled up. He didn't want to make a spectacle over the 87 cents, and he had already took the time to get a buggy full of food that he needed. But anyway if the stores have half the customers pay cash every day and they rip off the customers for that every day then it adds up. If they keep this up then by the end of the year stores can make thousands to millions extra by stealing change from people while the public shames the victims if they complain about it.

With the amount of coins in circulation it makes no sense that there would be a coin shortage. Plus, when they first tried to get everyone to go cashless they used the excuse that it was because of the virus. People used cash/coins anyway, so now they're using the excuse that there's a shortage.
obviously, you take between 99 cents and $5 worth of change with you wherever you go.

A simple anecdotal guess would be that those MOST likely to use cash, and dig into their pocket/purse for change are the same people who are staying at home as much as possible (ie, older folks), and even THEN they're now often using some type of card.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:59 PM

449 posts, read 195,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't pay cash these days, but if I did, I would be ok with a store keeping the change for a cause that wasn't their own bottom line. Ace Hardware asked me to round up for a certain children's hospital, and I was fine with it.
Maybe... but they do that with credit card purchases also... who monitors that the actual round up cash gets distributed to the "charity" ?

It may be a small sum, but can add up to a substantial amount over the course of a month. I know that a certain Chinese fast food company does ask customers to round up to support certain charities.

.50 x 200 customers daily = $100 x 2000 + locations = $200,000 daily x 30 days - 6 million a month

that ain't pocket change.... 72 million a year to a "charity" ?

Old 07-27-2020, 10:29 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Right. Either way it's theft. The neighbor didn't know they were doing that until he was going through checkout and by then everything was bagged and totaled up. He didn't want to make a spectacle over the 87 cents, and he had already took the time to get a buggy full of food that he needed. But anyway if the stores have half the customers pay cash every day and they rip off the customers for that every day then it adds up. If they keep this up then by the end of the year stores can make thousands to millions extra by stealing change from people while the public shames the victims if they complain about it.

With the amount of coins in circulation it makes no sense that there would be a coin shortage. Plus, when they first tried to get everyone to go cashless they used the excuse that it was because of the virus. People used cash/coins anyway, so now they're using the excuse that there's a shortage.
If a store told me they were keeping my money, I would tell them I was keeping one of the candy bars they have so handy near the register, that has to be pretty close to 87 cents, give or take as long as cash transactions have now become approximations.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:47 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Our local stores are now rounding up the coin portion of the total up to the next dollar and keeping the change. For example, one neighbor was at Kroger and he was owed 87 cents. Kroger rounded the 13 cents up to a dollar and refused to give him the 87 cents. They kept his money. Someone else has said the local Wal-mart is doing this as well. The banks and stores are refusing to give out coins.
The Kroger policy is for CASH customers:
The rounded up amount will appear as a charitable donation to the selected charity on your receipt if you're a standard consumer.
If you have any Kroger family loyalty card, the change is applied to that card as a credit and will be applied to your next purchase using the card.

For Credit or Debit card customers, you're charged the exact amount as no coins are involved.

There has been some stories from people who claimed Kroger took their change all the time but so far all the news organizations found the policy to be working as Kroger stated. I suspect people are not aware of or reading the posted pandemic/coin shortage change policy.

To add, just read a news story from MA that some consumer was complaining that WalMart stole her change, but the news station she contacted checked her receipt and the cash donation was clearly on the receipt. They also showed the prominently posted change policy posted at the register. Maybe people are just not paying attention to the cashiers.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:48 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
We would never expect customers to round up, if we are ever short on change, we give them more back.

No problem with coins, our bank will still give them out as long as you are in the closest drive through, since you can't go inside and you can't get them through those cannisters at the other drive throughs. We also have customers who will bring us their rolled change.

As for us, we pay cash for anything we don't need to keep records of for the IRS, like groceries, gas, clothes, hardware store, etc. No problems anywhere.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:55 PM

8,241 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The Kroger policy is for CASH customers:
The rounded up amount will appear as a charitable donation to the selected charity on your receipt if you're a standard consumer.
If you have any Kroger family loyalty card, the change is applied to that card as a credit and will be applied to your next purchase using the card.

For Credit or Debit card customers, you're charged the exact amount as no coins are involved.

There has been some stories from people who claimed Kroger took their change all the time but so far all the news organizations found the policy to be working as Kroger stated. I suspect people are not aware of or reading the posted pandemic/coin shortage change policy.

To add, just read a news story from MA that some consumer was complaining that WalMart stole her change, but the news station she contacted checked her receipt and the cash donation was clearly on the receipt. They also showed the prominently posted change policy posted at the register. Maybe people are just not paying attention to the cashiers.
Either way, the customer doesn't receive their money back if the customer is forced to give to a charity. The store is stealing the money and giving it to a charity for them against their wishes. People who are low income don't have the money to spare to give to charities.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:09 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Either way, the customer doesn't receive their money back if the customer is forced to give to a charity. The store is stealing the money and giving it to a charity for them against their wishes. People who are low income don't have the money to spare to give to charities.
So bring your own change or don't shop at that store. The policy isn't a secret.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We would never expect customers to round up, if we are ever short on change, we give them more back.

No problem with coins, our bank will still give them out as long as you are in the closest drive through, since you can't go inside and you can't get them through those cannisters at the other drive throughs. We also have customers who will bring us their rolled change.

As for us, we pay cash for anything we don't need to keep records of for the IRS, like groceries, gas, clothes, hardware store, etc. No problems anywhere.
My bank used to give rolls of quarters at the window closest to the building. They stopped doing that. Had I known they were going to stop doing that I would have got me some more quarters really quick.

Some of the other banks will give them out to their customers. I have no income, so I cannot become their customer. They all require you to have so much of direct deposit enter the account each month, as well as a minimum balance, or else they charge fees each month. I have no way to meet their qualifications.

My bank has waived the requirements for me for now because I've been their customer since 1999. I met the requirements until I was cut off disability last year. I went in to close my account after I lost my income and they saw how long I've been with them and waived the fees to keep me there.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
So bring your own change or don't shop at that store. The policy isn't a secret.
Where am I to get change to bring my own if no one is handing out change anymore?

I was just at the store a few days ago and they were still giving out change then. The self checkout was at least. I didn't receive any e-mails from them telling a policy change, and I get lots of e-mails from them and read them all. My neighbor didn't know until he went through the line. So yes, it was unknown to me and the other residents in the building.

Forcing customers to give to a charity when many are financially struggling in the first place is wrong. The cost of groceries have gone up. A lot of people have lost their incomes or have had their incomes cut.

If the mint is producing more coins than it used to then there should not be a coin shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics