Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 06:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwen View Post
Seriously tho, how many people do cash transactions on a regular basis now, anyway? I keep change in my car and my desk at work, but don't carry any, and only keep a few bucks in my wallet. For the most part, I use a CC or debit card.
I use cash sometimes. I cash a small check once a month, rather than deposit it, and use it for various things. Sometimes even a larger purchase like in a grocery store. Might pay some Girl Scouts for some cookies. Or buy something at a garage sale. I might buy some terrible lemonade from some neighborhood kids or pay one of them to do a terrible mowing job.

IT'S LEGAL TENDER. I am not sweating bullets so to speak about the supposed shortage of coins. It's the move to a cashless society that bugs me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 07:33 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,066,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I am unfamiliar with those personally. I avoided them years ago after hearing stories about some of them not working and stores not issuing refunds. Right now I am posting this trying to understand how widespread this is and trying to get ideas for laundry.

I have no income and use a food stamp card for groceries anyway, so it won't affect me much except for obtaining quarters. I do have concerns of other people and how it impacts them.

Thank you to the poster who had the idea of car washes. Trying to find out where they are here. I just hope they are not closed down.

What state are you in?.
Am asking b/c this hasn't been a problem in Illinois.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:06 AM

10,103 posts, read 6,450,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My small, local bank will run my jars of extra coins through their coin sorter and give me bills back, any time, for free. I haven't rolled coins for years. That's one thing I love about them, and one among many reasons we don't have our accounts at a huge national bank.
My credit union does the same thing, which is one reason I enjoy banking with them. My late husband used to roll loose change; he always said it was relaxing. I thought he was nuts.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:34 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,545,286 times
A car wash near me did this for the longest time. They would charge $8.99 for a wash. If you gave them a $10, they would just give you back $2. They would never give the penny unless you asked. They did this for all their services. You had to actually ask for that 1 cent back.

What's the big deal though? Just a penny right?

Except that's all now tax-free income for the cash wash. This car wash serviced hundreds of vehicles per day. It added up. They eventually got busted for the practice.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:40 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,587,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
This car wash serviced hundreds of vehicles per day. It added up. They eventually got busted for the practice.
That would be a few dollars a day then.

This warrants a raid, we shall not stand for this injustice, and must recoup this $200 in taxes they are robbing annually from the coffers. TO THE VANS BOYS! hut. hut. hut hut. hut.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:51 AM

8,252 posts, read 3,503,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
I agree with you about laundry, and have no desire to install the app for the laundry machines.

That said, a smart phone doesn't have to cost hundreds of dollars. You can get a basic prepaid Android smartphone for $30 (e.g. TracFone) and the plan won't necessarily cost any more than a flip phone.

I love flip phones but a smart phone is actually better on a tight budget IMO since it also replaces your internet connection.
Those with smart phones here usually have government issued smart phones which don't do much of anything. The one I had didn't even really allow me to make the phone calls because the person I'd call could never hear my voice. The phone never worked right. My mom bought me an unlocked smart phone to work with the service so that I can have a phone.

Even coming up with that low of an amount for a phone is a hardship for some people. If you have low or no income and can get a government phone then it's foolish to spend money you don't really even have on a phone.

It doesn't replace internet connection. I have a government phone service, and it's supposed to come with data. It never works. Fortunately, I get internet for $5 a month because I'm on food stamps. I've got my rent and internet paid up thanks to the stimulus check.

The people here with flip phones ask others how to do stuff on their flip phones. They are elderly and couldn't use a smart phone. I still haven't gotten very good at using my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
What state are you in?.
Am asking b/c this hasn't been a problem in Illinois.
KY

Old 07-29-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
A car wash near me did this for the longest time. They would charge $8.99 for a wash. If you gave them a $10, they would just give you back $2. They would never give the penny unless you asked. They did this for all their services. You had to actually ask for that 1 cent back.

What's the big deal though? Just a penny right?

Except that's all now tax-free income for the cash wash. This car wash serviced hundreds of vehicles per day. It added up. They eventually got busted for the practice.
If the wash was $8.99 and the customers got more change than what was owed them then what's the problem if they kept the penny? I'd rather have a dollar than a penny.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:58 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
The bank is refusing to give out change.
OP, where do you live, that this is going on? There hasn't been any problem in my state--NM. Haven't heard about it in CA or WA, either.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth4truth View Post
op, where do you live, that this is going on? There hasn't been any problem in my state--nm. Haven't heard about it in ca or wa, either.
ky

Old 07-29-2020, 11:17 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,353,643 times
just saw this...

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...rtage/2370493/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics