Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2020, 03:21 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
TaxPhD, your favoring consideration of USA enacting UBI, (i.e. Universal Basic Income) surprises me. UIB would be a politically determined. Your posts certainly inferred the basis of your opposition to minimum wage rates is due to their rate being political determined. You’ve been no less opposed to a minimum wage rate annually pegged to a market indicator. UIB would be a politically determined equilibrium price. As I’ve stated before, IMO, no U.S. Congress will pass any “living wage” act until they have passed and we’ve experienced a federal minimum wage rate that’s been annually monitored and updated when necessary to retain its purchasing power.
I have no doubt the purchasing power of that minimum wage rate, (or something else that’s similar to it), will inevitably be passed and enacted in the USA. I also expect that rate's purchasing power to be substantially greater than our current federal minimum.
Respectfully, Supposn
My discussion of the most appropriate way to pay for societally determined benefits in no way means that I agree with the underlying benefit. I’m just pointing out the immorality of shifting that burden away from society in general and onto the backs of a small subset of society (business owners).

Old 08-02-2020, 03:41 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
It shouldn't even be a question. Every adult human being working full time should be able to live on a wage. So yes. A fair minimum wage should be a human right. Simple. Only the stupid and cruel think otherwise.
What is your opinion of what someone getting a "living wage" should be able to afford on that wage?

Specifically, such as daily Starbucks coffee? Dining out? Cocktails? Manicure? Pedicure? Car or public transportation? Able to afford a modest apartment or able to buy a house or condo?

What is the minimum a living wage should cover?

Old 08-02-2020, 05:33 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Exactly that, SF.

At what point did needing to have roommates, cook your own food, etc. become unacceptable as living?

Old 08-02-2020, 09:27 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
What is your opinion of what someone getting a "living wage" should be able to afford on that wage?

Specifically, such as daily Starbucks coffee? Dining out? Cocktails? Manicure? Pedicure? Car or public transportation? Able to afford a modest apartment or able to buy a house or condo?

What is the minimum a living wage should cover?
Median rent.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:12 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Median rent.
Where?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfONPMXaGW0

Old 08-02-2020, 10:15 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Honestly, as an economist if you already aren't aware of how part of the money was misused then there is no point in having this discussion. You could be a very intelligent individual and you may be well versed in economics but your lack of knowledge on this subject is too glaring for me to engage with you any further. It would simply take too much time/effort on my part to type enough context and then to answer your questions. Its like trying to discuss the founding of the 13 colonies with someone when they are not even aware of where they came from and for what reason.

Also, based on your other replies on this topic you would then come up with some counter that misses the whole point of what I reply to you with (kind of like your replies to my other posts). So with all due respect lets just agree to disagree.
I asked you for some specifics and you didn't offer any. So far as your claim that I lack knowledge in this subject................I've been on the board of a bank for a lot of years, I was an outside economic advisor to the board before that and I've taught various econ. classes at the university level for years.

If you'd like to debate money and banking let's go. However, to make claims and then avoid offering examples is an intellectual tap out. And by the way there are several examples of banks being sued and fined for various reasons related to the '08 bust.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:18 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Median rent.
So, a low/no skill worker is entitled to compensation that would allow for them to pay the median rent in their locale? Are you really unable to see the absurdity of that?

Old 08-02-2020, 10:42 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
No minimum wage. Let the unions decide.

Otherwise leave the minimum wage issue alone and institute a UBI of $1000/mo minimum to make up for it.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:56 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Median rent.
Median rent at what level of granularity? There are cities with median rents for a one-bedroom apartment ranging from $600 to $2,000 depending on where you live, sometimes within a few kilometres of each other.

Should it be for a studio? In some cities many middle wage earners have roommates, craigslist is full of ads for them. Are these minimum wage workers too good to have roommates like the middle wage earners are willing to do or should we set the median rent on an assumption of a shared multi-dweller unit?

Old 08-02-2020, 11:03 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,308,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
My discussion of the most appropriate way to pay for societally determined benefits in no way means that I agree with the underlying benefit. I’m just pointing out the immorality of shifting that burden away from society in general and onto the backs of a small subset of society (business owners).
TaxPhD, if the minimum wage rate laws were repealed or we permit their purchasing powers to continue being reduced, ’m just pointing out the immorality of permitting employers to generally profit by reducing their own costs and shifting the consequences of their draconian low wage scales upon our entire society. That’s particularly the case regarding instances and extents of poverty among our nation’s working-poor and their families.

Respectfully, Supposn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics