Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 10:57 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
What other countries do it on the scale of the United States with its 330+ million people? The US is the total package — the forefront of American civilization/power.

America is a country where people can live kings on a $15 minimum wage.
You are kidding, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 01:17 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Explanation for stock and housing values that continue soaring?

Just checked Zillow — my home has already increased in value by 400% since 2010 and Zillow says another 11% increase expected next year. I don’t live anywhere special as far as home values.

Supply and demand right?

I already know where this is going though....whining about “America bad small parts Europe good”
What we found out right after the recession, is that US real estate is a hot commodity world wide. The first real estate areas that rebounded after the recession were South Florida, New York, and Southern California.

Our dollar is so stable. People from all around the world had confidence that our real estate market would rebound and invested in it.

Cold in London? Buy a condo in San Francisco or Miami.

Wealthy South Americans knowing their economies would collapse moved their money to real estate in the US.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:48 PM

3,502 posts, read 2,664,329 times
You got to love how early indoctrination into a system works. USA! USA! USA!

Old 12-22-2020, 02:07 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
The whole premise of this thread is SO off base: housing values and the stock market assumes that all "citizens of the Realm" are on those two gravy trains. One can just as easily be a trap (house values and mortgages) which drains medical insurance and other life values, and people "into" the stock market are a very small number of "citizens". All others are OUT.
There really is no reason for most working Americans not to be invested in real estate and/or the stock market. Even McDonalds has a 401k plan, for chrissakes.

That is where you have a high likelihood of making significant money over time.

Old 12-22-2020, 02:23 PM

761 posts, read 316,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
The whole premise of this thread is SO off base: housing values and the stock market assumes that all "citizens of the Realm" are on those two gravy trains. One can just as easily be a trap (house values and mortgages) which drains medical insurance and other life values, and people "into" the stock market are a very small number of "citizens". All others are OUT. And those two items are not the most valuable for personal life. Such as the odds of NOT getting shot in a road rage.
If one can’t navigate the housing and stock market with sensible choices — than that’s more of a priorities thing. Those that DO in America are often rewarded for “buying in”.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Many of us have been around the block a few times.

When you think you have it figured out, you are ripe for a 'wake-up-call'. They can be painfully blunt.

we are 12 yrs into a housing cycle that typically lasts 7-10 yrs. It may last 5 more, or it may not.
Equities are artifically valued for the near term (think STIMULUS = artifical manipulation for which there will be a cost)

Come back in 50 yrs and hopefully you will still be flying sky high. Most or us will be gone in 20- 30 yrs.

Lessons~44 different properties for me (some commercial, some land, some personal residences (the poor performers, even my current one that is worth 10x what it cost me to build)), some income properties, some 1031's, a few businesses, long and varied careers and investments. (currently managing several investment accounts, and farms...). I am miles / decades from having it all figured out. Been blessed, been burnt. But... It all burns in the end. (And you won't care at that moment.)

Old 12-22-2020, 05:36 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Many of us have been around the block a few times.

When you think you have it figured out, you are ripe for a 'wake-up-call'. They can be painfully blunt.

we are 12 yrs into a housing cycle that typically lasts 7-10 yrs. It may last 5 more, or it may not.
Equities are artifically valued for the near term (think STIMULUS = artifical manipulation for which there will be a cost)

Come back in 50 yrs and hopefully you will still be flying sky high. Most or us will be gone in 20- 30 yrs.

Lessons~44 different properties for me (some commercial, some land, some personal residences (the poor performers, even my current one that is worth 10x what it cost me to build)), some income properties, some 1031's, a few businesses, long and varied careers and investments. (currently managing several investment accounts, and farms...). I am miles / decades from having it all figured out. Been blessed, been burnt. But... It all burns in the end. (And you won't care at that moment.)
What does it mean to “have it all figured out”?

Does anybody ever reach that point?

Old 12-22-2020, 06:10 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
Quote:
Look at housing and stock prices.

Our property is a hot commodity. Our stock market won’t slow for any force of nature.

My conclusion:

There is simply no better place on earth to live than the United States of America in 2020. There has never been anywhere better to live as far as having access to so much with such a high degree of upward mobility for even people with no skill following simple practical financial advice.

The US empire is just getting started.
bubble.
go look up what it means, in a financial context.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:48 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
Inequality is the reason. (not just for the USA) Dirt cheap interest rates....spike the rates to 1980s levels...see what happens

Unsustainable compared to the way wages are increasing (or not)
I just looked this up for another thread. Per The BLS real wages are at their all time high. So your last claim is false.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:51 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
yeah. it does work like that
I'm talking about your persistent call for proper interest rates. That's just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics