Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 07:04 AM

1,246 posts, read 823,333 times

Advertisements

I have no interest in grocery delivery and so I've never used Instacart. But I find their existing business model curious and this seems to confirm my doubts. If you're going to order stuff online and have it delivered, why would you pay someone to go buy it at a retail store for you instead of ordering from an online retailer and having it shipped directly from a warehouse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 07:10 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
I have no interest in grocery delivery and so I've never used Instacart. But I find their existing business model curious and this seems to confirm my doubts. If you're going to order stuff online and have it delivered, why would you pay someone to go buy it at a retail store for you instead of ordering from an online retailer and having it shipped directly from a warehouse?

We use Instacart mainly to shop Costco. You may not be aware of this but Costco only ships non-perishables from its warehouses, which is why they partnered with Instacart for things like fruit, vegetables, eggs, milk, etc.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:12 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
The beautify of instacart is there is no warehouse ..I can order from multiple stores and get it all on one order delivered ..we can cherry pick the best of .. the orders are picked and timed to arrive very shortly after the are picked ...

We pay very little for that service in any fees since we got a membership pretty much paid for by our credit card .

Prices are very close to what you pay in store , you just have to watch the stores you pick as some do charge more but most don’t.

We can even include the Costco items on our order which is not only no where near us but you can wait an hour to get in the building to first shop .

Plus we get Costco prices....it would take us half a day or multiple days to hit all the places we can order from

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-01-2021 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-01-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We use Instacart mainly to shop Costco. You may not be aware of this but Costco only ships non-perishables from its warehouses, which is why they partnered with Instacart for things like fruit, vegetables, eggs, milk, etc.
We got fruits , shrimp , fresh fish , cooked chicken ,etc delivered from Costco via Instacart

Old 03-01-2021, 07:32 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We got fruits , shrimp , fresh fish , cooked chicken ,etc delivered from Costco via Instacart
Yep, anything that needs refrigeration or freezing.

I order things like almond milk in shelf-stable packaging, dates, laundry detergent, maple syrup, etc. from Costco's 2-day warehouse service. I tend to order more from Walmart.com's Next Day Delivery service, though. I paid the $99 to join W+ for the free shipping with no minimum order. If Walmart has the item in-store when I order, DoorDash drivers leave it on my doorstep the same day.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:51 AM

For most who don’t use these kinds of services it can be like trying to describe the color orange to a blind person .

Until someone uses these services PROPERLY, there is no real describing the whys , they have to do it .but they do need to use it correctly ..

You can just pick one over priced store with little to offer and never see the benefits others see if you have no clue

Old 03-01-2021, 08:47 AM

1,246 posts, read 823,333 times
Quote:
The beautify of instacart is there is no warehouse ..I can order from multiple stores and get it all on one order delivered ..we can cherry pick the best of .. the orders are picked and timed to arrive very shortly after the are picked ...

We pay very little for that service in any fees since we got a membership pretty much paid for by our credit card .

Prices are very close to what you pay in store , you just have to watch the stores you pick as some do charge more but most don’t.

We can even include the Costco items on our order which is not only no where near us but you can wait an hour to get in the building to first shop .

Plus we get Costco prices....it would take us half a day or multiple days to hit all the places we can order from
Thanks for the explanations... I am not the target market for this service, LOL.

I didn't watch the video in the OP, but per the thread title it sounds like Instacart is considering a change to their business model where they would become more of an online retailer buying groceries at wholesale and distributing from their own warehouses. Perhaps the existing service would remain available as well, I don't know.

People got excited about the "robots" but I thought this was the more significant implication of the headline.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:08 AM

My wife and I had covid and door dash and instacart were lifesavers .....we couldn’t shop or cook for weeks after being in the hospital for two weeks .

We had 3 great meals a day delivered .... all shopping was done for us by instacart . We would have had to have had domestic help all day to cook , shop , etc .....

We needed nothing else and we were just fine .

We actually felt like we were on vacation as each meal we were like what you feel like eating ? We had so many restaurants to choose from ....we still use them a few times a week ...At least once a week I have ihop bring me breakfast as soon as they open at 7am .

We got an instacart delivery yesterday from shop and stop and Costco

Old 03-01-2021, 09:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No one is blaming. What I do wish to avoid is pricing them completely out of the job market.

The solution is to impress upon all the mw job is a short term, entry to the workforce job. Not something anyone should be doing year in, year out.
That exactly what that was. So people shouldn't want a higher wage otherwise technology will take their jobs? They should be content with little scraps?

Technology is coming for jobs at all levels.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:58 PM

3,260 posts, read 1,413,010 times
Quote:

My understanding is that the prices one gets from Costco via Instacart are marked up about 15% vs. shopping directly with the store. These pricing schemes are definitely fluid, so perhaps my understanding is based on dated information. On the other hand, I also understood that one could shop at Costco through Instacart without a Costco membership. That helps to offset any pricing premium charged through Instacart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics