Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 03:53 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,239,454 times

Advertisements

With all the talk of mental health becoming a huge problem due to the isolation, I'm pretty confident in saying that most people do NOT want to just sit at home doing nothing even if they are collecting money.

Too many posters have this delusion that there are millions of people all over that just want to sit like bumps on a log their whole lives. There will be a few of those people but far from most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 05:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What state are you win that you’re getting $4000 a month for unemployment? Max employment in New Jersey is $696 a week, that’s one of the highest and then the $300 federal money. What state has $1700 a week unemployment payments?

Um, there are 4 weeks in a month. $4000 per month is $1000 per week which you yourself just showed is possible, $696 max plus $300 fed. $1700 per week would be $7000 per month.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:46 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
They need to incentivize working.

Instead the government incentivizes NOT working.

Not good for the country.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:59 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I get why they did it, but there are too many shades of gray and they made it way too black and white.

Here's the thing. Being unemployed sucks. It's supposed to suck. You're supposed to have to make difficult choices and have to make sacrifices. Being unemployed is not supposed to be easier than being employed financially. When you're unemployed you're supposed to have just enough money to cover your needs (food, housing, electric) you're not supposed to have extra money left over for new shoes, vacations, amazon shopping sprees, etc.
Don’t be so hasty to assume the worst in people during a global crisis...

Old 04-06-2021, 07:03 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Don’t be so hasty to assume the worst in people during a global crisis...

I'm not assuming the worst, I'm realistic. People aren't going to work to make less money.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:24 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I'm not assuming the worst, I'm realistic. People aren't going to work to make less money.
Depends on the person and their motivation for working. There's generally 3 different kinds of people...

1) For me ... even doing something new, even if it might EVENTUALLY suck, would seem pretty exciting, because my primary motivation for working is not remuneration.

For example, working in an animal hospital would be interesting. Now the pay is very low, but... that is besides the point.

2) Other people OTOH, their ONLY motivation for working is $. So of course ... if you give them the option of collecting $ without working, they'll take that.

3) Other people just don't mind working, even if it's not too exciting work that they've been doing for a long time. They're not really dreamers and are very practical, so sitting there and doing something like database work/medical billing/CAD drafting is fine. My mom was like that. However, I would say mostly for task based, less stress positions.

Think about it ... ex pro athletes who made tens to hundreds of millions of dollars still get on flights at 5AM on a weekend to go fly to some freezing locale to cover a football game.

Why would they do that if they could be sitting on a beach every day for the rest of their life?

The PROBLEM is that too many people are out for themselves and prioritize paycheck over what they are doing to such a degree, so most everybody is by default forced in category 2...

Old 04-06-2021, 05:28 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Um, there are 4 weeks in a month. $4000 per month is $1000 per week which you yourself just showed is possible, $696 max plus $300 fed. $1700 per week would be $7000 per month.
I was thinking week for some reason.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:27 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Depends on the person and their motivation for working. There's generally 3 different kinds of people...

1) For me ... even doing something new, even if it might EVENTUALLY suck, would seem pretty exciting, because my primary motivation for working is not remuneration.

For example, working in an animal hospital would be interesting. Now the pay is very low, but... that is besides the point.

2) Other people OTOH, their ONLY motivation for working is $. So of course ... if you give them the option of collecting $ without working, they'll take that.

3) Other people just don't mind working, even if it's not too exciting work that they've been doing for a long time. They're not really dreamers and are very practical, so sitting there and doing something like database work/medical billing/CAD drafting is fine. My mom was like that. However, I would say mostly for task based, less stress positions.

Think about it ... ex pro athletes who made tens to hundreds of millions of dollars still get on flights at 5AM on a weekend to go fly to some freezing locale to cover a football game.

Why would they do that if they could be sitting on a beach every day for the rest of their life?

The PROBLEM is that too many people are out for themselves and prioritize paycheck over what they are doing to such a degree, so most everybody is by default forced in category 2...
Just curious, where do you put the majority of people, who work to pay their bills and support their families?

You know, paying the mortgage, utilities, car payments, food, etc? I just don't see that as being "out for themselves" but instead, being responsible and doing whatever is best for their children.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:26 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Just curious, where do you put the majority of people, who work to pay their bills and support their families?

You know, paying the mortgage, utilities, car payments, food, etc? I just don't see that as being "out for themselves" but instead, being responsible and doing whatever is best for their children.
I'm glad you asked.

Being responsible and doing what is best for family and children does not mean ... having to live in an $750,000 to 1.2M home and having to send your kids to one of the highly ranked high schools in the state.

Think about what about some people need to make to support to live in an area like that ... 2 to 4 kids, maybe a spouse, and then of course ... themselves ... and retirement for them and their spouse.

That is a ton of money you have to get to make your nut, and you are gonna want to KEEP that nut for the rest of your life.

OTOH, a couple making say ... 50-60K each in middle age is fine to support a family, even here in NJ. Get a nice little house. There's no real reason anybody needs to make more than say ... 70K, but EVERYBODY wants way more than that. And trust me, if even some people were willing to make less ... the price of real estate would go down.

If more people weren't so ruthless in trying to earn as much as they can, we could work less, be more flexible, do work that is more meaningful to society, and have more understanding towards our colleagues, clients, and contractors without having it be one big pressure cooker and have such inequity in pay in jobs.

Last edited by jobaba; 04-07-2021 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-08-2021, 03:38 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,628 times
Wow, can't get people to SIGN UP for $8.00 per hour while you pump bitcoin and stocks into the thousands. Hmmmmm oh yeah sign me up for that $320.00 per week job that won't even cover rent.

Our economy is BROKEN thanks to the FED, ZIRP and our corrupt Government.
Everything is a lie and a sham from CPI, UNEMPLOYMENT, INTEREST RATES. The food system produces negative nutrition garbage. Health care is a disaster. There is a geriatric who should be in a nursing home running the country. The military is worried about gender diversity. Math is racist. Literally the whole thing is a epic cluster.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics