Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 01:36 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I did some simple math from my finances for the last calendar year, and to my complete lack of surprise I'm down $3 for every $1 of stimulus I received due to inflated costs of fuel, groceries, materials, and other basic consumer needs!
How about you?
IDK how you are calculating but we did not get even $1 of stimulus. We got a good increase in net worth due to stocks though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 01:43 PM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Some things went up for us somethings went down ...but overall between markets and income , nicely ahead

Old 04-12-2021, 01:44 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Maybe its local inflation for me then, as we have a very high cost of living here. Groceries, diapers, clothing, property taxes and homeowners insurance are all up markedly, enough that it's erased all my stimulus money and then some. It's good to hear it hasn't been the norm for most people.
Must be. Definitely not the case for me, or any of my family in other states.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:56 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Maybe its local inflation for me then, as we have a very high cost of living here. Groceries, diapers, clothing, property taxes and homeowners insurance are all up markedly, enough that it's erased all my stimulus money and then some. It's good to hear it hasn't been the norm for most people.
Did you get the full stimulus?

When you say you’re spending more on grocery, are you tracking it by item? Or are you simply spending more on grocery because you used to eat out more or your potential kids used to eat at school versus home now?

You also mention diapers..,do you have a new child with new needs? Maybe that’s why your personal cost is up, and have absolutely nothing to do with inflation.

The full stimulus is something like $3200 for a person. You say your cost went up by $9,600? And actually more because you imply having a family.

I’m going to say your math is flawed or this is some coy “I didn’t get the stimulus or I got a haircutted stimulus” thread.

For all we know from what you’ve said, you could be living in a $8,000,000 house in Malibu when you say your property tax is up.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:36 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
Housing (rent and sales prices), groceries, gas, restaurants, HO insurance, etc. have all had noticeable increases where I live.

It hasn't really affected us much because we are middle-aged and established. We did not receive any stimulus payments. Overall, our investments have done well.

It has affected some young family members who are saving and trying to establish themselves. Housing is the main factor. Hopefully, housing inventory will increase and prices will stabilize.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:52 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Lol, no $8M home here. Have a small place about 30 minutes from work. We have 4 kids, 3 from both of our prior marriages but only have custody of two so we didn't get the stimulus for all 4. One child is young and in diapers. The oldest child did not receive any stimulus in the first round for whatever reason. Our lot cost $119K in 2016, and I spent $55k building a small home on it myself. It just assessed for $440K which came with an almost quadrupling of property taxes, and then insurance on the home increased as well due to the increased value. Those hikes alone ate almost all of our stimulus money. Our grocery bill is approaching $900/month, and we are NOT eating fillet mignon and prawns or eating out more than a few times a year.
I'm at the upper end of the eligibility scale, but pay CS to my ex. My partner works per diem and doesn't make as much, has deadbeat ex that can't keep a job and doesn't pay any CS.
It's a problem IMO, with the stimulus. $600 in stimulus (the 2nd one as an example) may pay the rent or mortgage for a month in Louisiana or Wyoming, but it won't last a week here in WA state. I have a relative whose property taxes are more than that monthly.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:14 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
I'm too young for diapers, and solved the property-tax/insurance dilemma by selling my house. But overall, the cost of taxes is overwhelmingly greater than the cumulative costs of all other expenses combined. If gasoline costs $0.99/gallon or $6.99/gallon, and while we're on the subject of gallons, if a gallon of milk is $0.99 or $6.99 - well, that is a tiny and unnoticeable difference.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:35 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Lol, no $8M home here. Have a small place about 30 minutes from work. We have 4 kids, 3 from both of our prior marriages but only have custody of two so we didn't get the stimulus for all 4. One child is young and in diapers. The oldest child did not receive any stimulus in the first round for whatever reason. Our lot cost $119K in 2016, and I spent $55k building a small home on it myself. It just assessed for $440K which came with an almostquadrupling of property taxes, and then insurance on the home increased as well due to the increased value. Those hikes alone ate almost all of our stimulus money. Our grocery bill is approaching $900/month, and we are NOT eating fillet mignon and prawns or eating out more than a few times a year.
I'm at the upper end of the eligibility scale, but pay CS to my ex. My partner works per diem and doesn't make as much, has deadbeat ex that can't keep a job and doesn't pay any CS.
It's a problem IMO, with the stimulus. $600 in stimulus (the 2nd one as an example) may pay the rent or mortgage for a month in Louisiana or Wyoming, but it won't last a week here in WA state. I have a relative whose property taxes are more than that monthly.
Neither of these things are really related to stimulus funding. Housing prices are jumping everywhere, and tax assessments are going up too. The stimulus was never intended to cancel out all inflationary pressure.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:08 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Saying your property was re-assessed, sending your tax rate higher along with your home insurance, is a very different statement from your original one:

Quote:
due to inflated costs of fuel, groceries, materials, and other basic consumer needs!
Groceries, fuel and other consumer goods haven't inflated by 2-300% over last year, OP. If property reassessments are pushing you out of your home, you should get out of the Seattle area or Bay Area.

If you want people to commiserate with you, you should have this topic moved to the Seattle forum.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:35 PM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Actually had one of my best years in a long while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics