Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 04:36 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Depending on your age, where you live, and your lifestyle it could be a lot of money or it could help make your life better. I live in a 1.3M house that's 35 years old. One could buy a brand new condo with a 1M but forget a house.

A million is a nice start for a 25 year old who graduated but even better for a 65 year old retired person with a government pension.
So, you're already a millionaire. Nice.

I wish I got a million at 25 as a start lol.

I know people who aren't rich, middle class, who make it fine on just a couple hundred thousand of dollars in retirement assets. A best friend of mine's mother who is in very bad health isn't wealthy at all, but she's comfortable enough for the vast amount of care she needs from now on. She was just diagnosed with PAH, which I had never heard of before. Among the other dozen health issues she has. She won't be driving an Escalade but she will be able to afford her assisted living, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Some introverts on CD could never spend a million. They have such minimalistic lifestyles it would barely make a dent.
Lol, well I'm not an introvert but please, if anyone wants to give me a challenge of spending a million bucks from my bed online I'll happily prove that statement wrong. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 05:21 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
A million US won't buy you a BUILDING LOT in most Canadian cities, but a lottery win in Canada is considered a "windfall". You don't pay any taxes. You get it all. We sold the house mom is in in the US and took a lease back. With insurance paid and she doesn't have too many expenses, she's got a million US. I figure if she lives another decade (quite likely) it will be gone. Started life with nothing, ended with zero.

Old 05-27-2021, 05:31 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
A million US won't buy you a BUILDING LOT in most Canadian cities, but a lottery win in Canada is considered a "windfall". You don't pay any taxes. You get it all. We sold the house mom is in in the US and took a lease back. With insurance paid and she doesn't have too many expenses, she's got a million US. I figure if she lives another decade (quite likely) it will be gone. Started life with nothing, ended with zero.
Canada is almost 3.9 million square miles vs the US almost 3.8 million. We could probably find a lot of lots to build on under 1mm in both counties

Old 05-27-2021, 08:13 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Canada is almost 3.9 million square miles vs the US almost 3.8 million. We could probably find a lot of lots to build on under 1mm in both counties
Unless it is on top of undiscovered gold deposit, or good farmland, then what good is it if you already have a home, job, and life. You can plan on selling old home for probably a lot and then go live on it, but there are likely no jobs nearby. What will you do for living if not on top of gold, nor can you farm?

Old 05-27-2021, 09:16 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
...You can plan on selling old home for probably a lot and then go live on it, but there are likely no jobs nearby. What will you do for living if not on top of gold, nor can you farm?
Retire.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:50 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
So, you're already a millionaire. Nice.
Thanks but where I live it's nothing special. There are lots of millionaires because real estate is sky high. Of course there are outstanding mortgages on some while others are paid off and some have built up impressive equity. My city is ranked 11 from an article back in 2019. I'm sure net worth has gone up for all the cities. https://www.macleans.ca/economy/mone...munities-2019/

Everywhere you walk there are tons of millionaires. Tons. But when it's one of the most expensive cities to live in a million really isn't impressive.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:20 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,150,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Agreed.

It IS a lot of payola to me. If I won a million right now, I would call in to work tomorrow and say SEEYA. Of course, I am going to retire anyway, in 10 months, so I am plenty prepared already. An extra mill would be a massive cushion for me and would most likely mean a change in my living conditions (an addition or even a second home). It IS a lot of money.
I agree. I've been retired for a few years, now, and my wife and I are not "hurting", by any means, but throw me another million dollars, and I could see a serious "bump" in our lifestyle.....

Old 05-28-2021, 06:04 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that people are downplaying a million dollars?

I don’t care what expensive metro you’re in. I don’t care if your traditional 3 bedroom house is 1.5 million or 3 million. Even if it paid for 1/3 of your mortgage, that’s a decade of working day in and day out of you paying a mortgage month after month after month. It would also save associated interest cost.

Someone even said it would be a “nice start” for a young person. By nice start, you mean, if they invested it young, they’d never need to save another dime, they could retire early, and have multi millions, then yes.

If I SWAG and say 1 million is 600k after tax, and then SWAG again that’s basically probably close to my entire career earnings to this point after tax, savings, ect. I’ve had excellent jobs that puts me in the top 5 percentile of earnings for my age this entire time. That’s a lot of stress, grinding, traffic, and days at the office to “win” free and clear to say the least. Plus, it’s a lump sum all earned at once with future earning potential.

I’d consider myself a “Henry”. High earnings not rich yet. And the effect of that sum of money would simply be life transforming. And there’s a lot of people worse off than me.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 05-28-2021 at 06:44 AM..

Old 05-28-2021, 06:43 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
As you well know, that money didn’t grow unless it was invested AND the investments did well on the whole. That is with few buy high sell low losses and little giving away of all your gains to “money managers”. So you are absolutely right. Of course world events can have dramatic effects too.
It's not complicated and really there's no excuse, aside from greed, or an overwhelming risk aversion, not to beat inflation.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It seems to me that some people who realize they will never have $1 million try to convince themselves that $1 million is just a paltry sum of money.

LOL
Yep.

Folks do the same thing over in the Employment forum with six figure salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics