Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 11:23 PM

2,709 posts, read 1,042,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Many small landlords were put in very difficult positions. They did not get the funding they needed to cover the lost rent created by government action. It is only fair that the government compensate them for the losses they incurred via the eviction moratorium which eliminated the legal avenue for landlords to follow to remove tenants who do not pay their rent. I know a few people who own small multifamily properties who have not received any rent from their tenants during the entire moratorium despite the fact that some of these tenants did not lose their job during the pandemic. Additionally, the landlords still needed to respond to tenant requests for repairs, etc., and ensure that properties were being properly maintained during the shutdown. They bore all the costs, and some landlords had lost their own jobs. Some were forced to sell their properties last year (at discounted prices) as the end of the moratorium kept being pushed out and they could no longer cover the expenses. Not all landlords are large, corporate, owners. Many are just people who bought a multifamily or two over time that they fixed up and maintained on their own to provide supplemental income to their modest jobs.
Exactly

Old 06-25-2021, 02:25 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,230,174 times
And it goes on.......
CDC Director Extends the Eviction Moratorium for 30 days
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...oratorium.html

Old 06-25-2021, 03:51 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,310,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
California to use federal COVID funds to pay off past-due rent accumulated during pandemic
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktla.co...past-june/amp/

This is just another plan to put the taxpayer on the hook for all rent. Not renters, not landlords: taxpayers fund everything. How nice. Until the money runs out. Then what?
They print more money. Problem solved.

Old 06-25-2021, 05:16 AM

4,239 posts, read 2,473,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
They print more money. Problem solved.
Allow me to rephrase that:

Until the money with any purchasing power runs out. Then what?

Old 06-25-2021, 05:25 AM

6,486 posts, read 3,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The end result won't be the same for those landlords who were forced to sell at a loss or declare bankruptcy themselves. Nor is the end result the same for the taxpayers who will be forced to pay the rent bills twice... once to the tenant who didn't deserve the money and then again to the landlord who DID deserve the money.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:54 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,667,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The end result won't be the same for those landlords who were forced to sell at a loss or declare bankruptcy themselves.
Question: Did the pandemic result in a significant number of landlords being forced to sell or declare bankruptcy? I'm not a landlord anymore, so I don't frequent any forums for landlords or keep current on issues such as this.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:06 AM

20,165 posts, read 9,065,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I don't think Monday morning quarterbacking is useful in this case. The pandemic required a "Ready! Fire! Aim!" approach.

Prior to the Pandemic, the USA had the best economy in the memory of any person alive today. For example, Las Vegas' unemployment rate was in the 3.5%-range; anyone with a pulse & who could fog a mirror could get a good job.

Then the Wuhan virus made it here. Unemployment peaked at 34% in April.

Something had to be done right away.

The current problem is far different than the problem in April 2020, of course. The problem today is that Federal Government is now harming the economy rather than helping. It proves the old adage that the closest thing to perpetual motion is a "temporary" government program.
four million people quit their jobs in April 2021 according the the BLS.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:57 AM

6,053 posts, read 3,770,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Question: Did the pandemic result in a significant number of landlords being forced to sell or declare bankruptcy? I'm not a landlord anymore, so I don't frequent any forums for landlords or keep current on issues such as this.
I don't have the figures you're looking for, but I suspect that quite a few landlords have lost lots of money with devastating results due to being unable to collect rent. Here's an article about a landlord in Sacramento, CA.

"A Sacramento-based rental property owner has filed for bankruptcy, stating a lack of rent payments during the Covid-19 pandemic have sunk him financially."

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...cy-filing.html

Old 06-25-2021, 03:31 PM

8,097 posts, read 7,470,654 times
Just saw on CNBC today, small landlords struggling to get Fed money. To give out money both the landlord and tenant have to fill out paperwork but the tenant has no financial incentive. So the small landlords are left twisting in the wind.

Want less affordable housing stock in America's cities? Bankrupt small landlords.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/25/the-...-says-one.html

The one landlord I saw interviewed was a middle aged black guy. I'm guessing he didn't inherit his buildings; probably works his butt off keeping them nice. I've been a landlord so I know what a hassle it can be to make a few bucks.

Old 06-25-2021, 04:30 PM

2,751 posts, read 1,789,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Just saw on CNBC today, small landlords struggling to get Fed money. To give out money both the landlord and tenant have to fill out paperwork but the tenant has no financial incentive. So the small landlords are left twisting in the wind.

Want less affordable housing stock in America's cities? Bankrupt small landlords.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/25/the-...-says-one.html

The one landlord I saw interviewed was a middle aged black guy. I'm guessing he didn't inherit his buildings; probably works his butt off keeping them nice. I've been a landlord so I know what a hassle it can be to make a few bucks.
Exactly, the government is doing their best to give institutional investors control over all of the residential rental stock, they're much better situated to be able to afford the carry costs with non-paying tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics