Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 02:32 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Happy hour specials usually have discounts on food and drinks. Usually 4-7pm
Oh yes, I remember. I obviously haven't been to a bar in a long time. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 02:42 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Do you mean like an "early bird special"? I haven't seen anything like that in ages.
Yes, but most places call them "Happy Hour", and I'm not talking about bars, but places like Texas Roadhouse, P.F. Chang, Outback Steakhouse and a number of local places

Old 08-17-2021, 02:54 PM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I like the "early bird specials" because they usually are smaller portions. I don't like the large portions served in most American restaurants. I hate wasting food. And I don't do doggy bags without an actual dog at home.
How come? I love having leftovers the next day!

Old 08-17-2021, 02:59 PM

We have some stores in this area called "Falling Prices", they get merchandise from Amazon, Target and a number of other stores, some of the food is near or at the "best used by" date but that's ok half the stuff in my pantry is probably close to expired. They also have a lot of personal care items and pet food. They are open Tues - Sat. On Tuesday everything is $6, Wed $4, Thursday $2, Friday $1 and Saturday 25 cents. We get large bags of Peet's coffee there, and last week I went on $1 dollar day and got 15 five pound bags of Natural Balance Dog food for a dollar a bag, it normally sells for $15.99 I donated to a pet rescue and they were delighted. I also got 12 bags of Bully Sticks (retail $19.99 each) I kept those for my dogs. If you're ever in the Sacramento area look them up but get there when they open @ 10 am. It's always hit or miss, sometimes you go and all they have is junk, but other times you can score some awesome deals. https://www.fallingprices.com/about-us

Old 08-17-2021, 03:02 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The best way to appear fair and balanced is to sprinkle in some truth, reason and common sense amongst the propaganda. Make no mistake, the Epoch Times is as hardcore, white wing messaging as it gets.
You mean like the NY Times? Project Veritas is successfully suing and will probably get a very big payout. James O'Keefe refuses to settle, wants to destroy it like Hulk Hogan's lawsuit ended Gawker. Mainstream propaganda media must be held accountable for their lies.

Are you racist or just ignorant? If you get your propaganda from the NY Times and their ilk you are brainwashed. The Epoch Times is a free Chinese, anti CCP publication. Their offices have been burned and journalists killed by the far left Commies.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:05 PM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes, but most places call them "Happy Hour", and I'm not talking about bars, but places like Texas Roadhouse, P.F. Chang, Outback Steakhouse and a number of local places
I have never seen it called Happy Hour at a diner or restaurant. Only at bars. It still says "Early Bird Menu" or "Early Bird Specials" in diners and restaurants here. Usually something like 4-5:30. Bar happy hours are usually a little later and include drink and food specials. As I said before though, chains are different than local places. Luckily down here we still have a ton of locally owned, non-chain diners and restaurants. Almost all the diners have Early Bird specials.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:44 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I stay stocked up regardless of prices or inflation so I can always just sit out buying some things for years if I need to.

I tend to always have at least two years worth of paper products, kitchen items, bath items, detergent, etc.

Sometimes I'll have three -- or MORE years of something...and I'll get down to two years' worth, and psychologically I feel like that's a low stash. Even though it's still two years. Strange, I know. But I wasn't running around like crazy when there was no toilet paper to be found. I got to sit back and just watch the frenzy. I'm not a pepper by any means. I just think it's best to be as prepared with as many "needs items" that one does use daily, weekly, mostly.

I haven't been as low as "just" one year's worth of paper towels, toilet paper, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, toothpaste, bath soap, dish detergent, laundry detergent, spices, plastic food storage bags, lotion, candles, cleaning supplies, weed killer, plant fertilizer, furnace filters -- in YEARS!

(And that's just off the top of my head.)
How to say you are a prepper without saying you're a prepper ;-)

Old 08-17-2021, 04:17 PM

810 posts, read 871,881 times
What to buy now:

- USPS Forever stamps. Currently .55 but on August 29th they go up to .58 (a 5.45% increase).

- I read that coffee may be increasing also because of drought in Brazil.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:18 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
I've been watching a lot of prepping videos on youtube and keep an eye on the cost of groceries. They have been climbing up. So during my weekly grocery shopping, I buy 2-3 of a few items and keep stashing them away. The next week, I'll choose a few more items to buy multiples of. It just makes sense to be a good steward of my money and make sure when shortages come I won't be affected too badly.

With the drought in the west, this years harvest (or lack therof) will be reflected in next years grocery costs and availability. It just makes sense to buy and store items at a lower price than continually pay higher and higher costs. Nothing wrong with being prepared.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have never seen it called Happy Hour at a diner or restaurant. Only at bars. It still says "Early Bird Menu" or "Early Bird Specials" in diners and restaurants here. Usually something like 4-5:30. Bar happy hours are usually a little later and include drink and food specials. As I said before though, chains are different than local places. Luckily down here we still have a ton of locally owned, non-chain diners and restaurants. Almost all the diners have Early Bird specials.
That's funny, almost all places call it that here a few of our favorites:

Ruth Chris's Steak House: https://www.ruthschris.com/menu/happy-hour/
Texas Roadhouse
Yard House https://www.yardhouse.com/happy-hour
PF Chang

It's not uncommon for restaurants to have a happy hour between 4 & 6 PM then another one after 9pm. I haven't seen any of them offer an "early bird menu", maybe it's a regional thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics