Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2021, 11:30 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You do realize that costs of childbirth are significant even with insurance. I think it is up to around $5k after the insurance pays its part. Most people are not getting free stuff.
....so what?

They're getting free stuff by way of people who don't need that coverage being forced to pay premiums for that coverage. They're getting free stuff by way of contributions towards their premiums on the front end.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:37 AM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
If you consider 1 in 8 “rare,” then so be it. I think that makes it pretty common and foreseeable. On the other hand, if no women got pregnant, we’d be in trouble. Women aren’t required to get pregnancy screenings on a regular basis either. We only get it if there is a reason, such as a gynecological procedure that could harm a fetus or symptoms that could be related to pregnancy.

Condoms are not 100% effective.
If you don’t understand the difference between getting cancer, and choosing to become pregnant, there isn’t any meaningful conversation that we can engage in on this subject.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:56 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I don't know what most of this has to do with anything I said. I do like how I said contraception availability varies by income and your response is "but look how cheap the least effective method of contraception is!"

Even if all women's health care were provided free at point of sale, it's always going to be easier for an office worker to make time for an IUD appointment than for a bus-riding wage slave. Pretending this is all down to individual responsibility is ignorant at best.
Really? You blame Reagan but don't want to acknowledge that it was primarily the Dems that created the problem.

Also availability of Medicaid gives access to contraception methods. Condoms are cheap and highly effective (98%) approx the same as methods such as the IUD or the pill if don't want to visit a clinic. Condoms also reduce STDs that other methods do not. Diaphragm (95%), spermici (80%) and "natural planning" (90%) are the least effective methods.

Pretending that it is not up to the individual to take precautions is just silly - who is supposed to do it? Are you arguing for forcing contraception prevention methods? Wage slave, you would rather they be a slave to the child they make out of wedlock? An IUD appointment is once every couple of years, vs caring for a child for 18 years, kind of an easy trade-off. Quit with the excuses.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:57 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
that's kind of funny, we conform to government oversight every single day of our lives. Take a look at the freedom index, the US is in 17th place:
Actually if looked at the data - it is homicides and criminal justice that knocks the US off the top all the way down to 17 out of 162 - too many "woke" DA's not prosecuting criminals.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:15 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Really? You blame Reagan but don't want to acknowledge that it was primarily the Dems that created the problem.
The Dems are pro-Capital neoliberals who suck as bad as Republicans but who gives a hoot, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Also availability of Medicaid gives access to contraception methods. Condoms are cheap and highly effective (98%) approx the same as methods such as the IUD or the pill if don't want to visit a clinic. Condoms also reduce STDs that other methods do not. Diaphragm (95%), spermici (80%) and "natural planning" (90%) are the least effective methods.

Pretending that it is not up to the individual to take precautions is just silly - who is supposed to do it? Are you arguing for forcing contraception prevention methods? Wage slave, you would rather they be a slave to the child they make out of wedlock? An IUD appointment is once every couple of years, vs caring for a child for 18 years, kind of an easy trade-off. Quit with the excuses.
Why is class mobility nil if individuality is so important? Why are all of these various lifestyle measures predicted by income instead of personality? Every single piece of evidence points to income being the determining factor. I'd ask if literally any kind of evidence would convince you that poverty is not a choice but given how obvious it is the answer is clearly "no". "Oh poor people keep making wrong decisions, it's clearly just coincidental that poor kids grow up to be poor adults, systemic inter-generational poverty definitely doesn't exist or impact health and well-being! All good decision-makers get born to rich parents, I guess their prenatal souls aced their job interview in Heaven."

Old 11-16-2021, 12:10 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Maybe the mods can close this thread since it no longer has anything to do with the workers' revolt.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:38 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Maybe the mods can close this thread since it no longer has anything to do with the workers' revolt.
We've pretty much covered it. But I'll add one more thing: the psychological factor. I've never experienced such low morale at my workplace. People are quitting who I thought were lifers, for whom this was their dream job. Everyone's just beaten down.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:36 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
For many people in their late 50s and 60s who are at, or near, retirement age and financial secure, the social aspect of the job is a big factor in their decision as to whether they continue to work as opposed to retiring. Covid has had a significant impact on the in-person and face-to-face office structure and interactions. As this condition now approaches 2 years, many have just decided if they are going to be alone and/or working from home they may as well ditch the working part altogether. The majority of those who decided to leave are unlikely to return.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:37 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
I still see job postings for restaurants and other places that are offering $11-12 an hour. I laugh when I see this thinking good luck to them getting anyone to work for that wage.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:01 AM

880 posts, read 565,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I still see job postings for restaurants and other places that are offering $11-12 an hour. I laugh when I see this thinking good luck to them getting anyone to work for that wage.

I guess I don't understand where you're coming from. Is the assumption you're making that every job that exists has a deserving person who's supporting an entire family by themselves?

Because $11-12 an hour for an easy restaurant job is absolutely perfect for a kid in high school that needs to learn work ethic and gain experience in the labor force, as well as anyone who just wants a part-time job to make extra income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics