Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 10:49 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
How is this moving the goal posts? I'm telling you that peak oil has most likely already occurred.

You should have bolded MOST LIKELY...because MOST LIKELY equals some heavy duty irrefutable facts! Whoo-whee...you hammered me on THAT one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 07:55 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Conventional oil production. The US has never and will never surpass its 1970 conventional oil production peak (ie, not including shale and offshore oil, because those are unconventional sources of oil production).
Conventional, unconventional, it doesn't matter. Production is production.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:23 AM

2,612 posts, read 930,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
You can only plant so many trees at once. The rate of tree planting if fixed. Therefore no infinite growth in the lumber industry.
Okay, so we have an infinite supply but we cant extract it at an infinite rate. But we dont need to. I bet when the population was a fraction of its current size people complained about how it is overpopulated and we will run out of resources. The earth is a long way away from not having the resources to manage its population.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:45 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Okay, so we have an infinite supply but we cant extract it at an infinite rate. But we dont need to. I bet when the population was a fraction of its current size people complained about how it is overpopulated and we will run out of resources. The earth is a long way away from not having the resources to manage its population.
Rate of extraction is what matters most here. You need to be able to increase rate of extraction if you want growth. Because rate is fixed, not growth can happen beyond a certain point. There is a ceiling.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:06 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Peak Oil predictions have a long history:
https://gizmodo.com/weve-been-incorr...-ce-1668986354

I remember attending a college presentation back in the late 1970s where the speaker predicted that we would run out of oil in the early 200s. He was a proponent of fusion energy.
Every 10 years or so National Geographic comes out with their regular Peak Oil special issue. The World in Crisis.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Rate of extraction is what matters most here. You need to be able to increase rate of extraction if you want growth. Because rate is fixed, not growth can happen beyond a certain point. There is a ceiling.
There is a "ceiling" to rain water too.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Did people worry about future generations running to of wood so we have to start cutting back on fire? Didn't think so.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Conventional oil production. The US has never and will never surpass its 1970 conventional oil production peak (ie, not including shale and offshore oil, because those are unconventional sources of oil production).
I just filled up with "unconventional" oil. Took me just as many miles.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Peak conventional global oil production: 2006

Peak general (conventional+unconventional) global oil production: 2018 (most likely).

The wait is over. Peak oil is most likely behind us, not in front of us.
Why should I believe THIS prediction. In 2017 you most likely would have said peak oil has happened, but it wasn't. Who is to say there is not another peak a few years down the road? Who predicted shale oil in the 80s?

Old 11-26-2021, 06:37 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Did people worry about future generations running to of wood so we have to start cutting back on fire? Didn't think so.
As a Forester......not sure anybody cut back, but it was a major issue and yes, things changed.

It is the reason the German foresters came up with sustain yield concept.

It is the reason the National Forest system was established in the US.

Many more examples in other countries.

Britain almost lost WWII due to a lack of paper, and established forestry schools and forests in Britain so they would not run out of paper.

Then foresters became the "excess" supply and I ran into them at graduate school at the University of British Columbia. At that point, Britain had plenty of paper and forests and a excess of foresters so they all immigrated to Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holznot

https://www.thersa.org/fellowship/ne...ortage-of-wood

Last edited by 509; 11-26-2021 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics